Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Inkd & Dogs gotta love it
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

COCOA SHELL MULCH

"Please share with all the pet owners you know & ask them to do the same, this could save a pets life"
This Product is HIGHLY TOXIC TO DOGS & CATS

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's & they claim that "it is true that sudies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog) However 98% of the dogs wonts eat it

Cocoa Mulch which is sold by Home Depot, Target & Foremans' Stores contains a lethal ingredient called Theobromine. It is lethal to dogs & cats. It smells like chocolate & its really attracts dogs. they will ingest this stuff, go into seizures and possibly pass away.

Theobromine is in all Chocolate expecially DARK & BAKERS Chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine & theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions & died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents & the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

THE REASON I AM SHARING THIS IS BECAUSE A CLIENT CAME IN WITH HER DOG THAT INGESTED IT SO I WANTED TO POINT IT OUT SINCE FOLKS ARE STARTING TO GARDENS AGAIN.​

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
you might have saved my dog's lives. A few times in the previous years I almost bought cocoa shell mulch ( its a great seed starter ).
Bought no seed starting soil this year, but who s to say in the future i would not have come across it and got some. Although i keep garden stuff away from my dogs i can only do so much when they are in the yard. as the plants and flowers begin to grow i am now giving them a designated area. ( i yard them for their poo and pee, pick up the poo), i yard them when i am combing and brushing, and sometimes to jest chill with me in the porch.

i did not know of coco shell mulch being so toxic, nor would i have come across it any time soon. I am indebted to you, and thank you deeply for passing along this info.

·
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nina ... Not a problem... I was very sad for our client we did everything we could but unfortunate the dog passed away.

Her name was Bonnie the little Shi Tzu .. :(

·
Registered
87 Posts

COCOA SHELL MULCH

"Please share with all the pet owners you know & ask them to do the same, this could save a pets life"
This Product is HIGHLY TOXIC TO DOGS & CATS

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's & they claim that "it is true that sudies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog) However 98% of the dogs wonts eat it

Cocoa Mulch which is sold by Home Depot, Target & Foremans' Stores contains a lethal ingredient called Theobromine. It is lethal to dogs & cats. It smells like chocolate & its really attracts dogs. they will ingest this stuff, go into seizures and possibly pass away.

Theobromine is in all Chocolate expecially DARK & BAKERS Chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine & theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions & died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents & the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

THE REASON I AM SHARING THIS IS BECAUSE A CLIENT CAME IN WITH HER DOG THAT INGESTED IT SO I WANTED TO POINT IT OUT SINCE FOLKS ARE STARTING TO GARDENS AGAIN.​
we used that stuff last year and bandit played in it, no health defects so far a year later, but we switched to oceans forest or something like that this year lol

·
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we used that stuff last year and bandit played in it, no health defects so far a year later, but we switched to oceans forest or something like that this year lol
I am truly happy it did nothing to your dog. But tell that to the lady who brought her dog in to our hospital, we got to watch her pass away.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Thanks alot i mean it i was considering buying this today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts