Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just mentioned in another thread that I'd asked this question. I did so elsewhere, and didn't really get a clear answer. I figured maybe someone here might be enlightened enough to be able to shed some light on this. Bear with me. It's kinda long.

Part 1

I am only familiar with APBTs. I do not know AmBullies well at all. In the APBT world, we tell people to look for a breeder who:

• titles (CH, ACE, UCD, SchH etc) and health-tests (OFA, Pennhip)
  • does not breed more than 1-2 litters a year
  • places puppies on contract with a health guarantee
  • requires spay/neuter on the pet-quality puppies
  • does not breed for color
  • breeds when they want something, not to sell pups
  • breeds from legitimately registered dogs (no CKC, etc.)
  • breeds to the UKC or ADBA breed standards
  • takes back any dog they've produced for the life of the dog

There are other factors, but if you put all that I mentioned together, chances are you've got a pretty damn good breeder of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

So question from part 1: How do you establish a reputable AmBully breeder? I am not asking about breeders whose dogs are fed and cared for, and whose yards get scooped. That, IMO, is a minimum standard for being an owner, much less a breeder. I want to know what the criteria are that a potential owner should look for if they want to avoid BYBs and get a dog from a serious, reputable AmBully breeder. What are the measuring sticks used to separate the men from the boys, the wheat from the chaff?

Part 2

As mentioned in the list of criteria for an APBT breeder, they shouldn't let pet-quality pups go out intact to possibly be bred later. In AmBullies, how do you pick a show- or breeding-quality dog? What are the faults that should eliminate a dog from the gene pool? What does a well-bred, breeding- or show-quality AmBully look like, and what sets them aside from the pet-quality dogs?

Thanks for indulging me.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Personally.

I use much of the same criteria as looking for a good APBT breeder. I like to see someone that not only cares for his dogs, but also DOES SOMETHING with his dogs. ABKC Conformation or if the AmBully is phsycially able to weight pull.
Also someone who genuinely seeks to better the breed, AmBully's are notorious for being walking (or Waddling haha) vet bills. So someone who looks to correct the extreme deformaties while still keeping the AmBully look clean.
I like to see people who keep pups off their breedings, shows it was done for some purpose other than money.

I think show qualty vs pet quality for these dogs is sort of left up to breeders taste. The ABKC's conformation standard is still pretty lax.
Unfortunatly the list of things to watch out for is longer than the list TO look for. Like personally I would avoid breeders that peddle dogs as their own bloodline (LIke Ironcross Kennels for example sells 'Ironcross Bloodline' dogs). Also warey or 'Rare Blue' (or any RARE color) or 'Extreme XXL'. Also anyone that charges up the butt for their dogs. Personally I wouldn't pay for than a Grand for a dog PERIOD. APBT or AmBully.

Contrary to popular belief there are a few good AmBully breeders out there who do it for the love of the breed, and to further its creation as opposed to just for money.

·
Registered
378 Posts
what i look for in a bully breder is someone who breeds for the love of the breed and not for money. to many "so called" bully breeders breed for money and money only i would not purchase a dog from these individuals no matter what! many "so called" bully breeders breed for faults & call the dogs freaks & if thats not bad enough, other "so called" breeders will praise them for it.

when i think of a bully or what a bully should look like i think of pratt pits King Kamali. 100% RE, he is about 18.5" & about 80 pounds quite impressive, he is the total package imo. the problem i see with defining a bully is there is no true standard. within the bully breed you have pocket pits that are 16" then you have xxl that are 24" how can this be the same breed? like beauty it resides in the eye of the beholder.

bredlam - you are right the prices these people charge are sooo rediculous.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good feedback so far. Keep it coming!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I would be curious to know if any health testing ofa/pennhip is commonly done on this breed? I have never seen it advertised by any of the bully breeder's I have come in contact with. I personally like an ambully that is bred close to todays amstaff standards . I have seen a few breeder's offer a health gaurentee but what exactly does this mean if the ofa/pennhipp testing is not done? I have yet to see a bully breeder that is not charging 800+ for a dog.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Interesting to see this has been the only bully breeder I have seen involved in the ofa/pennhipp testing kudos to them for that.

I noticed something here when looking at these studs

Ruckus Kennels - Studs

Notice how some have been cleared of hips,elbows,cardiac, patelles, ect yet other's have only been clear of of cardiac? And not all have been tested yet they are available for stud?

I personally would be leary of that if your breeding the bare minimum testing ofa/pennhipp should be done and sucessfully passed of the dam and sire IMO. What do you guys think? I went through their website and not all the dogs have passed the minimum testing so you have some that have passed and are being bred with some that have not had that testing done. IMO that's a no no and your not breeding for consistency by doing it that way

·
Registered
910 Posts
Interesting to see this has been the only bully breeder I have seen involved in the ofa/pennhipp testing kudos to them for that.

I noticed something here when looking at this breeding

Ruckus Kennels - Studs

Notice how the dam has been cleared of hips,elbows,cardiac, patelles, ect yet the sire has only been clear of of cardiac?

I personally would be leary of that if your breeding the bare minimum testing ofa/pennhipp should be done and sucessfully passed of the dam and sire IMO. What do you guys think? I went through their website and not all the dogs have passed the minimum testing so you have some that have passed and are being bred with some that have not had that testing done. IMO that's a no no.
I agree 100%, whats the point of testing the one that passed em all if your just gonna breed it with a dog that does have problems, then your pups are 50/50 on being unhealthy as they grow up. Seems kinda pointless to test in the first place.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I would be curious to know if any health testing ofa/pennhip is commonly done on this breed? I have never seen it advertised by any of the bully breeder's I have come in contact with. I personally like an ambully that is bred close to todays amstaff standards . I have seen a few breeder's offer a health gaurentee but what exactly does this mean if the ofa/pennhipp testing is not done? I have yet to see a bully breeder that is not charging 800+ for a dog.
I mentioned that in my post on Game and Bully. I like to see it done but not a whole lot of kennels do it.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
I just wanted to share what i look for in Ambully since we have already discussed breeders.

I personally like an Ambully that is medium height. Though I like the xxl Bullies when they are proportional abd are around 80lbs(looks good on a dog that size). Bluebulls Diesel is a good example of what I am talking about.

I don't like short Bullies no matter how conditioned they are JMO. Never seen one in person, but it seems like it would be too weird. As for the mid heght bullies they are my ideal dog. They have to have a decent head piece and be well proportioned. I like deep chests, but not to overdone. No bowed legs, those just look painful! I would also like for the dog to be in shhape, but not skinny or too conditioned to where it has a deep tuck. When the dogs are built like this it kinda seems like thats defeating the purpose of a bullie IMO. If you want a dog buil like that then you should have an APBT, no offense...

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I would say a good am bully breeder produces dogs that are bred for something other than exaggerated aesthetic,works with reputable organizations and obtains legitimate titles.
Dogs that are bred naturally and not through c-section,dogs that functional ability is just as important as color and girth,a breeder that advertises the dogs as what they are[not ultimate apbt].Dogs that are bred honestly and if they are a f-1 out cross breeders admit it or get out of the business.
I personally think that these dogs would have much more respect if they were to obtain some sort of working title,and when i say that i mean other than obedience or agility[clearly agility isn't there strong suit,[lol],even if they are not too obtain a title at least make sure they are capable if owner so desires,I'm well known for my issues with the type yet i love blue bulls diesel,reason why is this,that dog is big functional and capable of performing a variety of tasks,hes honest about his dogs linage and will talk openly and honestly about it.
Personally if the goal of this type[i wont call this a breed unless I'm paid] is just to create a exaggerated bulldog with a exotic color i don't see the point in it.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very interesting stuff so far. I have noticed a bit of "I personally like" with regard to physical styles. I guess that's acceptable considering that there really isn't a standard for the AmBully yet. I wonder if one will ever be accepted by the majority of AmBully breeders.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Unless the standard incorperates 13' tall dos with 24' heads I dougt that most bully owners will take to it. Most will say F it and keep breeding what THEY like, but few will begin to breed their dogs accordingly to meet the standard.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Personally i believe a standard is most effective when it is rudimentary in nature,in other words small and easily adhered to.
A massive standard,or a extremely rigid standard commonly ruins breeds because its easily left up to many individuals interpretations,since there is many more ways than one to take any group of "written" words and make your own interpretation and shape your own definitions of a long winded standard to fit your own personal agenda,but in this case,funny enough,it could do nothing but help the type,it needs all the rules and regulations it can get,jmo!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts