Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was walking my boy (leashed) in a park, when a LEASH-LESS, LICENSE-LESS, TAG-LESS, OWNER-LESS full grown mastiff comes charging at me at full speed. He had nothing but a SHOCK COLLAR on. and he lunged at me. I swear i saw my life flash before my eyes. He must have been at least 95 lbs and over a year old, he looked fully grown. Cairo, seeing that i got knocked off my feet used his 48lbs of muscle went and tried to help me out and got into a fight with the mastiff, when i regained my balance, i pulled my boy off of the mastiff, even though i wanted to stab him with my knife that i keep in my sock, and as i looked for the owner, who was standing about 50 feet away under a tree, DOING NOTHING BUT calling for his stupid dog "FAVRE" and shocking the dog with the shock collar. if i wasnt worried about our breed and the fight that broke out between the two dogs i would have gotten into a fight myself with this lazy, undeserving :poop: head. WHO THE HELL has nothing but a shock collar on their dog, not only do I FIND IT inhumane (IMO) but APPARENTLY, it does NOTHING to a dog whose body weight is about the size of a teenage boy. Ive been so mad all day, and i just found out a couple hours ago that my boy is limping with what i think is a sprained back leg... is there anything i can do about it, a type of pain meds i can give him, cant go to the vet, because i dont ahve the money for it right now, and frankly, its not too bad that i want to waste a trip, but in the mean time, he looks like he's hurting a little bit. I feel bad i couldnt do anything... any suggestions??

·
Registered
776 Posts
I had a doberman once that was a pain , E collar was last resort and it worked wonders . The one i had was really not too mean , i made sure to test it on myself( my hand, not my neck lol) . I wouldnt wanna blast my dog without knowing exactly how hard it hit. I think it more scares them and removes the physical contact dogs are after when they act out sometime . ( oh yeah .. the owner in your story needs somoene to put one on him... sheesh what a turd)

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
Ive been told Asprin, Baby asprin for my Pup's, so IDK if it depends on Body Weight or what, But one of the Ladies should be Chiming in soon that have Experiance. You can also GOOGLE it in search here, I use it for everything...Glad to Meet another NY-er TOO ;)
Hope all goes well.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
we use baby asprin after a hard workout so that they arent sore afterwards.... you can try it but we use the baby asprin on big ones too not just pups

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Our last dog was on aspirin twice a day, just give him something to eat with it. Keep the old tum tum from getting upset.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
I had a guy gather a couple of my pups up, I told him being both males it would require that one get neutered and constant observation.. He used E collars.. LOL that just made Hunk HULK out on his brother, they hit the button and he went red zone max all walleyed and they shot Hunk cause hes a dog killer.. LOL Thus why I quit selling pups to just anyone..

Im sorry for your experience at the same time you've learned something as soon as emotions settle reasoning kicks in.. Child asprin and Valium IMO are the safest man meds for pain relief for dogs.. You should be able to order rimadyl or a form of pet pain aid from Medications at Drs. Foster and Smith

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
Tri buffered aspirin is easier on the kidneys. As per Dr. Shin at Rockledge Animal Clinic. A dog I used to house sit for always had hip issues.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
always the best stories.. I love history and experience thanks Uncle WillWill and thats what the lil fircrackers are good for these days, to humble some maneater or ghetto fide wanna be pit.!!!

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Great story WW

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
loved the story!

·
Banned
835 Posts
these are the stories i live for,...i wish it was me and
my first dog Louie, or even Gucci for that matter.(both r.i.p)
that masturd woulda got handled properly...my only
question is, "would the shock collar transmit into my
dog as well" my guess is yes...wth do you do then? lol
as far as the pain, i wouldn't mask it as you won't be able
to ascertain the severity right now. i would wait 48 hrs and
see where you're at. dogs have a high pain tolerance and
don't need to be "babied" as one would think.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
The vet can only do something if its broken. I went through a sprained paw last summer. If he is putting any weight on it and allows you to touch and feel around the bones without showing to much pain, its just a sprain. My vet said 6 weeks of lockdown, NO long walks, no exercise, no fun, and she wanted me to crate him when I was not home to keep him still. After 2 weeks I thought my pup was gonna go crazy from the lack of exercise so I let him play fetch a little. bad idea. He was limping again that night and I had to start the 6 weeks over again. Keep him off it and as long as its not broken, pain meds will only make him think his paw is better since he can;t feel the pain and work it harder, basically hurting it more. My worry is the dog not having it shots and maybe your pup catching something that way or getting an infection on a wound.

Sorry about your experience and glad your both "OK"

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
great story!! And thanks Ames.. yeah, today seems like a turn for the better, he is walking around ok, not 100 percent, but better than yesterday. He is resting A LOT more than usual so i do think he is still hurting. the other dog not having shots was something i havent considered. I was more worried bout the physical aspect of my boy, he is UTD on everything, so hopefully he will be fine on that note... :) And yea, we are doing "ok" for the most part

1 - 14 of 14 Posts