Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Im new here and just signed up to ask about this. I have a blue pit Ive had for about a month.He's 6 months old and so far has been really sweet. He has growled at strangers,mailman etc. Then again strangers can come up to him on the leash and he loves them. Im a first time owner too btw.

Well I thought it would be a good idea to take him for a walk a few blocks over to watch some fireworks tonight. All was well till midnight, when they lite all the fireworks he REALLY wanted to check it out. He was pulling real hard on the lesh. I finally sat down and held him so he would choke himself pulling. He got really excited to where i couldn't hold him so I let the lesh out some as he was flipping out then I went to scratch him on his back to calm him and he turned, snarled and went to bit me in a way I haven't seem him act yet. I immediately let his leash out more and just let him pull his head off as we left. His anarling bit thing seemed like a warning to me not to mess with him. What do you more knowledgeable people think of this. I feel like i want to either get him that excited again, let him do it then beat his butt (this time being ready for anything) or go put him down one.

Hmm
Matthew

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
No point in keeping a dog that you feel like beating up and no logic in allowing an unstable dog to exist. Put him down and get a new pup that has been properly evaluated. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so this behavior would put him in the unstable category? Even with fireworks and possibly a first time seeing them for him? Ill do the right thing if need be. You guys know more about the pit bulls then I do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also keep in mind we were aprox 100 feet from where all kinds of ground and air fireworks was being lite up. Maybe it was to much for him? He was so excited im not sure he knew it was me touching him on the back. Not that anyone els was near us. he just lost his doggy mind for a min. If i would have let him go he would have attacked the fireworks on the ground with a vengeance..

·
RateMyPitbull.com Admin
799 Posts
He was probably anxious and scared, I wouldn't be worried about it. He probably was overwhelmed by the sound and noise and when you went to touch him, he wasn't expecting it. I can totally understand a dog doing that in this situation. Also, I find with pits, verbal correction works better than physical correction. No need to pop him, just use a firm voice and let him know you're in charge.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I pulled all my dogs inside for the fireworks mayhem that went on around here! I know it makes all of them bonkers so why contribute to their fear? Give your boy a hug and start over with the training. Get him used to his surroundings etc. etc. I know some of my dogs hang on to stuff like that for a while. good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Honestly fireworks or not I would not be happy with that sort of reaction from a pup. Fireworks are extremely stressful and allowing him to control the situation just added to the issue.

Too late now but what should have been done was when you saw he was overly excited and stressed he should have been taken out of the situation immediately.

I suggest doing some major obedience training and possibly NILIF training to see if you can get him back on track. From there I'd keep a close eye on behaviors and his developing temperament.

Reactions: reddoggy

·
The M.F. Problem
4,878 Posts
BedlamBully suggested NILIF(nothing in life is free) to me and I used some of the techniques outlined on the website. Raven is an awesome dog because of it. True, I felt a bit guilty at first, but it paid off in the end. Good post as always, Patch.... More rep points coming your way!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I didn't know about the NILIF techniques either, so thanks. I sure will use it.

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
You said he growls at strangers and the mailman? Is he inside or outside when this happens? Is he on a chain?

If he growls at strangers on his own property, but lets strangers come up to him when on a walk, it sound like he may be a little territorial and needs to be shown that the house is YOURS not HIS.

As others have mentioned NLIF can be a lifesaver. He needs to know that you are the boss, not him. This breed can be dominating. There are some dogs in this breed that will take over the house if you let them.

After training and OB classes, if you still have fear of your own dog, I would recommend finding a more experienced owner or putting him down. There is absolutely no reason to have a dog you fear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great feedback :)

Thank you all for the info. Now I have some useful input. Ive been reading about the NILIF training and will incorporate this at once. Ive been doing simpiler things but have let him have his way here and there. I need to check that. Thanks for input to Patch o pits, Your right I should be better at seeing his stresses and leave when he gets that excited. I usually have somewhat decent control over him verbally and I did for awhile last night, we were there prob 20 mins with fireworks. so him flipping right at the big ones maybe not so bad..

Betty,
when he growled at the mailman we were standing out front with him on a leash and the mailman drove up real quick. kind of right in front of us. So that's understandable. Now I basically rescued this dog about a month ago and am traveling so we are all over. Right now im visiting family in FL. So he's not even in his own yard really. My aunt went to feed him the other day ( he stays chained in the backyard for now) and when she went near him he growled but backed up and allowed her top take his bowl. I wasnt there. She told me she was scarred of him as he wasnt real happy with her being there.

I love Blue but I only have him because he showed up on a buddys porch one night during a snow storm up north. He was hungry, dehydrated, no tags but did have a collar. I put an add on craigslist for him and drove around the area looking for a "lost dog sign" a few times. no go.. I took a liking to him and am attempting to keep him with the traveling im doing. Heck I just spent 300-400 bucks on him.

I really appreciate you'alls input. I will be a responsible owner.

Matthew

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
Fireworks are very scary for some dogs...I almost lost Sydney last Fourth of July because of fireworks. She freaked out and ran dragging me down a hill, it was all I could do to keep hold of her leash.

My neighbor's dogs hides, and is snappy if you try to pull him out of his comfort zone, he also potties in the house.

One of my friends dog (Jack Russell) was left in a car while he watched fireworks, got scared by fireworks and managed to breakout of the car and ended up getting hit by a car.

I would be concerned about his response to a point, but I would deal with it properly and not condemn him for it.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Being excited over fireworks is not a huge deal. Turning and redirecting on the owner is. I personally wouldn't live with a dog that felt they could bite a human for any reason other than a real threat to the owner. JMO.

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
Turning and redirecting on the owner is. .
And that's the point. Other breeds may get a free pass on this type of behavior but the APBT should display confidence and a rock solid temperament.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I can understand the logic in bahamutt99 and buzhunter words. I dont have enough experience with the breed so im depending on you guys. I also understand GoPitbull and patch-o-pits point of views.

To add to this story, sometimes when another dogs around (petco) I can either let him near that dog, then he usually gets too interested within a minute, to the point the other dog and owner are not comfortable. Then I have to get him out of view of the other dog or he will get QUITE excited that he cant get to the other dog. Excited enough that it will scare the other party. Thought I would throw that out there too. Ill work with him with some of that training. But if he needs to be put down what kind of signs would i look for when working with him? Im also going to have to board him for 2 weeks while I go out of town on the 9th.

My problem is I agree with what everyone says. :/

Matthew

·
Registered
226 Posts
i HAVE TO AGREE WITH BAHA ON THIS ONE. EXCITEMENT IS ONE THING BUT TO REDIRECT IS ANOTHER. HIS BEHAIVORS SHOULD BE DELT WITH NOW BEFORE HE THINKS HES RUNNIN THE SHOW AND IT GOES TO FAR. JMO!

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
If you're going to work with him, get professional help. Find a behaviorist. Get excited over fireworks: normal. Getting worked up around other dogs: normal for a Pit Bull. Both of those would be something that could be desensitized away. However, if he thinks that biting is an answer to a high-stress situation, you've to think that one day he might decide to bite you because he wants to go back to the other dog. So it's something that could get worse.

I don't like telling people to kill their dogs, because I know full well what that feels like. But at this point, it is one option. The other option is to get a trainer, get a behaviorist. Work closely with people who can help you more than we can on the other side of a screen. Also get him a full vet work-up just to make sure there aren't any underlying health problems making him uncomfortable. Keep in the back of your mind that you may have to have him put down anyway if it isn't something that can be solved. Of course, you could still keep him even in that case, but you'd be carefully controlling his environment for the rest of his life, and that's not easy.

I wish you luck. Hopefully this can be corrected.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
If you're going to work with him, get professional help. Find a behaviorist. Get excited over fireworks: normal. Getting worked up around other dogs: normal for a Pit Bull. Both of those would be something that could be desensitized away. However, if he thinks that biting is an answer to a high-stress situation, you've to think that one day he might decide to bite you because he wants to go back to the other dog. So it's something that could get worse.

I don't like telling people to kill their dogs, because I know full well what that feels like. But at this point, it is one option. The other option is to get a trainer, get a behaviorist. Work closely with people who can help you more than we can on the other side of a screen. Also get him a full vet work-up just to make sure there aren't any underlying health problems making him uncomfortable. Keep in the back of your mind that you may have to have him put down anyway if it isn't something that can be solved. Of course, you could still keep him even in that case, but you'd be carefully controlling his environment for the rest of his life, and that's not easy.

I wish you luck. Hopefully this can be corrected.
:goodpost:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you SadieBlues, it was a very good post. Dang..
I may lean to the putting down. I wont be able to control his environment and there's to many people around he could possibly harm. I cant work with someone with him in the near future. Dang..

Thank you all for your input.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts