Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my show-potential APBT cropped Sept. 9th 2010. I had seen other dogs that the same vet had done, and liked what I saw. The breeder that used him for his show APBT's recommended the vet. So, I paid $305 for a laser crop. Picked up my little Indie, and went home. Once the wraps came off.. I sort of noticed an issue, and so did other people. Now, nearly 3 weeks later, the stitches are out, and I can tell 100% that they are really uneven.:mad:

Based on the pictures, do you think I should
A) Call the vet, get as much $$ back as possible, and leave the ears, hoping it gets less noticable with age/growth?
B) Take her back to the same vet to have the left ear shortened and shaped like the right
C) Take her to a different vet with the $ I (hopefully) get from the first vet.

Also, any tips/suggestions for making it less noticable in the ring?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I would deff complain to the vet and cause a scene but most vets have it written down that they arent liable its usually a waiver you sign , however dunno if this is the case with your vet. would deff have a fit though. can they even redo it now how old is the pup? not too sure if you can fix that or not Id call some other vets see what they say can be done.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
she is gorgeous by the way love her markings and her sweet lil face , we got laser done with luna and they took the wraps off before we even left the office and we had a goodl look over them there. she never had bandages on at home.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the only thing I signed was a permission thing for them to put her under anesthesia. She just hit 14 weeks today.. and I hear of dogs being done up till 16 or so. Even some at 6 months, if the vet thinks they'll stand. They're obviously already standing... I just don't want to put her through the anesthesia, pain, and stitches all over again. :(

Thanks for the compliments, BTW. I love her to death!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
ya the vet who did luna { I hate that vet} but he was the only one in the area within an hour who even does ears will do dogs up to a year with laser I dont agree with it that old but she's still young enough it would prob b fine, just not sure with like scar tissue and stuff how hard it is to redo an ear and then do you really want this vet to do it anyways what if he botches it again and you have to go even shorter, id call around to other vets tomorrow and see if anyone else can fix it. but ya Id go in and cause a scene preferably when there are other patients in there I find you get a better response when they are tryna keep it hush hush lol.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this vet is an hour and a half from me, and they're the only one around that does crops, that I can find, at least. There's one right down the street from me.. but they charge over $900 for a crop! Some folks are saying that as she grows, it will be less noticable.. so hopefully they are right. i sent the vet an email with her pictures in it.. so we'll see what they say when I call them to follow up tomorrow. I really, really hope this crop doesn't screw up her show career!

Do you have a pic of luna? :) Thanks again for your advice.

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
I'd take your pup back to the vet and complain. I don't see why the vet, if it's a reputable vet, would refuse to correct a mistake that they made. If not cause a fuss like Angel said. I'd give'em a call for sure...complain a lot....goodluck! Pups cute regardless!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really do hope you get the ears fixed and end up saving the look, I just really hate cropping but my own opinion I was not trying to be rude....after I posted it and read again I though it was a little snippy ;) so sorry!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Eeeeek!! I would definitely complain!! I'm not against cropping as I come from a long line of Doberman fanciers, so it's all a matter of personal preference. However, I would ONLY be going to the best of the best, no matter how far, for an ear crop. This is something that can't be taken back, and should be done by only the most professional of vets with an outstanding reputation for consistent, beautiful work. Cropping really is an art in itself.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
I would do two things... if you know of another reputable cropping vet, set an appointment to have them evaluate whether or not they will touch another veterinarians mistakes, as well as taking her back to the vet who did the crop to get their reaction. It may have been a mistake, even though it is quite obvious. A veterinarian should never crop while they're under stress/rushed. I just use your good judgement of character when you talk to these vets and go with your gut.

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Hi, there. would definitely go back to the vet who performed the crop, and show them what happened, and see what options you have for getting it fixed.

kerihalvorson, I deleted your first post in this thread. Just for future reference, you have the option when making a post to "Go Advanced" and you'll have two buttons underneath your post, "Submit Reply" or "Preview Post". I recommend previewing before submitting. But, if you don't want to do that, you can always submit your response, and then click "Edit Post" at the bottom right corner of your post, and go back and edit what you typed.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really do hope you get the ears fixed and end up saving the look, I just really hate cropping but my own opinion I was not trying to be rude....after I posted it and read again I though it was a little snippy ;) so sorry!
hey, it was gone before I got here.. so no worries!

I sent the vet an email with Indie's pictures in it, as a preliminary inquiry. If they don't call me soon, I'm calling them, and I'll see what they can do about it. I have Indie's first novice puppy class coming up this weekend... hope the ears don't set her back! Her brother got BIS pup last weekend. Thanks to all for the support and ideas... I'll definitely keep you updated. I'll feel so bad putting her through another surgery.. I was kind of hoping I'd get the opinion that it might not look so uneven with time. :) oh, well.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
My wife always says "if there is a problem I can always go back and fix it." We have never had a problem like that but im sure mistakes happen.
Which is a good reason to go for a longer crop. You can remove some but you cant add on.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and ya know, I asked for a longer crop, too. Brought in pictures of her mom and everything as an example of what I wanted.

here's what I wanted:

here's 2 dogs the vet has done:

Where the F did he go wrong here? I did call in to speak to the vet, the receptionist said the vet who did the crop will give me a call tomorrow when he's in. She couldn't locate the email I had sent, either. :/ We'll see what they can do.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
and ya know, I asked for a longer crop, too. Brought in pictures of her mom and everything as an example of what I wanted.

here's what I wanted:

here's 2 dogs the vet has done:

Where the F did he go wrong here? I did call in to speak to the vet, the receptionist said the vet who did the crop will give me a call tomorrow when he's in. She couldn't locate the email I had sent, either. :/ We'll see what they can do.
The longer ear was cut with too much rounding out. it should have been a straight line down. Anyway....it can be fixed by an experienced vet with average skills.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
IT may even out some when the swelling goes down. If you are going to do something I would do it soon.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
It's a bad job all around and the ears need to be taped to stand properly. Some ears can look not the same and just need to be taped but if they are different lengths go back to the vet and have them re shape that really long ear or find another vet to fix them both and go shorter. That is just about all you can do!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I agree I would def go to another vet for more advice and to the vet that did them and find out if he is willing to fix them. You should have about two more weeks to fix it but the sooner the better.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
performanceknls.. your due date is on my birthday, as well as my daughter's! :)

Thank you all for your helpful responses. I hope the vet will have some options for me tomorrow, and this will all be taken care of.

Wish me luck on Sat... we're attending our first show ever, with Indie entered in the Novice Puppy Class! Hope her ears don't detract too much!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts