Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way I can get my dog used to loud noises.?? I heard using a bottle with some rocks work. I tried it but Kira was petrified and wouldnt move or eat her treats, i felt so baddd so I took it off. Please help.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Is there a way I can get my dog used to loud noises.?? I heard using a bottle with some rocks work. I tried it but Kira was petrified and wouldnt move or eat her treats, i felt so baddd so I took it off. Please help.

Yah you can't feel bad you just gotta let her grow a pair.

I've only heard people using this for WP though.

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
What are you trying to do exactly? Tying a bottle of rocks on her is only going to make her more scared. You can't force something like that so sudden.

You always need to go gradual. Plus isn't she a 3 month old pup? She's gonna be wary of things, just like kids are scared of some noises.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are you trying to do exactly? Tying a bottle of rocks on her is only going to make her more scared. You can't force something like that so sudden.

You always need to go gradual. Plus isn't she a 3 month old pup? She's gonna be wary of things, just like kids are scared of some noises.
Im tryna get her ready for WP, its how to bottle idea got brought up. I tie the bottle to her leash and shorten it so she cant get hooked on nothing. But ok so should i stop the bottle and do something else.. ??

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Yes thats what im tryna do get her ready for weight pull. Thats how it got brought up to use bottles

Take it easy with it just like everything else in life start small and gradually build up. Don't expect her to be a champ right away it takes work and patience unfortunately shes gonna need to suffer through it but keep encouraging her.

The key is positive motivation!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
You should not have your dog train for Weight pull really until they are fully grown or at least 18 months old. Puppies can wear a harness but don't start adding anything to it until they are older, their bodies shouldn't be worked out until they can handle the work out.

In case you don't care about the future health and longevity of your dog and want to still train to pull, start slow don't fill it with anything until she is used to something behind her. Make sure its not bouncing behind her, smooth flat surfaces are best not bumpy grass or fields.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
You should not have your dog train for Weight pull really until they are fully grown or at least 18 months old. Puppies can wear a harness but don't start adding anything to it until they are older, their bodies shouldn't be worked out until they can handle the work out.

In case you don't care about the future health and longevity of your dog and want to still train to pull, start slow don't fill it with anything until she is used to something behind her. Make sure its not bouncing behind her, smooth flat surfaces are best not bumpy grass or fields.
I think at this point he's just trying to get her used to it so the harness and the rocks aren't more than 5 lbs of added weight

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
I think at this point he's just trying to get her used to it so the harness and the rocks aren't more than 5 lbs of added weight
No, he was just tying the bottle to the leash.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, he was just tying the bottle to the leash.
The weight definitly wasnt close to 5 pounds. It is a 20 oz bottle with 2 small rocks. And Im not having her pull nothing til she is a year old that i already know, I was just tryna get her used to draggin something. Which reading in THIS forum told me it was ok to do. She has a harness and is used to it. And dont worry I also know not to have her pull weight til she has a WP harnesses. In no way am I trying to train her wrong, over work her or neglect the fact that shes a pup. Im just tryna get her used to it.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
The weight definitly wasnt close to 5 pounds. It is a 20 oz bottle with 2 small rocks. And Im not having her pull nothing til she is a year old that i already know, I was just tryna get her used to draggin something. Which reading in THIS forum told me it was ok to do. She has a harness and is used to it. And dont worry I also know not to have her pull weight til she has a WP harnesses. In no way am I trying to train her wrong, over work her or neglect the fact that shes a pup. Im just tryna get her used to it.

Do your thing bro Like I said Positive Motivation

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
Im tryna get her ready for WP, its how to bottle idea got brought up. I tie the bottle to her leash and shorten it so she cant get hooked on nothing. But ok so should i stop the bottle and do something else.. ??

Right here Aubs.

You are progressing too quick. You should get them used to dragging something behind them before adding noise.

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
Remember to USE THE HARNESS. You don't want to tie things to the dogs collar.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Keep in mind (I don't know how much your dog weighs) but 5lb is a lot when the pup is say 25lbs or so pulling from the neck when the leash is attached. Take a look on craigslist or online forums, someone maybe getting rid of a small harness that might fit for cheap so you can get her used to the feel without spending money for her to out grow.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts