Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is an (almost)10 month old female, 62 pounds, and in great physical condition. She has absurd amounts of energy, even for a pit. I know that some people use weight vests to help their dogs exercise. Do any of you do that? Couldn't that lower their coordination, just like it does to humans? Does it really work that well as a form of exercise?

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Your puppy is not mature enough to even be doing intense exercising. If you use a weighted vest it will mess with her joint/muscle/ligament/bone growth.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly what I was thinking, thank you for the reinforcement. I really just needed to be sure because I have no experience with them so I wasn't 100% sure. She was with me at the park today walking the trails for 2.5 hours, for more enjoyable for both of us.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,362 Posts
when your dog is a year and a half then is the BEST time to work your dog with weight of any sort, drags.. etc.. ... There are weighted harnesses .. there are trail packs you can put weight in... when your dog is a year at least. Most strains of bulldog aren't done growing til' they're 2. So .. 1.5 yrs is the ideal time to start the dogs as you want all their bones and joints, muslces and nerves be fully developed before anything can disrupt the growth cycle. ;) Yes hand walking , jogging, and fetch games are IDEAL.. some tug of war is great too! Great Question. Keep on Bulldoggin'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts