Go Pitbull Forums banner

Wanting To Tone Up My Dog | Condition Tips Appreciated

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  bahamutt99 
#1 ·
Hello GoPitbull community. It's been awhile since I've posted on this site. I need some tips on conditioning my female pitbull. She has not been fixed (yet) and she is about 2 years old. She is an APBT not a bully. We have been walking pretty much every day for about 3 months now. I have been going to the gym and take my dog on 2 walks a day for my cardio. Like I previously stated, I have been going to the gym to get in-shape and more toned and figured why not get my dog toned as well. I am willing to work with her and now have the time to work with her. I'm already trying to find a way to set up a spring pole and we have been walking every day. I am wanting her to be more toned like some of the other dogs I have seen on here. I know she will not be huge or look like she's on steroids and I don't want that anyway, I just want her to be a little more toned and athletic. Besides walks/runs or spring/flirt poles are there any way to get her into shape. I know a lot of people like to have their dogs pull weight but is it necessary in my situation, seeing how I don't plan to take her to shows or weight pull competitions? If so it's no big deal. Just let me know any equipment that I might need. Please give any info on what you do to condition your dogs. By the way, she is not/never will be a fighting dog in any way. She is a loving family dog to my girlfriend, daughter, and I. I know some one will ask this so I'm just putting it in there, I am slowly starting her on Diamond Naturals dog food. Thanks and any info/tips are appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'd do the long walks, lots of fetch uphill if possible, flirt pole 20 min, spring pole 20 min and you can do dragging....you don't have to go to a show to drag, it's still a fun activity. But doing the long walks or runs (5miles) and lots of flirt and spring pole along with the RIGHt healthy diet you should be set :)

#4 ·
I do drag work with my dog even though I don't intend on competing with him. It's a great workout for them and my dog loves it, it gives them a job to do. I would definitely encourage it if it's something you're interested in.

I also do loooots of hills with my dogs. Mine aren't very toy motivated so I use sticks. I throw them up steep hills over and over. It's a great workout.

In the summer we go swimming every day. We cross the river back and forth a few times and it poops them right out, but it's a nice low-impact form of exercise.

We also do a lot of flirt pole and have just recently started with the spring pole too.

Handwalking every day is important for us, I think a lot of people tend to knock it but I really do think it's a great way to exercise your dog. I also allow a lot of off-leash runs, so if you have a remote area where it's safe to let your dog off-leash, that would be great. Nothing better than letting them run themselves tired!

#5 ·
Muscle toning can be achieved easiest by (as everyone as stated above me already) good, long hand walks. Steady pace. 3-5 miles just straight walking. Daily is ideal. Great for humans as well :)

....and proper portioned/quality diet of course is also important as well, but let's just assume you have that down already.

I get asked all the time by other owners how to tone muscles on their dogs, and I ask them how much they walk them. Surprisingly most if not all don't do enough of it. Just enough to defecate and sniff around/mark is definitely not enough.

IF ANYTHING, long walks.

Spring and flirt pole are great for toning as well, but walks I highly value over anything. Its the easiest thing to do and dogs really benefit from it.

Fetch in open flat fields is overrated and really doesn't do much... But fetch on hills is great.

I don't personally use too much of spring pole in my "maintenance" conditioning since I'm a bit limited by space & whatnot, but I have had amazing results with long walks, flirt pole, slat mill work, and swimming. Those are my absolute staples in conditioning.

Also, another thing people tend to forget are genetics. Cater to your dog's own health and needs, and don't let a picture of a dog you see online be your "set in stone" goal. Some dogs just don't tone up as easily(or at all) as other dogs.

Stay consistent and, most of all, keep it FUN for both you and the dog. :)

#7 ·
I agree with the walking, flirt pole, and spring pole. My old dog never really looked nearly as good as some of the dogs I see, but I chalk that up to genetics (he was fit just not with smexy muscles). One thing that he loved and worked well for us was biking. we would rotate our walking and biking days. Of course safety first...your dog needs to build up stamina before heading out for a 3 mile bike ride, and has to be well trained to keep everybody safe.

#8 ·
Sorry if it was already mentioned, but if your dogs like water and you have access to a fairly strong creek. One of my favorite exercises is walking my dog against the current. Good shoulder work out. :)

#9 ·
I've always gotten the best results in workouts that involve at least some resistance. Drag work is always a good one for that, and springpole. If I do too much cardio, my dog will lean out, but she will be "flat." When we do drag weight, she gets just the right amount of "pop" without being musclebound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.