Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shenzi is doing well with training. But when we give her a reward, she snatches it out of our hands. How do we teach her to be easy when giving her treats? Ill hold it from her, but shes just not getting it.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
put the treat in your closed hand then put the back of your hand to the mouth tell the dog take easy and when it opens its mouth softely you can turn your hand open it and give the treat.

that teaches them a soft mouth and saves your fingers. turst me it helps i trained peanut with his kibbles so they are tiny circles and he HAD a rough mouth. now he takes treats with his tounge and we no longer have to use that method he learned how to politely take rewards.

·
Registered
121 Posts
put the treat in your closed hand then put the back of your hand to the mouth tell the dog take easy and when it opens its mouth softely you can turn your hand open it and give the treat.

that teaches them a soft mouth and saves your fingers. turst me it helps i trained peanut with his kibbles so they are tiny circles and he HAD a rough mouth. now he takes treats with his tounge and we no longer have to use that method he learned how to politely take rewards.
Add verbal bridging to this excellent advice and you will help your dog learn even faster.
As above, treat in had moving toward dog, while you use the intermediate bridge (xxxxxxxx or guhguhguhguhguhguhguhguh). The instant the dog moves toward it, withdraw both the treat and the IB, and resume when they settle again. From their point of view, with both the food and the auditory support gone, they made it happen-- and they get it very quickly. Give the terminal bridge (X or Good) as you deliver the treat. Helps folks learn timing, too. You can listen to good bridging here:

Julie K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts