Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I havent been on here after we took bailey in for her spay , I didnt want to post this because im sure some things are going to be said that are gonna hurt but oh well .

She was fine after her spay but the next day I saw blood and I called them(they was doing the last dogs at the clinic) and they told me to get her there asap (we live over an hour away) so we did and the vet came out to talk to me she said she ripped her stitches out which caused the blood , so she had to have surgery AGAIN , that was on the 27th , she can have a bath tomarrow but has to leash walk until the 9th . She is very hyper so keeping her still is HARD !!!

She has been on crate rest but i take her out every two hours and as soon as she done she comes back in , she cant be loose in the house because couches,beds,stairs etc . So the stitches should disolve in a few more days and im just glad shes okay , ANDD I was worried about her being aggressive to them right ? NOPE she went right with the woman and didnt even care but I did cry when I had to leave her , She wont wear her cone but she dosent bother the incision so its fine anyways !

MY question is , can being in a crate for that long(10 days) make a dog aggressive ? I always heard that , especially if they are on a chain ? Im sure its false but just dont want to take any chances ... All in all spay was the best thing to do and im glad its over ! :woof:

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
what do you mean she wont wear the cone? many dont like it but if its on properly there isnt much they can do. And no they dont become aggressive if crate rested for 10 days , they do get bored so offering chew toys, bones, stuffed kongs ect will help keep her busy and distracted from the cone and crate.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean she wont wear the cone? many dont like it but if its on properly there isnt much they can do. And no they dont become aggressive if crate rested for 10 days , they do get bored so offering chew toys, bones, stuffed kongs ect will help keep her busy and distracted from the cone and crate.
She has toys and stuff in there already but just wondering cause thats what I had heard . And when I put it on all she does is try and get it off , which she cant but she freaks out so they said it would make her stressed and as long as she dosent bother her incision shes fine , and she dosent she hasnt even licked it before .

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
Oh no, poor Bailey, and poor you for having to go through that!
10 days is not that big of a deal as far as that goes...
I had to do the same thing with Keira-- the 10 days of crate rest, and she didn't get aggressive. But do offer her chews and such to keep her occupied!

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
I havent been on here after we took bailey in for her spay , I didnt want to post this because im sure some things are going to be said that are gonna hurt but oh well .

She was fine after her spay but the next day I saw blood and I called them(they was doing the last dogs at the clinic) and they told me to get her there asap (we live over an hour away) so we did and the vet came out to talk to me she said she ripped her stitches out which caused the blood , so she had to have surgery AGAIN , that was on the 27th , she can have a bath tomarrow but has to leash walk until the 9th . She is very hyper so keeping her still is HARD !!!

She has been on crate rest but i take her out every two hours and as soon as she done she comes back in , she cant be loose in the house because couches,beds,stairs etc . So the stitches should disolve in a few more days and im just glad shes okay , ANDD I was worried about her being aggressive to them right ? NOPE she went right with the woman and didnt even care but I did cry when I had to leave her , She wont wear her cone but she dosent bother the incision so its fine anyways !

MY question is , can being in a crate for that long(10 days) make a dog aggressive ? I always heard that , especially if they are on a chain ? Im sure its false but just dont want to take any chances ... All in all spay was the best thing to do and im glad its over ! :woof:
no. you have to be strict with crate rest. i think the chain thing is a load of :poop: we used to teather up our dogs all the time when i was a kid because we had dogs run away none of our dogs turned out aggressive they spent about 8 hours on that tether give or take a half an hour. now if the dogs getting teased while its on the chain its bound to want to get them when it gets off.

we did have a dog that didnt like to be tethered he pulled a utility trailer he was tied to 20 feet then jumped through the window which was closed at the time. we got home to see him laying on the kitchen table still teathered to the trailer with glass every where.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no. you have to be strict with crate rest. i think the chain thing is a load of :poop: we used to teather up our dogs all the time when i was a kid because we had dogs run away none of our dogs turned out aggressive they spent about 8 hours on that tether give or take a half an hour. now if the dogs getting teased while its on the chain its bound to want to get them when it gets off.

we did have a dog that didnt like to be tethered he pulled a utility trailer he was tied to 20 feet then jumped through the window which was closed at the time. we got home to see him laying on the kitchen table still teathered to the trailer with glass every where.
I am but its pretty hard cause shes full of non stop energy , but anyways yeah I dont think the chain would make them aggresive,they have dogs on them all the time ,which could be the problem cause they dont get walks , attention,etc . Haha wow thats one impressive dog !

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
There are times you will be asleep or out where it gives the dog unsupervised time to lick at her incision. Buy a soft cone and use it..fill her kong with plain yogurt, wrap it in cling wrap and freeze it then allow the dog to have at it. There should have been no need for the dog to go back because she ripped her stitches..it happens..but You seem (sorry to sound rude) rather clueless about anything dog related and excuse me for that..I just had to put down a dog due to heart failure so I am a little on edge.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh no, poor Bailey, and poor you for having to go through that!
10 days is not that big of a deal as far as that goes...
I had to do the same thing with Keira-- the 10 days of crate rest, and she didn't get aggressive. But do offer her chews and such to keep her occupied!
Okay I am but I gave her a whole ham bone and it was gone before dark , she eats all her chews so fast so im trying to find some that will last a while . Oh and I had her collar on her while she was in there,she ate it off somehow , never seen anything like it but she didnt swallow any, and she nibbled on her rabies tag a little , shes a funny/weird dog . :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are times you will be asleep or out where it gives the dog unsupervised time to lick at her incision. Buy a soft cone and use it..fill her kong with plain yogurt, wrap it in cling wrap and freeze it then allow the dog to have at it. There should have been no need for the dog to go back because she ripped her stitches..it happens..but You seem (sorry to sound rude) rather clueless about anything dog related and excuse me for that..I just had to put down a dog due to heart failure so I am a little on edge.
Okay well she dosent lick it and its okay what you think I posted this knowing people would sound rude but oh well i honestly dont care , I have had dogs all my life . She ripped a stitch because the vet said it was likely that there was blood/water under the stitcha nd when she stretched out it gave an opening for the blood to come out

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
Okay I am but I gave her a whole ham bone and it was gone before dark , she eats all her chews so fast so im trying to find some that will last a while . Oh and I had her collar on her while she was in there,she ate it off somehow , never seen anything like it but she didnt swallow any, and she nibbled on her rabies tag a little , shes a funny/weird dog . :)
Sounds like my GSD... if I don't give him GIANT bones to chew, they are gone in a blink. His Kong (5th one!!) usually lasts about 2 weeks... but them it's gone too, lol. Keira is still on her 1st Kong, but Caesar is crazy about chewing things. He doesn't go after anything he isn't given, but once he's got it, it's gone! :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have had dogs all my life and know everything on how to care for them but no some things i dont know , I followed what the vet told me and shes fine now ? The vet said with larger dogs it happens sometimes and sorry you had to put your dog down ,I have been through that and know how it feels but honestly I cant help it if she ripped the stitches , the important thing is we took her back and they fixed it .

Reactions: MamaTank

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting.......You have owned dogs your whole life yet have no real knowledge about anything pertaining them. I think I am done here..I wish your dog luck.
why do you say I have no knowledge on them ? She ripped 2 stitches ?Andd we got them fixed ? If you dont like what I post then dont worry about it , and if you dont believe me on the stitch thing call my vet , gah i dont see the problem my dog got the care she needed and is fine now ?!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like my GSD... if I don't give him GIANT bones to chew, they are gone in a blink. His Kong (5th one!!) usually lasts about 2 weeks... but them it's gone too, lol. Keira is still on her 1st Kong, but Caesar is crazy about chewing things. He doesn't go after anything he isn't given, but once he's got it, it's gone! :D
yes she eats them like crazy ! That sounds just like her haha
:)

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
I am but its pretty hard cause shes full of non stop energy , but anyways yeah I dont think the chain would make them aggresive,they have dogs on them all the time ,which could be the problem cause they dont get walks , attention,etc . Haha wow thats one impressive dog !
he was a Saint Bernard my mom found on the street one of the best dogs we ever had.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
he was a Saint Bernard my mom found on the street one of the best dogs we ever had.
I had a goat like that lol he jumped through a barn window , not sure how but yeah and my other goat would try to get in the house , but I havent had any dogs do stuff like that .

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I fostered a dog that would jump out of windows if we opened them... she took out quite a few screens doing that!
ha gosh I woulnt know what to do if my dog was like that , i think she would drive me crazy . Baileys pretty laid back she just loves to play and only one of my dogs plays with her but obviously she cant right now but i feel bad for her being in that crate all night and most of the day because of this .

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
My dog goes through bones fast too, so I started buying her antlers. She loves them and they last forever.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts