Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a novice to this breed i have been reading up on all the different types of so call "Pitbull" breeds as each off shoot breed has it's different standards in which they go by but my question is this, is there a govering body that all of the breed is judged by? if now should there be?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you and that was my understanding as well and another reason for joining here seems like there is a lot of misinformation about what is and whats not on the internet seems like the more you google the bigger the misinformation becomes...again thank you for answering my question.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
There is only ONE "Pit bull" and that is the American Pit Bull Terrier. There ARE NOT different types just different breeds.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
:goodpost:

Just because the media and ignorant people say "pit bull" is a type of dog, doesn't mean it's true. Pit bull is simply shortening the breed name American Pit Bull Terrier, just as you'd say lab instead of draging out Labrador Retriver. There is no such thing as different kinds or types of pit bulls it's either an American Pit Bull Terrier or its not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
:goodpost:

Just because the media and ignorant people say "pit bull" is a type of dog, doesn't mean it's true. Pit bull is simply shortening the breed name American Pit Bull Terrier, just as you'd say lab instead of draging out Labrador Retriver. There is no such thing as different kinds or types of pit bulls it's either an American Pit Bull Terrier or its not.
sadly the majority of society will not accept this as fact. b/c most aren't open minded. i used to believe what everyone else believes...but after joining this forum i have slowly been learning alot...the biggest thing i've learned is that when 99% of people start talking about 'pitbulls', they don't know shit.

:D

edit: that wasn't a stab at anyone in the forums, it was a jab at all the people i talk to in real life haha.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
sadly the majority of society will not accept this as fact. b/c most aren't open minded. i used to believe what everyone else believes...but after joining this forum i have slowly been learning alot...the biggest thing i've learned is that when 99% of people start talking about 'pitbulls', they don't know shit.

:D

edit: that wasn't a stab at anyone in the forums, it was a jab at all the people i talk to in real life haha.
It's so true and it's very sad. People just don't understand what's actually going on in the real world with these dogs and sadly most don't understand how labeling everything as a "pit bull" is harmful to all who own any type of bull breed. Misidentification and the lumping of all bull breeds together as "pit bulls" is what drives up the bite stats and makes it easier for areas to pass BSL. :(

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I hear you! Then you have those who say well its the way it is now its a type get over it and join the rest who think its acceptable to lump 20+ breeds into one type of dog. No sorry no I won't cause those people also add up the numbers of 20+ breeds and mixes and then tell me pit bulls bite more than any other breed.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
I see what your saying .. OP..

I believe all the categories of bulldog should be recognized by one bulldog governing registry as well.. Especially since they're all of each other.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
I think the OP understands that there is only one "pit bull" and not various types, they perhaps didn't word it very well but let's not get caught up in the semantics and ignore the rest of the question and get caught up on repeatedly defining what a pit bull is.

As a novice to this breed i have been reading up on all the different types of so call "Pitbull" breeds as each off shoot breed has it's different standards in which they go by but my question is this, is there a govering body that all of the breed is judged by? if now should there be?
To answer your question, I do not believe there is any one registry that deals with all of what you might call the "bull breeds". ADBA is the primary registry for what you would consider the game-style APBT, the UKC is the registry for the more show style APBT (or AmStaffs, depending on who you ask) and the AKC registers the American Staffordshire which was once one and the same with the APBT but has diverged and has had a different genetic breeding pool long enough that they are not considered the same breed. Then there is the ABKC which is a very new registry and deals primarily with the American Bully and some other bulldog breeds.

That is definitely not the full picture so I'm sure some others can fill in the gaps of what I missed.

Reactions: ThaLadyPit

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mean as a melted marshmellow!

We have a Pit Bull at at home and at first i was against if having had a issues with a pit bull in the past but having one here and interacting with her everyday i can see she is not the mean monster that everyone thinks pit bulls are our dog is the classic couch potato who likes cooking shows on tv so that brought a question to mind are Pit Bulls inherently dangerous? if not then why does the question continue to be brought up?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
We have a Pit Bull at at home and at first i was against if having had a issues with a pit bull in the past but having one here and interacting with her everyday i can see she is not the mean monster that everyone thinks pit bulls are our dog is the classic couch potato who likes cooking shows on tv so that brought a question to mind are Pit Bulls inherently dangerous? if not then why does the question continue to be brought up?
because owners continue to fail.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
so that brought a question to mind are Pit Bulls inherently dangerous? if not then why does the question continue to be brought up?
This is kind of a debatable question. I honestly feel as if this depends upon the owner. This breed is predisposed to dog aggression by genetics, not all will be DA, but remember where these dogs come from and the purpose they were bred for. They also have high prey drive and require a lot of exercise and training. Now say someone has a DA dog but they don't do crap to properly contain their dog and its constantly running loose, that dog can be a danger to someone else walking their dog. It's not the dogs fault but the owners. Now in the proper household where people understand and respect the breed, your not going to see a dog running loose where it could hurt someone else's pets.
As far as aggression towards humans, it was never ever acceptable. There's dogs are never suppose to show aggression to humans.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
because owners continue to fail.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Repeat the above about a billion times. When nobody had these dogs save the performance folks and the hog hunters and a limited few others that knew what they were doing there weren't the pandemic sociopolitical problems.

These are NOT your grandmothers poodle , they require a degree of vigilance and responsibility.

" oh my dog got out"...............WHY did the dog get out?

" Oh my dog got off the chain"................WHY? Was the chainrig properly maintained?

" Oh my dog got out of the crate and got the cat".........If the dog is prone to escape from the crate why wasn't the crate strapped etc or at least faced into a wall?

" Oh I fed my dogs together and they started scrapping." ( another current thread here)..........WHY would you feed two dogs together , especially APBTs?

" Oh my dog bit someone for the third time."............. WHY is the dog still alive?

AGAIN. ( And damn if I'm not weary of repeating this over and over)..........
the three BASIC rules.

1. These are NOT dogs you let run loose. Even more so unsupervised.

2. Never EVER trust a bulldog not to scrap.

3. Maneaters become fertiliser.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Really.. the term pit bull covers 6 breeds and 20+ breeds.. before 1976 if you had a pit bull that meant something.. Now... APBT strain of bulldog so APBT or Bulldog. The full name or simply bulldog. Pit bulls are not prevalent anymore by function term in the states.. Its a function term, therefore its irrelevant because they're all bulldogs until proven otherwise.

I totally agree there is only one "Pit Bull" function wise; today the term an associated meaning covers an ocean of bulldog types.

Just use the term bulldog, when they say you mean pit bull, well no.. The American Pit Bull Terrier which is an honest venue to its complete heritage. American Pit Bull Terrier is a mouth full and causes confusion. I haven't figured that one out yet, but folks catch on to calling them bulldogs. Cause thats what they are before and without the [pit].

The only Pit Bull in my eyes is a proven bulldog. If I use Pit bull it is in relating information for folks. Because they get confused if I say APBT or bulldog.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was just out with my dog and when i was about to come in the house this lady came up to me and asked"Aren't you scared she will turn on you?" and my response was "Theres a bigger chance that somebody would turn on me before my dog would ,people turn on each other all the time even kill each other all the time with no provocation at all, so i'll stick with my dog!" This cannot be a natural reaction could it?

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I guess it may depend upon the area one lives in but, yea, ignorance like that is everywhere and it's just another reason us owners have to have thicker skin. I've had all kinds of asinine comments about my dog "snapping" and killing me or my kid or some other nonsense.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Too many great responses to quote!

Redbird... in short, the "pit bull" has become so diverse with different bloodlines, and breeders having different views in what the dog should be today vs what it was pre-1976 that unfortunately, no there is not a single governing body. As was previously stated by Carriana, the ADBA is the one true registry for the American Pit Bull Terrier. The UKC has their own idea of what the APBT should be, and while the standards are similar to that of the ADBA, they are still very much different.

Other breeds that could possibly be called a "pit bull" (and most times are by the media) are the Cane Corso, the Dogue de Bordeaux, Presa Canario, Fila Brasilario, and most any dog with a similar build and head/jaw type (square, boxy and muscular). I'm sure I've missed a few along the way, but these are just a few.

With so many people breeding these dogs, and with so many different views/opinions on what the dogs should be today, unfortunately it seems that eventually the only single governing body over these dogs will be the US Government, once they've managed to successfully pass BSL in all states. Although, I do have to say I'm proud that we've had so many overturns on BSL as of lately.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was out walking my dog when i was asked by this guy "Will your dog bite?" my answer was don't all dog's will bite if given a reason but other than that you will bite the broom a toy, shoes,a teddy bear? but lick you to death if you came close enough" his next question is "I heard that breed's bite was so strong that it could bite through bricks!" i just looked at this fool i mean what are some of the silliest questions asked of you about your dog and how did you handle such stupid question?

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I always answer "he has teeth doesn't he, of course he can bite". And for all I know some dos can chew bricks lol. I have known a dog to chew through his wire kennel who knows lol. Reminds me of this picture lol

I am not a fan of phrases like he is a lover not a fighter. Or he will lick you to death. Puts a bad picture on someone's head about death by licks or that dogs are fought. Kinda like if McDonald's advertised their food as "great taste, no rats" or coke "tastes great no longer has cocaine"

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been trying to read up on all the ban's trying to be pasted (which most i have read about really do not have a valid point)Question is how are these bans affecting the human and canine behavior?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts