Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard some contriversal things about getting your pets vaccinated. The vets say to vaccinate every year, but others say this eventually causes cancers in pets as they get older. The vaccines should be good for 7 years and the Rabies for 3 years. Think about it, we don't get vaccinated every year, only as children, so why should our dogs? Are we killing our pets without realizing it? Being that it is the law to have them vaccinated every year, what should you do?

What is your opinion?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I say it is very possible that we are adding cancer or illnesses due to vaccines. In my opinion it's all business. I will only do what is required by law within my city. And that I believe is only the Rabies, however, they have their ways around it. For example, the vet is going to say, I can't give the Rabies shot, unless your dog is "up to date" with his vaccines. And that's when I show him the empty viles that I admintered myself, which only cost $10, LMFAO.

Since you mentioned humans, it's similar to the link between Autism and Vaccinations. In addition, that new vaccine that's to help prevent cervical cancer in women, yet the latest I heard, it caused problems instead.

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
I will be having my dogs titer tested yearly from now on. The vet that does the titer tests charges $91 for the test and if it comes back that the dog needs a booster that charge covers whatever shots they need to have.

Except rabies I will continue to do that every 3 years as the law says.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I will be having my dogs titer tested yearly from now on. The vet that does the titer tests charges $91 for the test and if it comes back that the dog needs a booster that charge covers whatever shots they need to have.

Except rabies I will continue to do that every 3 years as the law says.
that is exactly what I am going to do with Peanut but I put him on Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI) and for the titers its $30 after the insurance and Rabies I have no choice for county here requires it

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
i dont think you guys should worry about it too much.
theres no point in comparing humans to dogs.
dogs sometimes drink from puddle water and eat some weird crap, which exposes them to a whole world of different stuff. we wont touch some of the stuff they eat so we wouldnt be exposed to it like they are.
IMO

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
dogs sometimes drink from puddle water and eat some weird crap, which exposes them to a whole world of different stuff. we wont touch some of the stuff they eat so we wouldnt be exposed to it like they are.
IMO
So you don't think that a human created vaccine could be detrimental to the growing dogs immune system, because they aren't human and ingest weird things and drink out of puddles?? That doesn't make too much sense JMO

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
IMO
I think it's valid to compare humans to dogs, because when it comes to vaccines or medicines for us humans, what do we test them on? Animals, right? Therefore, if we need a vaccine only when we're kids why would dogs need them all their life? Especially since they age faster than us.

And yes they are exposed to a whole world of different stuff, yet their digestive system is designed to handle all of that. In other words, wild dogs don't get vaccines and live for however long, and our dogs get cancer, tumors, etc...?

In addition, when I walk my dog I don't even let him drink water from the street, so I would say that the majority of dogs that are pets are not exposed to all that "stuff", yet we're going to shoot them up with vaccines every year to keep them immune to the aforementioned viruses/bacterias etc?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what my vet said when I emailed them about the titer testing.....

We were just wondering if you guys offered titer testing? I've been doing some research on giving the dogs vaccines every year and it's making me think a little bit if we are over doing it? If you do offer this testing, how much is it and if a vaccine is needed would that be included in the cost of the testing? Thanks so much.

Good question! We do offer titers- a DHLP/Parvo by SVN&HI(best method) is 125.00. We also offer the titer by ELISA(less accurate) for 80.00. Rabies vaccination(15.00) is required by law & no titers are available. Routine exam w vaccs is 26.00 & DhlPP(includes Parvo) is 15.00. Titer testing is expensive & you may still need to vaccinate. Risk of vaccinations is minimal & cost is less.

A little discouraging considering these people are taking care of our dogs and they really don't seem to have concern about what I'm worried about.

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
Vaccines are a big money maker in the world of vets, and some believe vaccinations are truly the best way to go...it's really up to you to do the research and make these decisions for yourself and dogs. It can be more expensive in the short run, but what about weighing the long term benefits?

Truth About Vaccines

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
So you don't think that a human created vaccine could be detrimental to the growing dogs immune system, because they aren't human and ingest weird things and drink out of puddles?? That doesn't make too much sense JMO
I think it's valid to compare humans to dogs, because when it comes to vaccines or medicines for us humans, what do we test them on? Animals, right? Therefore, if we need a vaccine only when we're kids why would dogs need them all their life? Especially since they age faster than us.

And yes they are exposed to a whole world of different stuff, yet their digestive system is designed to handle all of that. In other words, wild dogs don't get vaccines and live for however long, and our dogs get cancer, tumors, etc...?

In addition, when I walk my dog I don't even let him drink water from the street, so I would say that the majority of dogs that are pets are not exposed to all that "stuff", yet we're going to shoot them up with vaccines every year to keep them immune to the aforementioned viruses/bacterias etc?
Hmmm i didn't think of all that.
i guess this is why im on here, to learn.
thank you both for the insite.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts