Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my puppy is almost 6 months old. She loves water, so it's hard keepin a water bowl filled with water in her kennel. At 1st i started out using a plastic, rectangular shaped kitty litter pan as her water bowl. That worked somewhat. The problem with that was my puppy would sit/lay in the water bowl and most of the water would splash out of the container. Then she would play with the kitter litter pan, so the rest of the water would be splashed out eventually. So I came up with a new idea. I purchased a mop bucket and tied it to a corner of her kennel, but eventually she tugged on that for so long that the knots that i tied came loose, and she ended up emptying the bucket of water. Then I decided to use a small/medium metal bowl to put her water in because she wouldnt be able to lay in that so i thought that would do the trick for sure. Nope. Soon as I put that bowl of water in her kennel, she put her front paws in it and started diggin in it like it was dirt. Plz help. any tips will be appreciated. I just need something that will hold water that my puppy cant turn over or chew up. Its too hot for her not to have access to water 24/7

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
You can buy a water bottle to hook on the kennel. They sell them for dogs and also small animals.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
So i reckon this is an outside kennel... why not give her the best of both worlds?? A Kiddy pool! lol Both of my dog runs have their own kiddy pool, and I have one kiddy pool just out in the yard for the dogs that can roam. I just got two more kiddy pools which will be put in the front part of the yard.

EDIT: I don't water the dogs inside, they only have access to water outside.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
You could try a large water bottle similiar to those you would put on a hamster/gerbil cage. They sell em for dogs and cats too. I hope that works for you. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea i saw those at petsmart. i started to get 1, but i just knew some way some how she'd figure out a way to chew it right off the fence. I might go back and purchase 1 becuse it cant hurt to try b/c hey it might just work. But how does it actually work? Does it constantly drip? Does water drip out just when she licks on it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it's an outdoor kennel. And she has a kiddy pool and loves it. I thought about puttin the pool in her kennel, but i think the pool is too large.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
What about a horse water trough? It's not as wide as a kiddy pool. it's long enough, but narrow yanno?

EDIT: How big is your kennel? IMO, all dogs should have at least 10x10 of living space. I know I wouldn't want to be left in a kennel as big as a closet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's a 10x10 kennel. I just don't think the kiddy pool will fit through the kennel door. is a horse trough heavy? because that might would work if she cant turn it over or play with it.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
it's a 10x10 kennel. I just don't think the kiddy pool will fit through the kennel door. is a horse trough heavy? because that might would work if she cant turn it over or play with it.
You don't need a huge kiddy pool, i have the smaller ones in my kennels and a huge one out in the yard. Yeah a horse trough is a lot heavier than the pools and buckets and all that jazz. They even have ones with a plug at the bottom so you can drain it to clean it. Just face the plug towards the outside of the kennel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I already have the kiddy pool. I bought it a while back, and all they had were the large ones. They're always sold out because people buy them for their pets. So when 1 store finally had them in stock, all they had were the large ones. So i bought it and she loves it. Do you know about how much a horse trough costs?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
You would have to hook it up on the outside so it couldn't be knocked off. They are only supposed to drip if licked.

What indigo is talking about is probably a better fix for your situation though.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Do you have a hose? You could take the dog out and throw then pool in from the top or lift it up and put it through the bottom then fill it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I cant put the pool in from the top of the kennel b/c i built this wooden roof top over her kennel so she would have shade and so she wouldnt get rained on as bad. And i cant put the pool in from the bottom b/c if i raise the kennel up, it will bump the wooden roof.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
If it's a traditional kennel with a door large enough for a human to walk through you can get the kiddy pool in there if you don't want to spend the money. Just roll it on in there.

EDIT: it really depends on the size you're gonna get. But you can bank on spending at least 75 bones

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
lol, if you get it in there i cant wait to hear how much she loves it

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
You can get small plastic kiddy pools I have a kiddy pool , a dog house, and a water bucket int a 12x6 dog run and it fits ok. You could just fill up the kiddy pool and use that for water and bathing just change it everyday. Most of my dogs now drink out of the pools anyway I guess they just like bath water! lol
I also use metal galvanized buckets clipped to the side with a double ended snap and that works great. Bailey does try to play with her water bowl but when I pout more toys in the run she left it alone.
Just some ideas good luck

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
do you have a petsmart near you they tend to sell the smaller kiddie pools and there only like 8 bucks, you should try that its what i was going to recommend, and ive found its better to just stalk up on them seeing as they can sell out and pups tend to chew them up or they get holes so i buy like at least 5 at a time

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok i got the pool in! and i didnt have to cram it in. i dont know why i was thinking that pool was SOOO big. im uploading pics to show you all right now

1 - 20 of 38 Posts