1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
East Texans push for ban on Pit Bulls

Posted: Nov 11, 2010 3:50 PM PST Updated: Nov 11, 2010 4:43 PM PST

By Sara Story -

TYLER, TX (KLTV) - Wednesday's Pit Bull attack comes less than two weeks after another East Texas toddler was nearly killed by a Pit Bull. A group of East Texans are pushing for a state-wide ban on Pit Bulls, and a first draft of the legislation will be presented to state senators on Friday.

In just two years, two East Texas children have been killed by the dogs. Douglas Wolfe is ready for the state to take action after his granddaughter was nearly killed by a Pit Bull.

"We know that drinking and driving is dangerous. We know that combination kills, so we outlaw it, and we put people in jail that do it," Wolfe said. "We know Pit Bulls are dangerous. We know that Pit Bulls kill. Why have they not been outlawed already?"

Cynthia Stevens Kent represents the Clinton family, whose son was killed by a Pit Bull, and drafted the legislation that would ban Pit Bulls.

"Do we love our Pit Bulls more than we love our children and our grandchildren? Let's quit nibbling around the edges while our children die and are mauled. Let's just come out and do it. Ban pit bulls. Make it a felony offense to possess a Pit Bull," Kent said.

Kent also said if a ban is not enacted, a provision would allow people to own Pit Bulls only if they're kept secure.

"We are talking about 8 foot fences, covered on the top that go one foot into the ground. Secure locks, so children can't get into them," Kent said.

Despite the danger, there are Pit Bull owners who said a ban would prompt people to breed the dogs for the wrong reasons.

"If you make it illegal, it becomes more meaningful to the people who are doing it anyway, and they are just going to find deeper places in the woods to do it," Colleen Faulkner said.

Kent said she will present the first draft of the legislation to State Senator Eltife and State Representative Hopson on Friday.

Copyright 2010 KLTV. All rights reserved.

East Texans push for ban on Pit Bulls - KLTV 7 News Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |

·
Registered
87 Posts
I live in Tyler and own an APBT and an American Bully. It's terrifying. They proposed the "Anti-Pit Bull Ban" this past weekend. One lady even had the nerve to say "Pitbulls should be in the zoo with the rest of the wild animals."
They're trying to make it a 3rd Degree Felony to own the breed. I don't know what we're going to do besides possibly move out of state, but that's going to be hard emotionally and economically. :(

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I passed it on!

Thanks! I passd it on and can count on it getting to the ADBA as well. Thanks for the heads up! Tyler is a hot bed of sports and clubs too! :mad:

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jester, bro you can make a difference, go tot he courthouse and have your say, get your friends, ppl who know your dogs, other responisble owners like yourself, you all go to the courthouse, they will listen, make phone calls, you can't let this pass, they are trying to make this a statewide ban and I am NOT having it. Keep fighting the good fight bro.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Will just any courthouse in Tx do? I mean the paper mentioned Tyler and Rusk. I can go to the Tyler one but Ruck is a little far lol. Heck I'll take my dogs up there. Along with our five yr old neice who tries to ride them like horses (baha she's tiny and never stays on once they stand up. It's cute though) I'll do what I can.. I just don't feel like I have that much power. I mean here's two amazing dogs (that I know of) against all of these alleged "pit bulls and pit bull mixes" who are "terrorizing society". I can fight for the 8 foot fencing and insurance instead of a felony charge though... maybe. I'll talk to some people and see what I can do. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13518630

--
Posted: Nov 17, 2010 7:22 AM PST
http://kltv.images.worldnow.com/images/13518630_BG1.jpg

TYLER, TX (KLTV) - An East Texas state senator is now weighing in on proposed legislation to ban Pit Bulls statewide.

This comes just a week after 2-year-old Kaden Muckleroy was attacked and killed by a Pit Bull in Rusk County.

A Tyler attorney drafted the legislation to ban the breed, and gave it to senator Kevin Eltife and state representative Chuck Hopson last week.

Senator Eltife tells KLTV 7, the ban would be difficult to enforce on a state level, and he would rather focus on controlling the dogs on a local level.

"I'm one of these guys, I'm pretty realistic on will pass and what won't pass. I don't see a state-wide ban passing. She sent us additional legislation that would give control to cities and counties and I want to work with her on that.", said Eltife.
Also today, authorities confirmed that the dog that attacked Kaden last week has been put down, along with several other dogs taken from the property.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Lindsay, I appreciate that info, is what I was just looking for.

Jester - bro, do your thing, you can make a difference, and yes take your dogs, not saying they will let you in but take them none the less, let them see how your niece interacts wtih them, and call and write, have your friends and family who love and support your dogs do the same thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hell no they cant do that the pit bull stands for america they are are war heros they

cant do this in fact half of the people in texas say they are christen if there so christen

than y doo they judge what god made i dont understand just cus there scaryed of it

deosint mean they need to destroy it they shouldint blame the hole breed for one dog

that did wrong im sick of hearing this crap we need to stop this and start a patition we

need to take a stand besides sitting here and not doing anything sure we can try to

rescue them but thats not how u get to the sorce u have to speak up to be heard thats

why the gov is so scared of us takeing a stand they like us to feel hopeless and caged

in lets stop being there pets and start being there worse night mare come on weres are

american pledge the one that are 4 fathers gave use the one that won are country have

we forgotten what we did to get were we are i dont feel free i feel like a genepig

running in a circle we can fight back there so many of us and we have alot more people

than we think we can do it!!!!!! remmber what we were tought in school we can do

watever we wont to do as long as we come togather and fight for whats right[/I][/U][/U][/B]

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kush I am in total agreement, and I go to the capitol to fight these bills here in Texas, I have the right to own the breed of my choice, keep on fighting, you too can make a difference

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Keep fighting, but please, fight effectively. Write well-spoken letters and do not rely on anecdotal evidence ("my pit is the greatest"). And for the love of little puppies, never threaten or insult your senator. If you're going to take the time to participate in this, take additional time to research facts and provide helpful suggestions to whomever you're writing. If we go off half-cocked, it will work against us in the end. We'll be hearing news articles with quotes from the legislative representatives saying "Well, half the emails I got were threatening or in garbled English, so I had to side with the proponents of this ban. Clearly only idiots own pitbulls."

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you Lindsey, so very true, I am not good with words until provoked, it never comes out like I want it too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
STOP THE BAN

A friend of mine who lives in texas started a petition to stop the ban of Pit Bulls. http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stoppbbsltx/ PLEASE sign and share with everyone you know so that we can stop this nonsense. Please do not just hit the like button as it does NOT count as a signature. ALSO at the end where it asks for a donation - that is for the site not her petition YOUR SIGNATURE IS WORTH MORE THAN MONEY. stop breed specific legislation in texas

Thank you all in advance for helping to get the word out and for all the information posted here.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I don't see a state wide ban passing either. If it were to happen though.. Oklahoma has laws against enacting BSL. So move up here! :)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Megan, TX has the same law as OK. But just like in OK, people in TX are actively trying to overturn it. Don't get complacent. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
As stated texas has laws preventing this, but things change and the Texas constitution can easily be ammended so we need to make sure and contact our representatives and voice our opinion and try to educate law makers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts