Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I suggest going to a weight pull event and meeting up with pullers and talking to people. We have a WP section here that has a lot of information. WP is not all about building muscle. Yes you need a fit dog and a do will build muscle from pulling and training, but there is more too it than muscle.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
agreed Id look up a local club in your area alot of times they hold practice a few times a year and offer new commers advice and tips might be somewhere to start and meet new people who can put you in the right direction. if your looking for a harness table rock or cdpits are great places to check out and they can custom make a harness for your dog at a very reasonable price. How old is your dog? You dont want to start to young you will want to make sure they wont injur themselfs or pull muscles and start off slow, hooking up to a tire is a great way to start it isnt to heavy but will add some resistance to teach them to go forward, and weight can be added easily to the inside of the tire when he is ready to move up, make sure a prper harness is being used though a walking harness will pull in areas that arent meant to take the strain and injury can occur.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I would { my boyfriend hasnt with our male yet but its best too} get him health checked like OFA hips ect and make sure they pass , if he happens to have bad joints or hips then I wouldnt do weight pull cause yes that can cause issues and injurys later on in life or even sooner if it is too much for him. 3 years is fine to get him started usually after a yearand half its fine to get going you just dont want to start a young pup there just not mature enough physically yet.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I have no idea where places are located im in canada lol , but here is a link to a club in michigan who does weight pull at the very least if they arent near you they may know of others in your area and be able to help you out , try contacting them All American Bulldog Club

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
There are weight pull events all over Michigan actually! I've got a friend here in Lansing with a UKC American Bulldog that weight pulls and another over to the Detroit area that also does weight pull with her UKC pit. You just have to find the right people that can help you along and give you tips on starting out! I was lucky enough to find them on livejournal on the various dog communities there (one community "petbulls" in particular).

·
Registered
776 Posts
michigan prolly wont have clubs they hate pits.
we have pulls in michigan! UKC is on hold right now but i believe they will see the error in stopping . There was an event this weekend.
You may want to get him checked out . Tell the vet what you plan to do , get his hips checked ect .
The best workout for WP is more wp! Just start slow and work up.
i just started with a small tire. alot just start with a milkjug fulla rocks and water

·
Registered
68 Posts
we have pulls in michigan! UKC is on hold right now but i believe they will see the error in stopping . There was an event this weekend.
You may want to get him checked out . Tell the vet what you plan to do , get his hips checked ect .
The best workout for WP is more wp! Just start slow and work up.
i just started with a small tire. alot just start with a milkjug fulla rocks and water
i actually did the water bottle and rock trick. You gotta be real carefule with that one.
My lil pit did NOT take likely to that. SHE FREAKED OUT. she started runnin around the house with the bottle behind her flying around n it finally flew off!

tried it again with her leash on her, and she flipped out even more and started barking and what not... so be real careful with that.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
i actually did the water bottle and rock trick. You gotta be real carefule with that one.
My lil pit did NOT take likely to that. SHE FREAKED OUT. she started runnin around the house with the bottle behind her flying around n it finally flew off!

tried it again with her leash on her, and she flipped out even more and started barking and what not... so be real careful with that.
read your last thread , sounds like your starting her wayyy to early.

·
Registered
68 Posts
read your last thread , sounds like your starting her wayyy to early.
I just did, and replied.

Ya let's just leave it at that, and say it was way to early... haha.

She FLIPPED out. they were just some small water bottles with tiny pebbls in them, but still. It was the idea of dragging something behind her that freaked her out, and she just took off running.

Haven't done anything like that since tho.

I've been working on getting her to walk well on her leash, and sit at every street corner before crossing. And walking right by me and not pulling. Like you said, once she gets all the basic stuff down 100% and is old enough, and mentally capable, thennnn, i'll try starting from there again! haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts