Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had Josey for four months. She sleeps well in her crate all night. We haven't left her alone too often and so far only for an hour or an hour and a half at a time. Tonight was the longest for three hours.
This may sound silly, but I have videotaped her each time we leave and almost the entire time is spent whining, barking and howling.
She goes in the crate when we are here and sleeps like a baby in it, but when left alone it is a different story.
I read about dogs being left all day in their crates when owners are at work and wonder if anyone else has videotaped their behavior.
Josey never barks when we are home and it is shocking to see how different she is when we are gone.
If I hadn't videotaped her alone time in the crate we would have no idea of what she goes through. Maybe not knowing would be better.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
310 Posts
hmmm from my experience i always let them whine and cry and eventually they got used to it and are fine.. it didnt take long. i think you should leave her in there alone longer then u do so she can get used to it

3,968 Posts
they will get over it...unless its seperation anxiety then you need to definately work on that!!! give her stuff to do when you are gone. fill up a kong with peanut butter or cream cheese freez it over night and give it to her b4 you guys leave. a kong is like giving a crying baby a bottle or pacifier.

·
Registered
244 Posts
she'll get over it she has no choice, its not like you can let the dog run loose all day when your at work, I give my dog the marrow bones, 1 a day when I know he's going to be in the crate for awhile, that keeps him busy for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I suggest either quit taping since it makes you feel guilty or my #1 suggestion, try some of the ideas listed on this thread and tape once every other day to see if there is the kind of progress you are looking for. If it all fails, your dog may have separation anxiety.

3,968 Posts
she'll get over it she has no choice, its not like you can let the dog run loose all day when your at work, I give my dog the marrow bones, 1 a day when I know he's going to be in the crate for awhile, that keeps him busy for a couple of hours.
my thoughts are if a dog is not used to the crate and doesnt like being in it, the dog will whine and bark regardless of whether or not the owner is home. I have dealt with many dogs that dont like the crate.they dont care if you are home or not they just dont like it. I feel if a dog is fine in the crate while someone is home then it is fine with being in the crate. i also feel if the only time your dog behaves like this is when you are gone, there is some sort of separation issue that you should really look into!!! I know plenty of apbts with separation anxiety issues. I found out Onyx had separation anxiety same way you found out how your dog acts while you are gone. at first i thought it was just cuz he is stuck in the crate while we were gone so i let him out of the crate and we realized it was worse then we thought. he broke through a screen to get to us one time we didnt crate him to see what would happen while we were gone. When we tried bringing him back in after he jumped through the screen he did not want to go back in and he was only ok with it if i stayed in the house with him. we worked on his issues a lot and now he is fine being alone in his crate or lose in the bedroom. I dont believe in giving dog full roam of the house if no one is home so he stays in the bedroom but thats just me. i would really look into the separation anxiety though!

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
sounds like chino..

one thing you might try doing, is dedicating a few hours to practice "short absences". Leave for just a few minutes, and reward when you come back. Don't let her out of the crate just yet. Go outside again for a bit longer, and if you have something that you say when you're leaving say it (jingle keys, say bye, etc)

I think a lot of us have dogs who are out of their crates for the most part, so we have to remind them that it is a safe place, and that our absences are not permanent. We will come back to let them out, and should leave something to occupy their minds. Each time you "leave" try and increase the time, and do this a couple times throughout the week. You're not going to see progress with this issue overnight.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone - I do think it is separation anxiety. I have left her with a nice frozen stuffed Kong that soon after we are gone gets ignored.
We are retired homebodies who don't really leave the house all that often at the same time. Miss Josey is pretty used to a very laid back schedule with one or the other of us here. Her two walks every day often are our only time out of the house for the day.
We are going to have to work on this and invent some reasons to make short trips out of the house leaving her at home. Trainer suggested today to actually lock her in her crate once and awhile in another room so that she gets used to not being in the same room with us all the time. We have a crate in the bedroom and one in the family room so this is doable.
Thanks again for your suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts