Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning our neighbors cows got out of the pasture and crossed a field and were coming into my yard to chew on some grass (Yes my grass is greener then on the other side), which is no big deal. My gf and I watched the little cows jump around and play for awhile, but had other things to do, so we continued with our house work. A little while later I checked on the cows to make sure they made it back home, but when I looked out the window I noticed they had crossed another big field and was heading towards the woods. That's when I knew the farmer didn't know the cattle were out and I should be a good neighbor and go get his cows, so off I go with my dog at my side of course. By the time my dog and me reached the cows they were deep in the woods, so we went right in after them. Neither my dog nor myself has ever worked cattle before (my extent of experience is with horses), but she showed no fear. She barked when she needed to and she has never listened to commands as good as she did today. I'd tell her to wait and she would stop on a dime, then I'd say get em and she'd get right back into it. We were jumping over logs, running through pricker bushes, across swampy water and through a creek, but we got those cows out of the woods in less then 5 minutes. We then took them across the field, up a service drive and back to the pasture. After we got the cows back to where they needed to be I see the farmer crossing the field with his Australian cattle dog and the first words out of his mouth were, "You and your dog are making me and my dog look bad". I responded with "That's a pit bull for you." Both him and myself were amazed at how she worked those cows and she has never done anything like that before and like I said before she did it with such confidence, bravery, drive and she listened to every command so well. I truly love my girl and feel as if there is no limit to what not only she, but what this breed is capable of. Very proud daddy today indeed.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Well, sounds like y'all had a busy day! Congrats on a job well done rescuing the cattle! LMAO @ what the farmer said.

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
Your story gave me goosebumps. Great job. :)

·
Registered
901 Posts
Great job. A new breed has been born the official, cattle pit bull. I bet she was very proud of herself also.

·
Registered
962 Posts
That is AWESOME!! Way to go, and for the owner to see it must have been a nice little pat on the back for not only you but your dogger!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was grinning from ear to ear all that day. I am always proud of my dog, but a little more so that day. I could not wait to get to work the next day to tell everybody what she did. I don't have any kids, but she is like one to me and I wanted to tell everyone about my little girl. I tried to put myself in her shoes and if I only weighed about 47lbs I don't think I would have the guts to take on 20-30 cows head on, but she did. What a great dog and breed!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
YAY what a great story, thanks for sharing, extra kibbles or a nice bone for your pup is needed :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts