Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate and I together have 2 pitbulls and a blue heeler. They are all three considered inside dogs. The heeler is very protective of my roommate and hates males. My roomate's pitbull is a big love ball but I know if provoked, she would protect her territory. My pitbull is still a puppy.

My roommate has had some trouble/drama with some females in town. We have come home to a sticky note on the door saying "You need to keep your dogs locked up. We have had complaints of your dogs running lose." Signed Alva Police Department. We took it down to the police department and they informed us that they have not been having complaints and they would have never left a sticky note on the door if it would have been the case. Being pitbull owners...we (1)do not let our dogs run lose because of stereotypes (2)its plain unsafe. The drama is between my roommate and a female bartender that was messing around with her boyfriend blah blah blah.

My question is...I was thinking about putting a sign that clearly states "Beware of Guard Dogs: Pitbulls & Heeler" somewhere in sight. In a way I feel like this is extorting ours dogs but then again...I feel like should someone break in, they shouldn't expect it to be so easy. I don't want my friend's drama to lead to our dogs being (in worse case) taken away or "put-down" because some jerk broke in and was bit or worse...:snap::stick:

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Your roommate's drama shouldn't be yours too, but if it's reaching the home front, then it's completely unavoidable at this point. I don't recommend a Beware sign, as in most places, unfortunately, it's seen as a precursor to admitting the dog(s) that resides there may potentially bite or is knowingly vicious. A No Trespassing sign would be a better option to post outside the house, or in a window where it's completely visible. Also, I hope for the dogs' safety, and your peace of mind, that all dogs are kept crated when nobody is home to supervise.

I also recommend that your girlfriend have an adult discussion with the person she's having issues with, and either settle it like grown ups and move on, or continue on this path of self-destruction. If allowed to continue, it could not only affect you and the dogs, but all dogs of this breed (should the worst happen). Tell your roommate to get a restraining order or order of protection. It's that simple.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I have sign that says a house is not a home without a pit bull. Kinda gets the point across without any liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We do keep them in crates, DEFINITELY! Thanks for your advice. Though I have told her to be the better person and confront her drama...she is a girl and that is not always the right answer. ugh!

Your roommate's drama shouldn't be yours too, but if it's reaching the home front, then it's completely unavoidable at this point. I don't recommend a Beware sign, as in most places, unfortunately, it's seen as a precursor to admitting the dog(s) that resides there may potentially bite or is knowingly vicious. A No Trespassing sign would be a better option to post outside the house, or in a window where it's completely visible. Also, I hope for the dogs' safety, and your peace of mind, that all dogs are kept crated when nobody is home to supervise.

I also recommend that your girlfriend have an adult discussion with the person she's having issues with, and either settle it like grown ups and move on, or continue on this path of self-destruction. If allowed to continue, it could not only affect you and the dogs, but all dogs of this breed (should the worst happen). Tell your roommate to get a restraining order or order of protection. It's that simple.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
I have sign that says a house is not a home without a pit bull. Kinda gets the point across without any liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
I have a sign like that also! I don't put beware or any sign like that. But it's known what I have in the house(even though if he got out he'd just lick them to death probably! Ha!)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
police using a "sticky note".... LMAO.
i have basic security camera system. it was totally worth the money and i installed it myself. might be worth the investment for you too.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
police using a "sticky note".... LMAO.
i have basic security camera system. it was totally worth the money and i installed it myself. might be worth the investment for you too.
That's actually a great idea! Then the OP can press charges for harassment/trespassing and acquire a restraining order that much quicker.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Okay.. keep it simple..

NO TRESPASSING
VIOLATORS
at OWN RISK
WILL be PROSECUTED

I had signs made that said this and made signs myself.. in a house I lived in back in 02' it still is in the window by the front door and back door.. LOL
Covers all the bases.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I was told by the police in my area any sign that says beware of dogs, opens the door to
problems. Basically stating your dogs no matter the breed are vicious and you are aware of it. What I did was cut off "beware of" and placed a "no trespassing sign" up and attached "dogs" to it.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
as far as standard warning signs i agree with firehazard.
but i think the OP has a problem that goes beyond random trespassing. if you are being targeted by a specific person then it's a harassment issue and you can prevent reoccurring problems by proving who it is and getting a restraining order. i've had my own version of "crazy female bartenders" showing up to my house at 3am. law enforcement can't help you unless you actually saw them. get a witness statement. or have them recorded.
they won't lift a finger if you say "i THINK" it was her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts