Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The M.F. Problem
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you all for the great advise. I like the idea of walking them around the block in seperate directions and having them meet on the sidewalk, we'll give it a shot tomorrow. I've had them seperated, they are doing just fine, tempers have yet to flare. we are also giving them their own yard time, with our male(they adore him). I've been digging and have had no luck finding a home or agency to take the younger of the two. I want everybody to know that this fight was not intentional, we reintroduced them carefully, one by the leash one by the collar. All seemed okay when there was a sudden snap that turned into a fight, I let go of the collar looking out for my own safety. please note, no dogs ear got torn off. my oldest has superficial wounds that I am treating myself... no need to go to the vet. some of you have expressed that you feel that I should have never brought her back in the first place, I know. but you must know that I did it with good intentions. the only other option for us was to take her to the pound. I would not be able to sleep at night knowing what her fate could be. I love my dogs, they are so much more than just dogs to me. I trust them to be alone with my 6 year old daughter. I am not what you call a 'fad buyer'. I've had pits for years and am in love with the breed and personalities. I am sorry to say that these two were bought from street breeders that are into breeding for finacial purposes, thus it seems to me that the fighting instinct has been bred into them. We will continue to work with them and try to find behavioral help, as we were unable to locate an agency that takes in pits. Again, thanks everybody for all your suggestions, keep em coming, we have our hands full and need all the help we can get having never been in this situation before. Also, I would love to put up some pictures but our files are to big... any suggestions?

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
reddoggy said:
Thank you all for the great advise. I like the idea of walking them around the block in seperate directions and having them meet on the sidewalk, we'll give it a shot tomorrow. I've had them seperated, they are doing just fine, tempers have yet to flare. we are also giving them their own yard time, with our male(they adore him). I've been digging and have had no luck finding a home or agency to take the younger of the two. I want everybody to know that this fight was not intentional, we reintroduced them carefully, one by the leash one by the collar. All seemed okay when there was a sudden snap that turned into a fight, I let go of the collar looking out for my own safety. please note, no dogs ear got torn off. my oldest has superficial wounds that I am treating myself... no need to go to the vet. some of you have expressed that you feel that I should have never brought her back in the first place, I know. but you must know that I did it with good intentions. the only other option for us was to take her to the pound. I would not be able to sleep at night knowing what her fate could be. I love my dogs, they are so much more than just dogs to me. I trust them to be alone with my 6 year old daughter. I am not what you call a 'fad buyer'. I've had pits for years and am in love with the breed and personalities. I am sorry to say that these two were bought from street breeders that are into breeding for finacial purposes, thus it seems to me that the fighting instinct has been bred into them. We will continue to work with them and try to find behavioral help, as we were unable to locate an agency that takes in pits. Again, thanks everybody for all your suggestions, keep em coming, we have our hands full and need all the help we can get having never been in this situation before. Also, I would love to put up some pictures but our files are to big... any suggestions?
It takes a lot of time and patients to have a multi pitbull home. I do think that you need to do more reading about the breed if you think that because it was a BYB that you got them from they have the fighting instinct. These dogs have only one purpose in there line and that is to fight.

It is good that you are willing to work with them. Be sure to watch them closely and get a feel for what they are thinking by watching their body lanuage. I can tell when Mikado is getting mad just by his eyes but this means you have to be attentive to their every move. Make sure you never feel scared when working with them this will only make things worse. I hope that you are going to crate and rotate. Be sure to do a search of this site on training. lots of good info on here.

·
wheezie wayne
3,366 Posts
I have one sugestion, Never leave ANY small chld alone With any dog, no matter how much you trust the dog

·
Windbag Extrodinaire.
3,303 Posts
Glad to see that you're listening and not shutting us out..:thumbsup:

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
wheezie said:
I have one sugestion, Never leave ANY small chld alone With any dog, no matter how much you trust the dog
That's a good one. Please listen to that one.

It will take some time, but you and the dogs will be ok if your whole family is willing to work @ it.

One question, do you leave either of the females alone unattended with the male? Just because they have never fought doesn't mean they never will and now that you have experienced what can happen first hand, I hope you seperate all of the dogs when you're not there to supervise.

I also think you really had the best of intentions when you took this dog back in. It would have been very irresponsible to let it go to the pound. But, you've got a lot of responsibility now. I wish you the best and please keep us posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts