Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
She just can't understand it's NOT ok to jump on people.
She has that annoying hyper little dog syndrome,where she jumps up and flails her front paws in the air,like pet me ,pet me!
I swear it's cause she hangs out with all those little dogs every Sat,at Petco.

Any idea on how to stop this. I've tried making her sit,and yanking on her leash,but nothing is working. Even telling people not to pay attention doesn't work.

Trying to make her sit when she is that excited is like trying to get Bruno to eat veggies.

Not gonna happen.:confused:

Also, when she gets really excited,she fluffs up,is that normal? I think she is lacking some confidence still.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Dosia was a butt like that too. When he would jump up towards me I'd lift my leg up so his chest hit my knee. Don't do it fast an actually knee her, she could get hurt, but let her hit herself against it. She will not like it at all and get the idea that jumping up is not a good idea.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've started grabbing her paws,and trying to dance with her,she hates that. It's kinda similar,and it works for the most part.

I will try your suggestion and see if it works.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
It took me a while to get Dosia to figure it out. He's kind of a pea brain but he's sweet and loveable lol :)

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It must be a male dog thing. Bruno is king of the pea brains. Seriously,I think he was dropped on his head as a pup.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha. We should start one of those group things on here.

And share funny stories. Male dogs only!

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
By fluff up, do you mean her hackles come up?

If that's what you mean, it's not strange. Hackles raising isn't necessarily from aggression. At it's base, hackles up is a result of high arousal, whether through excitement, fear, or aggression. Kane's hackles come up when we first start playing fetch because he gets so excited.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Maybe asking for a sit is too much to start out with. Try rewarding her for keeping her feet on the ground for start. Or have the person treat fast, before she can jump. Give attention if she remains with all fours on the ground. (You can move up to a sit once you've made solid progress on just standing.)
If she starts jumping standing up. Then mark and reward the moment all fours are on the ground. You can use a verbal marker or a clicker, just remember always treat after using the marker, and speak clearly so the dog understands you.

I hope that helps :)

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I try to pull her down. Like a quick "No" and a yank downwards on the leash.
yeah her hackles come up when she's excited,or scared.
I have learned the difference between the two. I just never had a dog do that before,that wasn't just angry.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe asking for a sit is too much to start out with. Try rewarding her for keeping her feet on the ground for start. Or have the person treat fast, before she can jump. Give attention if she remains with all fours on the ground. (You can move up to a sit once you've made solid progress on just standing.)
If she starts jumping standing up. Then mark and reward the moment all fours are on the ground. You can use a verbal marker or a clicker, just remember always treat after using the marker, and speak clearly so the dog understands you.

I hope that helps :)
Good idea. I have a clicker,I should use it. Ha.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
If you're yanking her down that is why she is still jumping. You need to pop up with a quick pop. Praise her and not need to say off or no. Every time she jumps pop up and praise her, after a few pops she should not jump and sit or stand. Praise the whole time, you do not want them scared of the quick pops.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh! No wonder it's not working. Thanks so much! I will start doing that ASAP.

I was starting to think she would never learn,my lab was about 2 when she finally stopped all that jumping.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How about when she's not leashed. How do I do it then? Like when I release her from her crate.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Till she gets the idea I would have a leash by her kennel so you can catch her. It is much easier to have her on leash for at least a week and set her up. If you need to put a correction collar (what ever type it may be) to get your point across then go ahead. they learn real quick that if their feet come off the ground they get a pop. After your dog understands not to jump and keeps her feet on the ground then you can start off leash. If she manages to jump have your fingers laid over your other finders like in an X. When/If she jumps put your hands in the X and pop her on the nose. THIS IS NOT A HIT. It is more of a bop to make it uncomfortable on the nose and since she learned already jumping has a consequence this should work right away and it great for when you do not have a leash. Both methods get quick results and the dog understands quickly what you want. This is such a common question tomorrow if I have time I will make a little video on how to correct it. Viper jumps like a jumping bean and I don't mind so she will be perfect to use as an example. She jumps so much she is always falling on her side! lol

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha I'd like to see that! hope to see a video~

Sure hope it works fast,don't want the little dobi(arriving tomorrow it seems) to learn this behavior.

Imagine a 100lbs dog jumping on you...YIKES!(Well she's not that big yet)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts