Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that's her name I think she is a fool. Watching her show right now { there is nothing else on and i'm still in bed not ready to get up lol} This lady has a neo mastiff or something that is tearing her home up and just hyper. She is using a crate which I think most would recommend while not at home . Victoria made her get in the crate and went off about how it degrades them, makes them stressed out and bored ect ect. OK I can see bored that's the owners job to give them things to keep busy with and get them out for excercise and stuff. To say it stresses them out and degrades them is ridiculous I think my dogs love there crates. If it stressed them out so bad they wouldn't be sleeping in there during the day while the doors are open. This is a great tool especially for people who have dogs like this or are in the process of training. I have only watched a couple of her shows but haven't been impressed with her in any of them. I like caeser more then her atleast him I have seen a couple methods I like. She also told her if she gets him fixed it will fix allot of the issues which I think is false , either way its going to take some training, its not all about get him fixed and he will magically be better. Really I just hate these trainer shows they give people a false sense they watch a half hour show and think they can do that in a day , and have a huge pack live happily lol , if you need a trainer go find a local one and work with them with your dog , don't try and do a do it yourself based on a tv show you can make a problem so much worse if not handled right.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
They have both said good and bad things in shows I have watched. The thing is, not all dogs are the same and you have to adjust training for the dog. I have a bed for Mel and I would put it in his crate (it fits perfect) and he drags it back out and lays on it. No matter what I do I fed hium in his crate (door open) leave the door open all the time but he is not a fan of his crate at all. it was never used as punishment, just so he would not tear my house up. Now he knows better and all I have to do is make sure I stop leaving food out on the low counter, lol. . I would think keeping him in it all day would be mean but totally different if there was a dog who actually liked going in theirs. Mel also gets aggressive in tight spaces, like when he is in a hallway and has no where to go, or in the car and someone tries to reach inside he doesn't know. he might just be claustrophobic lol

One show I caught about pit bulls and Victoria stressed the damage they are doing is probably due to lack of exercise. (and other things she worked on with the owners) but that part was good of her to explain. I agree but I hate people who quote them like they are the end all be all of dog training (Cesar and Victoria) I think they are both equally bad and not realistic.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
exactly, they have good points you can maybe take and use in your routine and training ways but its not something I would try and follow to a T especially since with a half hour they dont explain how to follow through or correct properly if they dont respond right its not just a command they magically know. I just think its bad the way she made it seem like they were dog abusers using the crate. the crate is a GREAT tool especially with this breed and with multiples. I would hate for someone to think its cruel based on what she said and not use it only to regret it later when there dogs get into it and they arent home. Or come home to a torn up $3000 bed or couch lol. Just felt she could have used different words then cruel and gone about it a different way.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
exactly, they have good points you can maybe take and use in your routine and training ways but its not something I would try and follow to a T especially since with a half hour they dont explain how to follow through or correct properly if they dont respond right its not just a command they magically know. I just think its bad the way she made it seem like they were dog abusers using the crate. the crate is a GREAT tool especially with this breed and with multiples. I would hate for someone to think its cruel based on what she said and not use it only to regret it later when there dogs get into it and they arent home. Or come home to a torn up $3000 bed or couch lol. Just felt she could have used different words then cruel and gone about it a different way.
totally! Its not cruel at all, that word is horrible way to describe it. She should have explained it the people using it incorrectly that's makes it cruel not the crate itself. So frustrating! and I would have no choice in Multi dog house, talk about trying to make people feel bad for no reason! (or at least people who dont know any better like you said!)

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I love crates, they're fantastic tools in so many situations. And I agree with the above, they make good points, bad ones, utterly ridiculous ones. I take bits from every trainer I've looked into that I like and store them in my head. And after training shelter dogs for awhile now, you definitely need to have a full arsenal of different ways to go about teaching something. You're not going to teach the Cattle Dog to keep from mouthing like you would a Lab, etc.

And I also agree that it's when people follow folks like a bible that things get messy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts