Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found her dead.

When I brought Trance in for his mystery injury, I put her in his spot because it's the coolest during the day. There is an old wellhouse that the dogs love to sleep in. I am thinking that whatever did this is in there. Maybe a spider??

This is all very strange I am still in shock.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
OMG I'm so sorry!!! Vaia is the puppy correct? It could have been a black widow or brown recluse... I'd have a necropsy done! She wasn't showing signs of illness beforehand??? If she was outside it could have been heat stroke? I'm so sorry!

Check for snake bite marks too!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
I am so sorry! I lost some animals last year to unidentified bites I know how shocking it is.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OMG I'm so sorry!!! Vaia is the puppy correct? It could have been a black widow or brown recluse... I'd have a necropsy done! She wasn't showing signs of illness beforehand??? If she was outside it could have been heat stroke? I'm so sorry!

Check for snake bite marks too!
I honestly don't think it could be heatstroke, it is heavily shaded, she was in the wellhouse which is VERY cool. Plenty of water. No Sign of a struggle....

Yeah she was the puppy.... It's just so suspicious that Trance is in the condition he is coming from that SAME spot. And when I found Trance he wasn't in the wellhouse where he usually is. Maybe he realized that whatever got him was in the wellhouse??? I don't know... I don't have the money for a necropsy..I wish that I did. A dead puppy was NOT what I was expecting to see...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sorry for your loss. Do you have any poisonous snakes or bugs?
Yeah we have quite a few of both. There was no swelling that I could tell....or puncture wounds. I didn't look close enough for evidence of spider bites to be honest. I don't think it was a snake. We do have recluses and black widows...

I can't find anything on Trance, its hard to tell on him because he still has a few small wounds from before.

Sean is going to call pops when he gets a break at work to tell him the news....he's going to be heartbroken. I am still shocked.

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
Well I would count out the spider bite to be honest. Most spider bites take a minute to actually kill you, plus there would be a huge a** bump somewhere that would have disolved tissue around it.

Is the wellhouse underground? As like...you go inside and step down a bit? If so it could be a gas. Call your local fire department and ask them if they'd be willing to come out and check for different gasses. Could be something like that.

I'm sorry to hear about this though, it's always tough to lose a pet :(

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I would count out the spider bite to be honest. Most spider bites take a minute to actually kill you, plus there would be a huge ass bump somewhere that would have disolved tissue around it.

Is the wellhouse underground? As like...you go inside and step down a bit? If so it could be a gas. Call your local fire department and ask them if they'd be willing to come out and check for different gasses. Could be something like that.

I'm sorry to hear about this though, it's always tough to lose a pet :(
She was only 25lbs. I'm not sure about the gas. It's a sulphur spring wellhouse. It's not very deep in the ground, maybe 12" inset into the hill.

I don't know what could have happened.....its very odd.

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
Aw girl I'm so sorry :( R.I.P. Vaia. Dang you've had it so hard I'm so sorry *hugs* Do you think she would have eaten a spider? My bobcat bubba was playing in the garage and found a black widow. He always ate bugs and flies so he probably thought it would be fine. He was so so sick I thought he got poisoned and rushed him to the vet. They had him there for almost a week. He was on IV's and before he came home they gave him a big shot of fluids that made him look like a hump back. They said if we had gotten home a half hour later he wouldn't have made it.
I'm so sorry girl keep your head up *more hugs*

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
What a terrible thing to happen. I'm sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it normal for a dog to bite through it's tongue after it dies?

Thanks everyone for your support. I am determined to get to the bottom of this. We are burning the wellhouse this weekend.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
OMG I'm so sorry! What a terrible tragedy.
You've been through it too. Its hard.

I went and did a little forensic investigation. I found quite a bit of vomit. The first vomit contained partially digested dog food and bits of rawhide I had given her with her food. Then there were at least 2 other spots that were also vomit. They were pure, slimy looking liquid that had the sheen of a snail's trail, kwim? There was a lot of this.

She also had a tick, but it appeared to have been there for a few days.

Good Bye Little Girl.....

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
Oh girl so sorry. If she bit through her tongue them I'm willing to bet she had a seizure. Our American Bulldog had seizures. He had to be put down but one before he passed he bit through his tongue and it took a long time to heal. Do you know if any dogs related to her had seizures? That could be what happened. One of Mack's caused brain damage and we had to put him down cause of it.
*more hugs* so sorry :(

·
Registered
366 Posts
it could have been alot of other thing other than bugs or snakes. where do you liveat like the city or the woods? someone could have spilled something from their car, or the fact that alot of people dont like pit bulls. someone could have easily had poisoned him.

now for snakes, ive seen a young pup get bitten by a velvet tail rattlesnake around the age of 10mths old but the only thing that had happend was her head had swollen up to the size of a basketball.

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
I'm guessing if she bit through her tongue it was a seizure a necropsy will tell for sure.
once again *hugs* so sorry for your loss. :(

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I checked her for bites. Nothing. Nothing at all. We live in the country and there's no one around really. I don't get why out of all the big scary males while they would choose to poison a puppy. She was on a tie out so she didn't get into any chemicals.

What about the rawhide????

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
If she puked it out then that probably wasn't it. When rawhides mess up a dog it's when they digest them and it goes into the intestins. She may have had a heat enduced seizure. Is it really hot where you are?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I was thinking seizure as well, but I believe heat stroke and anaphylaxis could cause seizures so the only way to really know is a necropsy. The suggestion of the dogs having eaten a spider seems plausible if no marks are present. We don't have any really poisonous spiders out here, but I am so allergic to even safe spiders that I had MRSA for almost a year and the doctors thought I had a spider problem in my house and the boils I had were from spider bites lol. So the range of reaction can be pretty wide. There might be a nest, and the baby spiders just hatched, which would make the bites small and hard to see, if the pup was in ground zero so to speak she may have had multiple bites from many baby hatching spiders, and the adult may have been further away and only got one, and was basically rendered immobile, and wasn't able to get close enough to the others.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts