Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have anew American Bully puppy he is about 11wks old and he weighs 14lbs. His father is about 75-85pounds and moms is about 55-65 and I wanted to know is this an ok weight for him at his age? I just got him from the breeders Monday so I have nit had him long and wanted to get some advice from you all. He said he demormed him and he does not have a pop belly and never eats all his food just picks at it. So any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again,

BIG BLUE

·
Super Moderator
4,653 Posts
They'll want to see pictures to tell you if he's fat. Most puppies aren't really "fat" from my experience. If he doesn't have a pot belly and he's eating normal amounts he should be a normal weight. :)

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
How do I post pix
Upload to photobucket and copy the IMG code into this thread to post. Yes, I would like to see a pic of your pup as every pup is different. If you just got the puppy you need to get him to a vet for a well check even if the breeder dewormed him because he needs to start getting his shots etc. and they will get an accurate weight on him and check for worms etc etc.

What are you feeding your pup???

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
What's FREE FEEDING?
Free feeding

Putting food down in a bowl and just leaving it down all the time. You should feed at a certain time and give about 15 min to eat. If he doesn't eat pick it back up until next time. I feed twice a day during the winter and once a day at night during summers. If my dog doesn't eat then he missed his chance and he has to wait until next time. Click the free feeding link above. Also, you may want to have your vet check him out if you are concerned, but a healthy dog will eat when he is hungry.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok cool will do. But yes he is fed 2x a day and ill pick the bowl up but not sure what the wifie does inbthe morning lol so ill ask her

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
he looks fine IMO... i wouldnt worry so much while hes this little.... just like lauren said dont free feed.. :)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I don't even give my dogs 15 minutes to eat. If they don't have their bowls polished by a minute, they must be deathly ill. LOL! They get one chance to eat, then I dump it back in the bag. I always pick up the bowls afterward. I've had dogs come to stay with me who were pickers, and they learned to eat when fed rather rapidly using that method. Its helpful to have a dog that eats right away for several reasons. One, you don't have the food laying around attracting critters. Two, you don't have to worry about food-aggression between multiple dogs. Three, its great when traveling when you can't just leave the food out. Just IMO good policy to have a dog that eats when fed. :)

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
I don't even give my dogs 15 minutes to eat. If they don't have their bowls polished by a minute, they must be deathly ill. LOL! They get one chance to eat, then I dump it back in the bag. I always pick up the bowls afterward. I've had dogs come to stay with me who were pickers, and they learned to eat when fed rather rapidly using that method. Its helpful to have a dog that eats right away for several reasons. One, you don't have the food laying around attracting critters. Two, you don't have to worry about food-aggression between multiple dogs. Three, its great when traveling when you can't just leave the food out. Just IMO good policy to have a dog that eats when fed. :)
lol Lindsay I only give Kangol 5 and he is done in 4 minutes. Some people think that's not enough time, but like you said if it isn't eaten something is seriously wrong.

·
Registered
859 Posts
OMG my dog used to finish her bowl in literally two minutes! Ashes my gosh she would take an hour if I'd let her!! She literally chews like a human being! She takes soooo many bites on anything she eats! I had it with her and I started to take the bowl away after 7 minutes lol let's say she learned to eat a lot faster! But sadly my 14 year old girl and 5 year old cocker still eat faster than her lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts