Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marley was born with extra toes on both of his back legs. Their like due claws but their only attached by skin there is no bone in them. I've grown up with dogs all my life and I've never seen this before. He was also the only pup in the litter that had them. Why does this happen, is it common in other breeds. Marley is not even close to full blooded his mom was half APBT, so is it form another breed he's mixed with? Does any one else have a dog with freak toes?

Here's a few pics

·
Medal polisher for kg420
3,056 Posts
Kg I think all dogs have those lmaoooo or no?

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK I always thought he was a freak, none of my other dogs had due claws in back.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Crazy, the Bauceron's standard calls for all dogs to have back leg dew claws as well. Maybe you got some Bauceron in the mix way back =)

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
yea all dogs have that 5th nail some or just higher up than others correct?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Dew claws in the rear of the APBT are not normal. Now you might get it showing up once in a blue moon if the dogs are true APBT's but it would be considered a birth defect. Now many other breeds have rear dew claws and this is normal for them. Like great Pyrenees have rear dew claws and that is part of the breed. So the fact that your boy is mixed explains that some where in his family tree he had a breed that had rear dew claws.

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
I had a lab shepard mix that had those rapture toes. lol! he ended up getting his removed tho because it snagged on something and tore. I came home from school to find out my dog was at the vets. =/
BUT, he lived about 5 years with them and a good 5 more without them.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Dew claws in the rear of the APBT are not normal. Now you might get it showing up once in a blue moon if the dogs are true APBT's but it would be considered a birth defect. Now many other breeds have rear dew claws and this is normal for them. Like great Pyrenees have rear dew claws and that is part of the breed. So the fact that your boy is mixed explains that some where in his family tree he had a breed that had rear dew claws.
interesting, Lola has the dew claws.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow that would freak me out if I saw him rip one. He's 9 almost 10 and has never had a problem so I never got them taken off. His mom was Pit x Sharpei, and the dad was a Queensland x Rott mix are any of those usually born with back due claws?

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
lol i must have got all kinds of confused.. yea she doesn't have them in the back.

i thought we was talking front feet the whole time.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol i must have got all kinds of confused.. yea she doesn't have them in the back.

i thought we was talking front feet the whole time.
Yea Marley's a bit of a freak his front feet look normal here's the front feet

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
my sis has a pit/boxer mix that has those on her back feet as well.And she just had puppies :)hammer: I know) and some of them have 2 extra toes on their back feet.Altogether they have 6 toes on their feet instead of 4.They look really freaky and deformed.I'll have to see if I can get pics to show you.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my sis has a pit/boxer mix that has those on her back feet as well.And she just had puppies :)hammer: I know) and some of them have 2 extra toes on their back feet.Altogether they have 6 toes on their feet instead of 4.They look really freaky and deformed.I'll have to see if I can get pics to show you.
Wow that's kinda wierd.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rotty's have the back dew claw
That must be where he gets it from, all his litter mates were the black and tan rott colors, he was the only tan and white one. I love my little freak dog he's one in a million.

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
usually pple have them removed as a puppy. they tend to get caught on stuff and rip open.
but you said you havent had any problems and personally i wouldnt want to put a 10 yr old dog under anesthesia unless it was an emergency.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
usually pple have them removed as a puppy. they tend to get caught on stuff and rip open.
but you said you havent had any problems and personally i wouldnt want to put a 10 yr old dog under anesthesia unless it was an emergency.
Yea I always wondered why they docked his tail and not the claws. He's too old for a removal it would break my heart if something happened to him.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts