Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend my son and his dog River and I and Vendetta partook in a tracking class. We went to a seminar last year and had fun. I was doing well with her and then the snow came. I got out a couple of times this summer but the weather was yucky most of the time. We have had lots of rain this month and April... well lets just say snow was common.

The class was held at the new training club we are joining in Pequot Lakes. It is an 1 1/2hrs from home but the people are nice. Vendetta was the only pit bull and I have to say she did good. She was spot on on all her tracks she doesnt pick the articles up but she does stop and looks at you. I am working on getting her to sit when she finds one. The instructor told me numerous times that she was doing great and would be ready to test soon. I hope to do this with her need to find a club that has open class.

The only issue I had with her was when Roger was putting on these legs sort of looked like chaps but went completely around his leg and fastened to his belt. He shook them out in front of her and she barked at him. Then he didnt it again to her and said "Boy she doesnt like that does she". She was fine once he had them on. She also didnt really like his lab. I think it reminded her of Mari-sol. She didnt lung or growl just watched him once I would distract her she would leave him alone until we moved to a new field then I had to re direct her again.

It was good for both of us.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Sounds like a good time good to see ya around! My aunt lives up there are you familiar with menaguah? im sure i butchered the sp. but thats how it sounds (i think) LOL

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was alot of fun. I have a friend that lives in Menahga. I also plan on taken my new pup over to Lucky Dog Training in Detriot Lakes which isnt that far away from Menagha. I hope to go to the open agility fun show in Menagha this year.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ive been there twice but i was like 3 the first time and maybee 9 the second.I dont remember much but my aunt has a huge farm,and there was lakes everywhere lol.She is actually looking to sell and move up here to B.C. which would be awesome.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hahaha that is Minnesota lakes everywhere. It is so beautiful around here I dont know why anyone would want to live someplace else. That would be nice for you if your aunt moved out there I wish her luck in selling. Not much in Menagha but then really there isnt much in any of these small towns.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
It sounds like you had a fun time.How do you train for that sort of thing?I've always wondered how people get a dog to track something.
You should take pics next time to share with us.:)

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to take pictures but it was heavy rain all day saturday and sunday I didnt take the camera cause it looked like more of the same weather.

Tracking is fun it is building on what a dog already does and that is to sniff out smells. I have been to two different seminars now and each taught a different way. This person really likes to use food to get the dog started. We lay out a straight track about 50-60yards. You place an article like a sock or a bandana on the ground with a piece of treat on it she used microwaved hot dog. (note these are very tiny pieces you are going to wean the dog off of treats). then you walk the track placing articles and food along the way. When your dog finds an article you praise like crazy and then tell them to find another. The food on the track keeps them going in th eright direction.
That is the start of tracking. Once you get that down you start adding to the track making it longer and having turns. It is alot of fun.

I think I will offer a tracking class in the fall so I can find some more people to track with it is easier to have more people doing it so you have different track layers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts