1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group wants to ban pit bulls from Seattle parks
Posted on August 29, 2011
by Bless the Bullys| Leave a comment
The group behind this effort, Families and Dogs Against Fighting Breeds, is the same group that unsuccessfully attempted to garner support for a city-wide pit bull ban in Seattle in 2008. Based on the statements of the group's founder, she is continuing her effort to "phase out" pit bulls. Rather than taking another stab at a city-wide ban, she is now apparently taking baby steps to pass BSL. If successful, she will most certainly attempt to once again garner support and pursue a pit bull ban in Seattle.

If you are in the Seattle area, please make every effort to attend the rally this Thursday, September 1, 2011 and Westlake Park at 5:30 p.m.

The group Families Against Breed Bans is organizing its members and will be in attendance at this rally. If you are interested in joining their efforts to counter the group attempting to ban pit bulls from Seattle, WA parks, please get in touch with them!

Families Against Breed Bans:

Families Against Breed Bans (FABB) | Facebook

August 22, 2011 post on the anti-pit bull rally:

Anti-Pit Bull Rally in Seattle, WA | Bless the Bullys

Group wants to ban pit bulls from Seattle parks

SEATTLE - A group is seeking city approval to ban pit bulls from all Seattle parks.

Attacked by dogs more than 20 years ago, Ellen Taft is gathering signatures to ban fighting breed dogs from off-leash areas and all Seattle parks.

"I am hoping for a gradual phasing out of all pit bulls," Taft said, head of the group Families and Dogs against Fighting Breeds.

Currently, Seattle city law is breed neutral.

According to Seattle Animal Control, pit bulls are responsible for nearly a quarter of the 250 bites in the city each year. But, they say very few attacks happen in parks; most of them occur in neighborhoods.

Families and Dogs against Fighting Breeds is the same group that tried unsuccessfully for a city-wide pit bull ban in 2008.

FDAFB is holding a rally next week, Thursday, September 1, at Westlake Park at 5:30 p.m.

Group wants to ban pit bulls from Seattle parks | KING5.com Seattle

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I can see offleash dog parks I think it would force those bad owners from putting this breed in a bad situation , But all parks? thats a bit excessive there are many small and large breeds who arent considered dangerous that are aggressive and mean , I been attacked with my dogs by labs, goldens, and shephards so a full out ban is ridiculous.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lmaoooo you should, see what happens :D

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
This ignoramous(sp?) has tried to ban them so many times before. It wont work.
You hardlt ever hear of a pit bull attack here,park or no park.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
This ignoramous(sp?) has tried to ban them so many times before. It wont work.
You hardlt ever hear of a pit bull attack here,park or no park.
lol you spelled it right... come to think of it i dont think ive heard of any pibble attacks from the pac north west i heard of em in la some in the south and the east coast, but rarely from Oregon or Washington. then again im not an avid news watcher

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Lately there has been 2 pit bull "attacks" in the news. AKA: people said dog charged them,so they shot it.

No bite/attack actually occured.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Lately there has been 2 pit bull "attacks" in the news. AKA: people said dog charged them,so they shot it.

No bite/attack actually occured.
one was in oregon and it was a puppy? this was like 4 months ago i think

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
The rally has been canceled for lack of security. Read: The police refused to provide security for Taft and the rest of the hate mongers.

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
The Stranger had an article about it and Ellen Taft responded in the comment thread stating it was canceled:

The article: Hear Ellen Taft Explain Why Pit Bulls are Bad Tonight | Slog

The comment: "It is unfortunate that Paul Holmes wrote many factual errors in his story about the rally
First of all I was not attacked by pit-bulls, but two mixed breed dogs owned by a drug dealer, who later told me that he had vicious dogs to "get the blacks" and that if I had the dogs euthanized that he would "get more dogs and train them to be just as vicious". The dogs charged me, after they bit me from behind, I turned and faced them and swung my shoulder bag at them, the two dogs cowered which Pit-bulls would not have done because in the words of pbrc.org they have "terrier" tenacity. The owner was the worst possible owner, but the dogs were not genetically predisposed to kill. It is always a combination of DNA and environment, not just environment.

Also I had a speech prepared in which I quote www.Pit-bull Rescue Central, which agrees with most of what the Protection of Animals and People Act does. I certainly was not going to quote from an as yet non-existent online petition.

Unforuntately, the rally has been canceled because Seattle Security felt that the liability would be too much, so I was unable to hire off-duty police to guard me. Neither Animal Control nor the police department would send anyone.

We need public hearings.

Ellen Taft, [email protected] "

From the horse's mouth :D

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Carrie, I had been lookin for this and couldn't find it :D

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
rumour is that is a false claim,and that the person who wrote this is trying to deture the pro pit bull owners in attending.

Pro pit bull orginizations are still meeting up at the same time and place.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Groups are sayi8ng not to bring dogs,cause some of these anti pit bull people are wack jobs,and the safety of the dog could become an issue.

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Swung by there on my way home from work, no one there but a handful of owners with their dogs. I almost wonder if Taft set this up to lure out the pit bull folks hoping to see some DA drama...

I did overhear that the police station never even received a request for security...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts