Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a new treadmill. I would like to know how to start training a young pup to use it. He is about 13 weeks.. or should I wait?
I haven't decided on carpet or slats.. not sure which is better.
Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
is it a slat mill, carpet mill, or a regular persons electric treadmill?
Yes you can start to introduce your pup to it so when he gets a bit older he won't be afraid of it... don't start running him on it yet though... IMHO i always allow my pups to get on it but not use it at that age, i wait till they are full grown before doing any real hard work like mills or jennies...
Play ball, walks, springpole and flirtpole together helps you build a great relationship with your pup and helps keep them fit... JMO.. good luck and have fun..

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
Wait...no point in trying to work a pup. Overworking a pup can cause serious bone and joint issues later in life. Just stick with frisbee, tug o'war, etc etc...don't ask too much out of your dog until atleast 15mo, IMO. Your dogs frame will be fully grown by then, and you can begin to really work the dog.

·
Registered
776 Posts
at puppy stage , you want to use all thier resources to grow up , not out! It can be super hard to be patient .. believe me , i know ( Brock is 10 months so im gettin kinda close and really itchin!) but remember , this dog is gonna be a member of your family anf is gonna need that body for 12 - 16 or more years so dont let it get fudged up now! your building the foundation for his whole life right now! now is the time you love him , play with him and form the bond you will need if you want this dog to really drive to please you!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I put Bogart on the treadmill for his first time when he was 8 months old he was a natural and didn't have any issues with it. I only let him walk on it for 5 minutes a day just so he can get the feel for it on a very slow speed. I won't start working him until he is 18 months old. The fastest way to ruin a good pup is by trying to work him like a grown dog before he is ready. Let pups be pups let them grow and mature like they are supposed to. You will know when they are ready.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everyone

"Thank you"! Awesome, and excellent advice. I appreciate it.

It will most likely be a slat mill for dogs.
..not looking or wanting to buy anything fancy just yet.

It sounds like I can approach it the same way I train my dogs for weight pulling.
I never owned a treadmill (for dogs), so I didn't think :hammer: lol

Thanks again everyone :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
also remember that each "mill" is for different needs... slat is mainly for endurance/air and carpet is more to build muscle mass... please continue to ask questions when you finally get it and your hound is of age... you can cause allot of health problems to your hound if over worked...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also remember that each "mill" is for different needs... slat is mainly for endurance/air and carpet is more to build muscle mass... please continue to ask questions when you finally get it and your hound is of age... you can cause allot of health problems to your hound if over worked...
That is good to know about the different mills.. thank you. I will continue with questions.. I'm 45 years old and have owned this breed a long time.. :) I am still learning.
I like this message board.

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
my dog was on the treadmill at 5 months but it was only for like one minute at a time so he could know it wasnt something to be afraid of. It was an e-mill though not sure if you could get them introduced to a carpet mill or slat mill early.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.