Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine asked me a question today about rescuing APBT's from shelters or rescue groups that I can't answer. I'm new to the breed my self as far as owning 1, and I know they have changed a lot since I was a kid. I was raised with a pit that was my Grandmothers. But Until I got mine recently I haven't been around them. And I know the breed has changed a lot since the 70's.

Any way he has come to like my Amber and wants to get a APBT of his own, and wants to rescue 1 but isn't sure if it is a good idea. Reason being is you hear of all the BYB (back yard breeders) dogs ending up at the pound or rescues.

And a lot of the info you read about pits says not to buy from BYB's because of genetics and such. I guess he doesn't want a dog that's going to be prone to hip dysplasia or any other bad traits. Any thoughts on what to tell him is greatly appreciated! :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
You can get perfectly fine dogs from the shelter and dogs with temperament or health issues from breeders. Many purebred and very nice dogs end up in shelters. It can go either way for a dog regardless of being from a breeder or shelter.

If your friend wants a pet then look into a shelter and see if something fits. If they want a competition dog look into a breeder. If they don't feel comfortable with with a shelter dog find a good breeder and wait for them to have a litter with pet quality dogs.

Reactions: Patch-O-Pits

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Your friend should look at Pit Rescues. The dogs that end up in those shelters are more likely to be temperment tested, the dogs are already spayed/neutered and have their shots.

If your friend really wanted a APBT he should join here and start learning about the breed.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
BYB, and rescue, 2 good topics.
i'll be short,A pit rescue, whether the dog is blooded high, or just a slouch breeding, it has already survived many feats of extreme scrutiny.
they are put through ALL the right paces for the most part.it can be ugly, deformed, hocked,whatever,it will for the most part be sound in regards to being A pet.them folks don't play, and learn quick. in that biz, you can't make mistakes often, and sometimes not at all.ok,I tried to be short,,,

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Our last two dogs both came through a shelter then a rescue group. I think it's a great way to go, so many dogs that need good homes, unlimited choices for an adopter. Just because a dog comes from a shelter doesn't mean it can't be a great dog, some may have issues, just pick and choose till you find the 'right' one. You won't get papers, can't show the dog unless it's some sort of fun match, may not even have a good history on the animal, but it's a great thing giving them a good home. I'd go this route again for sure. :thumbsup:

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
I have to say I think it depends on you area, as I was saying in a Previous thread, The Pound (so to speak) Here in NY is FULL of BYB and Drug bust dogs. Thats not to say Dogs from Drug Busts are Bad !! My BEST FEMALE came from a NO KNOCK warrant on a crack Spot. She was 12 wks when they got her, I worked for them (the HUMANE SOCIETEY/Not crack spot) LMBO..and she was Wonderful for 12 Yrs !! HOWEVER my Male also Came from the same, as he has Fear Agression along w other issues. my feeling is where the dogs come from at the HS, City life or Suberban/Country...Not to say bad situations are only in the city..so thank you for letting me confuse you worse, lol

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
my pup was rescued, you can get wonderful, pure breed dogs most don;t think to look. It would shock people how many are owner surrendered. Most pit Bulls are put down at shelters, so if there is one for adoption, they would have passed EVERYTHING they could toss at the pup with flying colors. Most people know the misconceptions of the breed and would not want to set any dog up to fail and take added precautions. BYB typically don't pay for temperament testing. not sure about breeders, but I would never spend thousands for a pup when so many are put to death in shelters, but thats just me and how I feel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The two best behaved dogs I've ever had were/are rescues. Pinkie does have hip problems, nothing bad just discomfort. I would not be scared to rescue again, just because of her hips.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Good dogs are where you find them... Meaning I've seen some horrible sickly dogs come from breeders and gorgeous healthy correct dogs come from BYBs and or shelters. Genetics can be a funny thing.
The best advice for anyone looking for a dog is that they research the breed and learn about structural and temperament evaluations to help them make informed choices.

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
Good dogs are where you find them... Meaning I've seen some horrible sickly dogs come from breeders and gorgeous healthy correct dogs come from BYBs and or shelters. Genetics can be a funny thing.
The best advice for anyone looking for a dog is that they research the breed and learn about structural and temperament evaluations to help them make informed choices.
:goodpost:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info! Been trying to get him to register on here but he is almost computer illiterate lol and spends most all of his free time outside or with his kid. Said he'd be over this week end to let his little girl play with Amber. I'll see if I can't get him signed up then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts