Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, two black nosed dogs threw 1 red nosed pup out of a litter of 5. I was wondering what everyones thoughts on that is. As I know it the rednose is a recessive gene within the strain that is OFRN. I was wondering if because of throwbacks and all what that may mean for the 1 rednose pup..

where ya at TX Reddog?? :)

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
A light brown or red nose is (bb), or homozygous recessive. Being homozygous recessive, both parents must contribute one recessive (b) gene to the offspring to produce the red nose. When breeding two dogs with the (bb) genotype, the only resulting combination in the pups would be ( bb) or red nose.

Just because both parents are "black nosed" doesn't mean its impossible to throw a different colored nose, its simple. So long as parents have the genes it can be thrown nothing more, nothing less..Its just a nose.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Definatly possible I would be worried if two reds threw a black lol

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
"Black nose" indicates that the genotype is (BB) or (Bb), both which would be expressed as black nose because of the dominance of the (B) allele.. If that sheds more light for you paired with my other post.

Basically both of your dogs are (Bb), if you had 4 out of 5 dogs come out with black noses its because (B) is dominate, your puppy with the red nose just so happened to (bb)

Reactions: MISSAPBT

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does the just so happens to be happen often???

thanks for the knowledge, im not quite into the whole dna stuff :)

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
does the just so happens to be happen often???

thanks for the knowledge, im not quite into the whole dna stuff :)
I couldn't put a percentage on it so i really wouldnt know how to explain the frequency of which it happens. I'd say it happens on a consistent level, someone who is a breeder may be able to give you something more solid in terms of an exact answer. I wouldn't call it "rare" though.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What would you say to a litter of entirely red nosed pups from two black nosed dogs??

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Yes it is common, unless they are super line bred and you know of no recessive genes showing up in the last 7 generations. There are so many scatter bred dogs out there that it is pretty common.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
What would you say to a litter of entirely red nosed pups from two black nosed dogs??
Its all by chance, in order for there to be even 1 from black they have to be carriers. So its all chance as to what the out come would be. Id say its pretty unlikely (not impossible) for the entire litter just because the (B) gene is dominate but doesn't mean it cant happen.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
That could happen but that would be like flipping a coin 20x's and gettting heads everysingle time. No very likely.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
KM did a great job on this thread!!

I've had it happen quite alot... I figure my current breedings (tan with black masks and black noses) could produce a few red rednoses and even black dogs..lol The sire of both the dogs being bred is a red rednose, and the dam on the bottom is a black dog, with the dam on the top being off a red rednose, and a black bitch..lol

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,362 Posts
NOT surprised.. rednose dogs come from line bred and inbred black nose dogs ..

what would surprise me would be a black nose dog popping up out of pure red nosed pedigreed dogs .. it happens from time to time but not often as black nose dogs bred together produce red nosed dogs. I didnt have pure OFRN I did have pure red nose dogs and they originate with black nose dogs, but I produced nothing but red noses for many years from that sort of thing.

IMO i like red nosed dogs that spawn from to superb black nose dogs. even if Mr. Lou Colby (RIP) was right and red nosed dogs are fight crazy, and thus why they're not fond of them in the colby lines, simple enough. I still love em red rednoses though.

I've gotten into the whole chromosome and locust theories before concerning the OFRN.. sure its on here.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Hmm not so much fight crazy, in my opinion, but tend to be a little light in the brains department (red nose dogs)...at least in my experience.... lol

Edward is a chocolate rednose....he got trapped in the covers on the bed the other day, so wrapped up all he could do was wag his tail.... yeah yeah I rescued him after I stopped laughing..lmao

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
what would surprise me would be a black nose dog popping up out of pure red nosed pedigreed dogs .. it happens from time to time but not often as black nose dogs bred together produce red nosed dogs.
I know someone who does genetic research for a living who says its impossible for two rednose dogs to produce black pigment. Someone came on a forum years back promoting their litter off two rednose parents that produced black brindle babies. When challenged to DNA-profile that litter -- the suggestion was that the neighbor's Lab must've gotten a piece -- the people disappeared and never took that challenge. It gets me curious when I read stuff like this.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Hmm not so much fight crazy, in my opinion, but tend to be a little light in the brains department (red nose dogs)...at least in my experience.... lol

Edward is a chocolate rednose....he got trapped in the covers on the bed the other day, so wrapped up all he could do was wag his tail.... yeah yeah I rescued him after I stopped laughing..lmao
LOL. So I can blame Kane's dumb dog moments on his nose?

OP, both of Kane's parents had black noses. Obviously they both carried the recessive gene for red noses. The litter was about 3/4s give or take a couple pups for black noses vs. red noses.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Loki (Red rednose) X pepper (black blacknose) Produced 2 red,2 blue,3 black,1 champagne and 2 bluefawn pups.Does that make any sense? LOL

·
Banned
314 Posts
Yes two black nosed dogs can produce a red nosed dog.
But NO, TWO RED NOSED DOGS CANNOT PRODUCE A BLACK NOSED DOG....

Here's a simple way to look at it:
When you have two red nosed dogs, and breed them, it's like taking all the black cards out of the deck.
No matter how they are shuffled, you're gonna get a red card. Period.
Unless....some shysty SOB slid some cards under the table and cheated the deck.

With two black nosed dogs, that have red nosed dogs in the pedigree, it's like having all the black cards, then adding a only one suit of red cards.
Since the black cards outnumber the red cards, most likely black will come out (being the dominant color).
However, being red is in the deck, though at a lesser degree, it is possible to produce a red.

BTW bahamutt99, that's a great piece of advice for people to follow...make those who claim it prove it!

Reactions: Sadie

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
It is genetically IMPOSSIBLE for 2 red nosed dogs to produce a black nosed dog and if someone says it is or tries to sell you a black dog out of two red parents you better run like hell. There are plenty of books written by Genetic Experts who explain all of these things in great detail I get headaches after reading up on genetics but anyone who is breeding or just someone who wants to understand their dogs genetics should certainly pick up a book about genetics and read it.

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
Dosia had one litter mate that was chocolate with a deep red/chocolate nose, and both their parents are black. Looking back in the parents peds they both have quite a few red dogs in their history so it makes sense that one or two would pop out every once in a while :)

1 - 20 of 145 Posts