Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So within the last hour or two once I got home from work i've noticed that Kane's eyes looked a little pink.

Then I noticed that his right eye is swelling. Its very apparent at this point. Looks like he was in a boxing match. I've also noticed that he bit his back legs a little raw. Never done this before.

There is an emergency vet I could take him to, which I might do.

Also thinking about giving him some benadryl and just waiting until tomorrow morning to take him in to our regular vet.

Anyone have an opinion on this one way or the other?

EDIT: I will also add that his behavior is unaffected. He's still playful ate his dinner which I fed him about the time I noticed the abnormally pink eyes.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Personally if its my dog I wouldnt play around with anything eye related with it swelling Id take him in , give the benadryl but if you dont notice a change within a couple hours or it gets worse Id go in, I wouldnt wait a day for this , something unknown and out of the blue like that JMO. has he had anything new? food? bedding? treat?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I also wanted to add
If you are thinking about waiting till tomorrow or going in to the emergency vet some things to look at

Is your dog able to breath ok and without any issue?
Is the dog's attitude is ok? eating drinking ok?
If the answer is yes then you can wait till tomorrow.

I would worry if the dog has vomited more than once, has trouble breathing, is lethargic, has a fever, any of those things I might be going to the e vet.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the prompt responses guys. Shortly after I posted this his eye swelling worsened and his lips swelled up as well.

So off to the Vet we went. Gave him a benadryl shot and a dexamethesone shot.

Tomorrow AM he's supposed to start 75mg Benadryl 3x Daily. for 3 days.

Breathing was fine. Food and Water intake was fine. No behavior changes and it was the skins around his eyes that was pink, not the whites of his eyes.
But he looked like he went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson in his prime and lost so I thought it best just to go.

Swelling has gone down quite a bit, i'll continue to watch him closely tonight.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He seems fine for the most part now but wanted to just show you guys what my poor little dude looked like!

Pics from Last week.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
OH hell.. he got stung... or Spider bit.. probably stung .. hornet, wasp, etc.. that got in the house and he dispatched it.. probably stung him as he ate it or chomped it and killed it..

benedryl was the key, way to stay sharp and if $ is not an issue .. E Vet. :clap:

My dogs woulda got benedryl and a calamine bath... cause Im a lil backwoods like that, but you made a good call incase he had an extreme allergic reaction.

Best of wishes........

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Sounds like an allergic reaction, can he breath ok? No need to rush to the vet unless you feel that worried then by all means go but it is just likely he got bit by something. Give some benadryl and watch him closely
:goodpost: as always all the way through... :clap:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts