Go Pitbull Forums banner

Well that will be our last walk around the neighborhood...

3K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  bluefamily 
#1 ·
I just moved in to this neighborhood on monday and every night I take Harlow out on a walk around the neighborhood. Well today as we were coming around a corner a HUGE bully with no collar on appeared and attacked Harlow. Seeing as how there was not a soul to be found in my rather active neighborhood to help me and Harlow is still small and I can still pick him up (hardly) I pretty much choked my dog out trying to pick him up and get the HUGE bully to back off, poor Harlow screaming the entire time. This bully had to be around 100 lbs. I had to kick him in the head and chest a couple of times. I held Harlow against my chest, kicking my feet out in front of me. Soon as he started to back up a little I started stomping my feet and yelling "BACK OFF" kicking out in front of me. My neighbor had come out of his garage by then and was just watching the whole thing.
I feel very lucky not to have been bitten by this dog. Harlow wasn`t so lucky, he has a puncture in his chest. He`s all cleaned up now and better, but it was a quick and scary confrontation.

#2 ·
did you ask the neighbor who's dog it is?? i would ask around to see whose it is... if no one takes responisiblity then call ac... poor harlow :(

#4 ·
That is terrible! Poor Harlow! I hope he is okay...did he have to go to the vet and get stitches? Where did the dog run off to??? I would call animal control and file a complaint for sure. I would invest in a can of mace, pepper spray, or something. I am carrying something with me because of that. Either getting attacked by a person or a dog it's good defense for yourself!

#5 ·
if you saw it loose again id call ac.... too dangerous for them to just be running loose

#6 ·
I would definitely call animal control if I were you! Your nice daily walks as a responsible owner shouldn't be interrupted because of someone else's loose/aggressive dog! Your good ownership of your dog shouldn't suffer because of someone else's stupidity, IMO.

Reactions: dmcfall13
#7 ·
A www that just horrible! I hope you find out if the dog is safe soon so he will not attack anything else. So scary! I am glad your pup is safe with you..

#9 ·
Very sad to see a story like this. I hope Harlow is OK. It's a shame that now a dog might possibly get put down because someone can't be bothered to contain it properly. You'd be well within your rights to call AC, IMO.

#10 ·
I found his owner via a lost dog ad on craigslist. He said that his ex had opened the gate and let his dogs out while he was at work out of spite. He lives across my neighborhood about 6 streets over. The owner found his dog still in my neighborhood, came by to see Harlow, apologized profusely and offered to pay for him to go to the vet. The two punctures I found on Low, his face and his chest, aren`t deep, they don`t need stitches. They don`t seem to bother him at all. I shaved down the areas where he was punctured and applied some antibiotic cream and bandages.
Thanks guys, he will be just fine [=

#11 ·
atleast he owned up to the dog and came to check on harlow!!! :) mayb he should consider locking his gate!

#13 ·
awww poor harlow, i am glad the dude owned up for his dog i would be cool if he offered to pay then I’d offer to beat the crap outta his GF for her irresponsibility in endangering BOTH dogs!!! Glad to hear everything worked out well though

#16 ·
He needs to kick his lady to the curb and bring his dogs inside ;)

Glad Harlow will be okay. There are so many loose dogs in my neighborhood I can't get 2 blocks without some sort of drama. I was walking Loki a while back and a boxer that looked like she had a serious case of demo, skin allergies, or both came running up and I had to grab Loki and shoo her away at the same time. I've also seen people playing fetch in the middle of the street with their labs while I was out running and they have no containment whatsoever. It's a lab so it must be harmless, right? Grrrr!

Glad he ended up being a decent guy, except for the lady drama of course.

#18 ·
Glad everything worked out, finally a story where at least the owner came forward and did the right thing, hopefully this was a 1 time mistake for him and he learned a lesson, glad harlow is ok and you :)

#20 ·
It is good to see this story had a positive ending. Glad to hear that your dog will be ok and that the other owner found his dog and was responsible. You sure don't hear about that happening every day! It is scary to walk around my neighborhood too, I haven't seen any loose big dogs while out walking, but dogs that looked like they could jump the fence if they wanted too and little ankle biters. That I thank god that my girl won't eat those little yappers! lol

#24 ·
Poor Harlow,, Its good that his owner was found VIA craigslist by you and so you even got good ethical behavior out of him.. I have a friend whose wife and mother done that with an APBT he paid alot of money for .. BUT THEY GAVE IT AWAY SAID IT GOT OUT AND my buddy and I REPORTED IT STOLEN.. hahaha thats how we found out those ladies gave the dog away.. His wife has let out probably 4 dogs total 3 from me including a 28lb wombat that wouldnt hurt anyone raised with my kids but she dispises anything he likes ... pathetic..

Im really happy the owner turned up and acted accountable.. I really happy for you that your dog is not hurt.. bite would punctures are nothing to these dogs. SLices are more of a reason to loose your cool..

Dont stop walking your dog, just a get a break stick and next time let the dogs go... put the leash on the other dog CM style slip looped and CHOKE that dog out! When by yourself always control the power or the aggressor sometimes they are the same dog either way subdue the threat.. APBTs are made to roll and our actions cause them injury more than their own..

GOod LUCK! and KUDOS to contacting the owner and get it all cleared up.. :clap:

#25 ·
For real don't stop walking Harlow...get back up on the horse! Glad to see the owner doing the responsible thing about his dog. The letting the dog out of the yard action the girlfriend did would be grounds for divorce in our house!
Am so glad HArlow is going to be ok and the owner of the bully was appropriate too. M Sorry the education for the guy came at such a price. I would definately have some mace or a break stick on me for future walks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.