Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A week ago we euthanized our pet.
He was 4 and a half years old. This was our first dog together.
We took a show-class puppy from parents of champions (Ukraine). Our pet turned out to be very similar to his parents, very beautiful and strong - weight 75 pounds, height 22-23 inches.

The dog was very loved, received a lot of attention and affection, he slept next to our bed, was always with us, adjusted to our pace of life. We got great pleasure from working with him - we learned all the possible commands and tricks.
We rejoiced at his work in dog sports competitions.

Very rarely on prohibitive commands (stop chasing a neighbor's cat, or excessive barking at extraneous noise) - he could growl, and raised fur on the back.
We had several cases of aggression.

The dog is in the yard, my 13 y.o. sister has been playing puller with him, he runs and brings. The child knows the main rule of the game - do not take anything away from the dog. (To me and my wife, as the owners, dog gave any thing on the command "give"). At some point the dog got tired and the game stopped, the dog was resting holding the puller in his teeth. The child, not wanting to take away the toy from the dog, came up to pet the dog, approached to pet it - the dog threw the puller and hit the child in the face with its open mouth (a fang scar remained on the cheek).
Assessing the seriousness of the situation, they turned to cynologists for help, from that moment, in parallel with group classes on the site, individual classes with a cynologist began.
We added more rules to our life with a dog to avoid provocations.
Homework assignments from cynologists were completed by 80%, although they could have tried more.

The dog was resting on his bed in the evening, and my a 10 y.o. sister decided to come up, sit next to him and pet him, the dog attacked without warning, the result was biting on her arm, not deep, without serious injuries.
With these children, the dog could sleep on the couch, opening the doors on its own at night and climbing onto the couch at the feet and all was good.
After this incident, a new cynologist was found, new rules were introduced, new methods, only positive reinforcement.

In our absence, the dog lay down under the dining table, and at the same time, our grandfather needed to fix the table leg, the result - a hand bite, without serious injury. Shallow punctures from the teeth, a bruise.

The dog and children are in the yard, the dog is walking along the parapet, a child of 10 years old is walking nearby, on the ground. The child gesticulated and the dog at that moment attacked the child's hand - there were no serious injuries. Small punctures from the teeth, bruises.
The dog is given another new chance, we again change the cynologist.
With a new cynologist, we begin to work on trust, reorganize, control our emotions, change the tone when giving commands, work on eliminating situations in which it is possible to provoke dog aggression. Only positive reinforcement, praise, work on exclusively food motivation.
In parallel, the cynologist explains to us that you have a dog with a very strong character, that this is an absolute plus for service, but a minus for ordinary life.
We also understand that the family is large, both old people and children visit regularly, all this will unbalance the emotional state of the dog.
We ask family to follow the rules, exclude provocations, do nothing in relations with dogs without discussing with us.

Another act of aggression occurred a year ago. The dog was resting in the yard, sleeping peacefully in the shade.
Our grandfather was passing by, and at that moment the dog grabbed his boot and patted him for about 10 seconds. Miraculously, there were no injuries, the shoes were leather and strong.

After that, we started to give up. We also thought about transferring to enclosure conditions, euthanasia, and castration (from which several veterinarians dissuaded us, saying that this would not affect the behavior of an adult formed dog in any way).
We did not decide on euthanasia, we thought that the responsibility for the behavior of the dog, and all situations directly or indirectly lies with us. We also did not close him in the aviary, because we thought that for him it would be suffering, after a lifestyle in which he is like a tail 24 hours a day, constantly next to one of us.
We also did not dare to “torment” with xatration because of the words of the veterinarians about the futility of the procedure.
On the advice of the cynologist, they excluded all toys, rags, balls, pullers, leaving only walks to reduce the emotional degree.

"Incident"
After that there was a relatively calm period, but the war came to our house. Several days of living under 24-hour shelling of an airfield 1.5 miles from us, and the roar of Russian tanks 450 feet from our house. Then there was the evacuation, moving.
3 weeks ago we were visiting our parents, the dog was tied on a leash to the fence. There were many new people that day, including a child. We approached the dog from time to time, fed him, gave commands to relax and switch his attention. After a couple of hours, when the guests left, I went up to the dog to snap off the leash carbine and let the dog go. When I approached and extended my hand to the carbine, the dog grabbed my hand, held me for 4-5 seconds, and let go. The result - an open fracture of the finger, bleeding, numerous lacerations. We go to the hospital, X-ray, bandaging. When we return home to our parents, it is getting dark outside, the dog is whining in the yard, we need to let him go somehow. I take the pieces of cheese, distract him and snap the carabiner with my other hand. The dog runs away and heads towards his wife, he is too excited, I call out to him, he turns around, makes a circle, and attacks the other hand, holds for a few seconds, lets go. My wife manages to distract him with food, opens the garage and he goes there for food.
We go back to the hospital, this time there was no fracture, but there are numerous lacerations of the hand, the nurse does the dressing and we go home.

Despite the veterinary passport and all vaccinations, the doctors recommended placing the dog in rabies quarantine for 10 days. The dog was given sedatives to reduce the stress of isolation.
On the 11th day in the morning, the veterinarian gave a small dose of anesthesia through a tube, we put on a muzzle and went to another city to a veterinarian - a neurologist. The appointment was for the evening. The veterinarian carefully examined the dog, assessed his reactions and concentration indoors and outdoors. He did not find physical pathologies, he said that the dog had increased emotional activity for the dose of sedatives that the dog received, as well as morning anesthesia. He said that he had come across such situations, and the aggression would happen again, and it would hardly be possible to correct it. He said that keeping a dog on antidepressants for life is inhumane. He advised not to look for new owners for the dog, not to shift responsibility onto other people and make a painful decision.

Jeans Water Plant Tree People in nature

We miss him very much, we had a very strong emotional connection with him.
Have we done the right thing?
Considering each case of aggression separately - such situations could have been avoided.
Many of the breeders and breed experts we know have said that such cases of aggression are a genetic defect.

·
Administrator
5,636 Posts
Hello stasiq90 and welcome to GP.
Wow, that was quiet the read. I cannot even fathom going through the criminal tragedy your country is experiencing and dealing with the behavior and the loss of Riesen too. My sincerest sympathies.

Short answer to your question is yes, as hard as it was, you were absolutely correct in deciding on euthanasia.
As far as anything else you could have done, you went above and beyond giving Riesen chances of behavior correction.
When it comes to human aggression there is little leeway. Do not blame yourselves, you did not create the problem. Some dogs, no matter what the breed, are just unbalanced and despite their good points become dangerous to others and eventually us.
I offer my condolences for your loss and wish you and your loved ones the best. Our thoughts are with you all in Ukraine. Stay safe.

Joe

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow, looks a lot like my Conner .
You did the responsible thing. Don't beat yourself up, but I'm sure you will.
I was in a similar situation once. She hadn't yet but, but came close, people and my little dogs. She was a shepherd mix. You could see her mind unraveling in her eyes. Hardest thing I ever had to do.
Hugs to you and your family, stay safe!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BZOO, thanks for sharing your experience.
It will sound cruel, but in some way I feel sorry for the animal more than the person, because the animal can't take responsibility for itself and doesn't make any decisions. You are absolutely right about the hardest thing..
We hug you back, all the best to you and your family.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Definitely doesn't sound cruel, I get it.
Our dog, Abby, had been abused in her previous home, then dumped. It was just something she could not get past. She was a stunningly gorgeous girl and had so much potential. I hope her abusers rot, slowly, in hell. Before that, they can get stuck in a low budget nursing home for a few years.😂

1 - 8 of 8 Posts