Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Back story 1st. A dear friend of mine and her husband bought a BYB'ers blue dog 4 years ago. At about a year old they started encountering HA issues. First they went to a vet to investigate health causes, dog was very healthy. Got 2 different behaviorists (sp?) and were told that this dog was "genetically inferior" by one and the other said dog was unsafe and uncurable. Both said PTS. This whole procedure took 10-11 months.

My friend and hubby were not willing to PTS, not an option at all. They took other steps. First an inner sheet metal fence was built inside the original fence, and dog never allowed out into te yard without one or both of them. They both work, so they bolted a covered dog run to the garage floor with a cage in it, also bolted to the floor. This is where the dog is when they are not home!! They have lived like this for 2ish years now, and have been happier then you would expect with this kind of responsibility.

Forward to recently. Husband was killed in a work accident, and she can not continue this lifestyle. She has decided it is now time to PTS, but says to take him to the vet and PTS there would just fuel BSL, because of a HA "pit bull". So she asked another friend of ours to shoot the dog at his property, and he agreed to do so. However her father in law said he would turn them both into AC if this was done.

I feel she is right in putting this dog to sleep and in the past have shot dogs on my property to PTS, and I feel it is none of AC's business. What do you feel is right here????

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
It unfortunately doesn't come down to what is thought to be right, but rather what is legal. If she planned to handle it on her own she should have kept it to herself and not notified people of what she was doing.

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
I would do the same as her father in law and notify the authorities. I don't think someone should shoot a dog on their own, especially because she can't handle the stress. It just seems completely irresponsible.

If she doesn't want the dog, she should look into a pitbull rescue org. I know there are groups out there who would take in a dog with behavior problems, attempt to rehabilitate and they'd go from there.

Regardless of what she does, she should leave it to professionals instead of amateurs.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Agreed with Holly. If it is illegal, it is illegal.

Also, I don't understand how having the dog PTS by the vet would fuel more BSL type stuff?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A few years ago it was legal where they are located, I have since moved and am not sure if it has been changed or not. AC could do nothing about where our other friend lives he is not in city limits and their jurisdiction ends there.

ANY rescue to see the reports and write ups from behaviorists would PTS, and with many other owners this dog would have been PTS 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I have no problem with a bullet in the head if done right, it is quicker than PTS by the vet where they have to give a sedative then PTS and it would be more trauma to the dog if it was HA. The legal aspect I think you have to right to properly dispose of a dog if done humanly and that is quick. I couldn't do it but I do not see a problem but that is JMO. Putting the dog down is the right thing to do but I would not worry about fueling BSL it is not like the vet is going to call the newspaper or 60 minutes.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I would do the same as her father in law and notify the authorities. I don't think someone should shoot a dog on their own, especially because she can't handle the stress. It just seems completely irresponsible.

If she doesn't want the dog, she should look into a pitbull rescue org. I know there are groups out there who would take in a dog with behavior problems, attempt to rehabilitate and they'd go from there.

Regardless of what she does, she should leave it to professionals instead of amateurs.
Why in the hell would you give a rescue group a HA dog? The dog needs to be PTS one way or the other. You cannot rehabilitate HA it is a temperament issue. We are not talking about a dog who has dominance issues that is different. A HA dog no matter what breed should be destroyed. Even guard dog type breeds are not really HA they are guardians there is a big difference.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
It got mike vick in a ton of trouble. I always encourage to be responsible all the way to the end. no one will judge you for doing the right thing unless you do it wrong. humane euth of an ha dog will only help the fight with bsl... imho

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I think shooting a dog is too much for me unless it hurt someone.
We have PTS plenty of dogs. Some HA, some just sick. I don't see any better way to do it than
A quiet injection and a dog taking that last breath in peace. For the bad dogs you put them on a couple rabies poles, an I.M. injection of a sedative like telazol. Within 5 minutes the dog is sleeping and can be catheterized and given the PTS juice.
No problems, not a big deal and no breaking the law.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I wish I would have known someone that would have shot Mikado. It took so long for my boy to finally die it was horrible. I will never use that vet again to pts any animal. I see nothing wrong with she wants to do and I don't think it is anyones business what she does a dog is property so really she has a right to dispose of the dog her way.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Not up in the North East. That is against the law.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I just search all over the net and could find no law that said an OWNER could not shoot their dog. I did find laws that it is Illegal to shoot a dog that crosses your property and does not display any aggression towards you.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am from an upbringing where that was the humane way to cull your dogs if they were not upto standard or too sick. Wouldnt do it myself, and after a few years of being in and around different types of dog people i know a couple of vets whom look after me and its not like i need to get rid of a dog every week , it just aint that expensive to give them the green dream , my only stipulation is that i dont take the dog into the vetinary surgery yet either do it in my car or the vet comes to me.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You need to find out the law. Though she shouldn't have said anything to anyone. Anyway he would have to have proof to call AC. It isn't illegal everywhere, some places it is. Other places the law is vague so you need to be careful "to cause the death of a dog in a cruel manner" its written that way in some places.

I remember a mill who couldn't/wouldn't take care of their dogs which were flea infested and sickly. Instead of getting them care the two owners shot them all, this caused a huge up roar and for people to get the law changed in that area. It's senseless things like that where I can see why certain people take issue but to pit down 1 HA no its for a reason, a good one.

There is nothing wrong with correctly shooting, she isn't doing it to be cruel but to have them put down. There is a distinct difference.

·
Registered
72 Posts
On the farm we have a saying...SSS...Shoot Shovel & Shut Up. I say do whatever you want to do and within the law. Who am I to judge but whatever you do when it comes to cases like this its best to keep quiet and do what needs to be done.

Whats that saying the odd nail gets hit first? Dont stick out...

Here in NJ if you are hunting and a dog is encountered while you are hunting you can legally shoot it and farmers can legally shoot dogs crossing their property line.

As for the animal suffering...Ive never shot a dog but Ive shot dozens of coyote on the farm and they never felt a thing...use the right tool for the job and its faster then any needle out there.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I guess I'm just odd man out here.
I'm just glad I'm not one of y'alls dogs.
Unless I'm eating it...I'm not going to shoot it.
My companions deserve better.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I guess I'm a little old school... Around here the rancher mentality is you take care of your own problem if there is one. 2 of my childhood dogs were taken out by my own father and "pts" and didn't cause the family any financial or emotional stress. We all understood they had lived a long and fulfilled life and were showing signs such as loss of bodily functions. I know i couldn't do it myself but I don't feel it is inhumane by any means. Obviously it isn't something any of us went around bragging about and when i was younger i thought it was cruel. Now i see my dad was just taking care of us and relieving our beloved boys from their misery. With 4 kids on 1 income I would have a hard time justifying a vet trip to end a life too, and although hey were our pets, they were only pets not family members. With that said my personal choice when the time comes if it ends that way, we will be at the vets and I will be with them in their last moments the same as I have tried to be throughout their lives. But again, all of this is my personal opinion.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
On the farm we have a saying...SSS...Shoot Shovel & Shut Up. I say do whatever you want to do and within the law. Who am I to judge but whatever you do when it comes to cases like this its best to keep quiet and do what needs to be done.

Whats that saying the odd nail gets hit first? Dont stick out...

Here in NJ if you are hunting and a dog is encountered while you are hunting you can legally shoot it and farmers can legally shoot dogs crossing their property line.

As for the animal suffering...Ive never shot a dog but Ive shot dozens of coyote on the farm and they never felt a thing...use the right tool for the job and its faster then any needle out there.
I think it's "The nail that sticks out will be hammered down.
Either way I agre, shouldn't have said anything,what AC doesn't know wont hurt them.
I would never shoot one of my dogs,but if the animal is suffering,and you have the gun,why wait?
This thread makes me feel guilty,cause I wasn't with MoMo when she was PTS by a stranger. But I know my vet,and I know that MoMo wasn't very afraid. Just makes me sad.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I don't think it is immoral...I just couldn't see the reason to shoot when there is a quiet peaceful way to ease the dog into the long goodnight.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts