Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Mandy, I'm new to this forum but I've been an avid pitbull lover and advocate for years. We currently have a red nose pitbull named CallaLily. We rescued her from a deadly situation several months ago. She's been the perfect dog. Obedient, sweet, gentle, great with our kids..

Well we recently rescued a blue pit named Luna. The two dogs are similar in age. They get along fairly well, both female, neither fixed yet. CallaLily hasn't been fixed yet because she had heartworms and that was top medical priority. She will be fixed next month. We've had Luna for a week and she will be fixed too.

Luna is also a sweetheart, but a tad more energetic than our other pit. She plays more roughly too. They've been together for a week and I'm noticing CallaLily is becoming more aggressive, copying Luna, even getting MORE hyper than Luna. They play constantly, it's never ending and getting to be annoying. I'm glad they're getting along but really? If they're not sleeping they're playing and jumping and nipping and wrestling.

This new dog has changed my dogs personality it seems, or is bringing out a different side of her. And we need to get this excitement and Chaos under control. Can we? And if so, how? We care about this new dog. But she may be more than we can handle. We've considered re-homing her, but aren't sure...

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
That's a very cute photo! I don't have multi dogs so I am sure others will chime in. But since you are not a new owner you know that they might one day never get along an you might have to crate and rotate. If you are not prepared that one day you might have to do that that I would suggest finding a new home since you don't want her to get comfortable and then have to readjust all over again of they start to not get along as they grow.

I would try and tire them out separately so they don't have as much energy together. What kind of exercise do they each get? I would also let them play but if they play harder than you want separate them and make them stop. You have to teach them what you find acceptable and what you don't. And not listening they can't play at all.

Have you heard of the two week shutdown? It basically explains how dogs do not show their true personality until they are comfortable and some steps to take in order to help them get there. NILIF is also great. Just search up top on the key words :)

And welcome!!

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I would definitely back off and move back to square one. I always limit dog on dog interactions until I have established a bond with the new dog, and can get him or her to listen to basic commands. Then, with dogs who are ok to be together, I very closely monitor play sessions and time together. I practice calling them out of play before they get too amped up and I stop play before it reaches levels I don't like the feel of.
Good luck. Do you own a break stick? Do you know what you would do if they got in a fight? How would you break it up? It's best to at least consider this and have a plan.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Welcome to the board! :) Same sex aggression is common in this breed and seeing where you have two intact females the result of them not getting along is unfortunately common. Even if you had a male/female home chances are they wouldn't or won't always get along either . Most owners on this board live the crate and rotate life style and everyone is happy and the house remains peaceful. I only have one girl ATM but plan on a male in my future and I also know crate and rotate with the spoiled little bitch I have will be a given! Lol! I'm glad your girls are being spayed because it will prevent pyometra and other cancers but its not going to "fix" the DA these dogs can have towards eachother.
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/18546-thinking-about-adding-second-dog.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank u all for great input. I think well definitely work on being more authoritative, keeping them separate more often. They both listen and obey but it goes out the window when they get to playing. Well five this a shot, I'd hate to see the new blue pit go back to the shelter. But we can't keep living in chaos.
To AMES: the both of them get lots of play outside, we have a 1/4 acre fenced backyard. My husband and I run with them and try to tire them out. We crate the new dog while at work and at night while the other dog is uncrated in the same room. But other than that we haven't tried crate rotating. Well try!
To KINGSGURL: we will definitely separate them more, could they be overwhelmed this first week? We do monitor their play, when I see it getting too rough I step in, they back off to me but get back to it minutes later. We don't have a break stick, where would I get one?
To BLUE NOSE BELLA: they both definitely need spayed. My red nose pit is always trying to hump the new blue pit. Plus before we rescued both of them, they were being used for breeding like crazy. Our red nose was also severely abused and neglected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts