Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i been reading about this weight pulling and it sound like it could be fun for me and Rhyno. i just have a few questions. what do i have to do to even be able to be part of a competition, do i need papers for him or something? how old should he be before i even start making him pull weights? how can i train him? any help would be great, thanks!!

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
If you have papers, you can compete without much issue. If you dont, you can do a limited registration through the UKC. They require that your dog is spayed/nuetered. This allows you to compete in all UKC sports except for comformation. You shouldn't start weight pulling your dog until he's ATLEAST 12 months of age. This is because when he's younger his bones are still growing and you can cause serious joint and bone issues that will effect him later on. The ideal age is around 15-18 months.

You can either get a training weight pull harness to start, or get a competition harness. A good harness will run you 50+. Google Table Rock Harnesses. Good stuff. When you start with him it's just a matter of teaching him that it's FUN to WP. You start off by putting the harness on him and just having him walk around, getting used to the idea of the harness. You'll do this several times until he gets used to it. Then you can start with a jug full of rocks, and just walk him around the yard pulling it behind him, to get him used to the idea of having something behind him. Then you can slowly add weight. I've seen people use everything from tires, to logs as training tools. When he gets comfortable with pulling, then you can get a sled, and slowly work at adding weight. A dog will pull the weight over a 16 foot length. Don't over work him, he will not quit, he's a pit, quit isn't in his vocab. You have to watch him and know when he's had enough. Good luck! :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
The ADBA lets you do wp now with an LP? I knew before they didn't, just wondering if they had changed the rules.

·
Banned
835 Posts
this person (OP) was thinking out loud.
WP is something that take alot of effort,
it's not just a spur of the moment idea.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Take up smoking crack or something it's alot cheaper (but not as much fun) you can't just have 1 pull dog they are addicttive you always got to have 1 more, Then you find yourself crisscrossing the country to go to just one more pull and get one more fix. Well Just My Opinion, Gotta go get loaded up for the next pull !! :confused::confused::confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts