Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Taz is our new addition. A 4 1/2 month old pup that thinks he is King C*** Of The Walk! We have recently enrolled him in Doggie Day Care, he goes 3x a week for half a day to give me a break. Well the Day Care says he is doing fine, but everytime I see him interacting with another dog; he pretty much annoys the living crap out of them!
Now just for a second, picture this. Everytime Taz is let loose in the outdoor play area, he thinks it is his job to instead of greeting the dogs he has never ment before with a common butt sniff, his tail goes up, he struts up to them and mounts them to establish domonance. Which pisses off the other dogs of course, because they are thinking, well who the heck are you and who do you think you are!? All the other dogs for the most are neutral, well mannered and friendly; even the other 6 month old pit pup that goes there on the same days as Taz. But when Taz shows up, all the other dogs seem to say... OH GEZ, he comes the little turd!
Ugh! I just wish Taz had more manners as far as meeting other dogs, playing and such; instead of him coming in and totally blowing all the fun by being arogant and disrespectful!

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Mounting isn't always about dominance, though your puppy does sound very confident. Mounting can be a product of over excitement, but is also part of ritualized dog play/interaction. It can be problematic when other dogs view/perceive it as dominance rather than rude behavior or the particular dog is put off/doesn't tolerate humping.
Your pup is nearing the end of his 'puppy license' and adult dogs are going to stop taking his puppy crap as, well, rude puppy behavior, and start laying down the law to him. My concern would not be this, in particular, as he does need to be brought down a peg or two and this is all part of the learning curve. My concern would be how equipped/knowledgeable your day care facility is to handle this. If they are allowing this behavior from your pup thus far, I would guess they aren't.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Agreed. I would try to find a daycare staffed by more knowledgeable people. If other dogs aren't putting Taz in his place, the staff needs to be stepping in at that point and doing it for them. Otherwise things can easily devolve into a fight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts