Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in alot of discussions people mention "bully breeds".

Which specific breeds are included in that?

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
To me a "bully" breed is just that, any breed of dog that has bulldog or mastiff of some sort, when I started my club a few years ago I called a Bully Breed Group, the shirts I had made up had a pic of a Mastiff, a Dobe, A Rott, an APBT, An American Bully, a English Bulldog, and I beleive a Bull Terrier, all of these dogs are bully breeds to me, it could also include the Fila, the Preso Canario, the Dogo, and a few more I can't think of right now, lol. But this is JMO, please remember that :D lol

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol yeaa, this is just for my curiosity anyway. I was wondering if the doberman and rottweiler were included in that too. :) as well as boxers, cane corso, amstaff?? to me, they all have that "look" lol

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
American bulldogs, cane corsos, and staffies are all "bully breeds" too :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm glad this was posted.

:)

I guess that makes Annie a Bully!

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
lol see I knew I was forgetting some of them, lol. Thanks ladies, but yes this is what I think of as a Bully breed, lol. Plus the other breeds named :D

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
i always considered anything with bull in the name , mastiffs , american bulldog, bullys, eng bull ect I never considered rotts or dobes or boxers in there though , canes yes, dogos yes, I dunno just my opinion of how i thought it was.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
I honestly don't know, but I would assume it depends on the person, but I hope someone else will come along and say something, lol

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Is there even a real answer? lol or does it vary from person to person?
No it would be opinion. There is no set standard to what constitutes a bully bred. I consider it dogs that stem from our old Bulldogs.APBT, Amstaff, American Bulldogs, OE Bulldogs, Olde Bulldogs, Alpha Blue Blooded, most ect. I include boxers, but not Rotts or Dobies. Like I said tho its all opinion.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
No it would be opinion. There is no set standard to what constitutes a bully bred. I consider it dogs that stem from our old Bulldogs.APBT, Amstaff, American Bulldogs, OE Bulldogs, Olde Bulldogs, Alpha Blue Blooded, most ect. I include boxers, but not Rotts or Dobies. Like I said tho its all opinion.
:goodpost:
Sounds perfect right there. I wouldn't consider Rotts or Dobies a bully breed either. You put it perfectly they all come from the old world bulldogs ;)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
:goodpost:that's pretty much where my opinion is too

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Yep Holly hit the nail on the head those are the breeds I think of when someone say bully breeds. I do not ever think of Dobes or Rotties they are not bully to me they fall into the guard dog breeds which would include the German Shepherd too. JMO

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
this is cut and paste from the Bully Breed magazine,part of an article in it.

Standards of Strength
If you are having trouble keeping all the bully breeds straight, you aren't alone. Several breeds of dogs are commonly referred to as pit-bull types or bully breeds. Primarily, these are the American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT, also called a Pit Bull), the American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff), the Bull Terrier (BT), the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Miniature Bull Terrier and the American Bulldog. All six share common ancestors and some history. The interwoven breeds share names and characteristics so closely related that the uninitiated can be forgiven if they are a little confused.

For instance, neither the APBT nor the American Bulldog are recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC). The AKC does recognize dogs that are virtually identical to the APBT under the name of the American Staffordshire Terrier, which it changed from Staffordshire Terrier in 1972, to distinguish it from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier of England. This, of course, is not to be confused with the AKC-accepted Bull Terrier, which has a smaller spin-off, the Miniature Bull Terrier. American Pit Bull Terriers are recognized by the United Kennel Club (UKC), and AKC American Staffordshires can be double registered as UKC APBTs. But American Pit Bulls cannot be registered as AmStaffs. And finally, the American Dog Breeders Association (ADBA), established in 1910, registers only American Pit Bull Terriers under its own standard. ADBA dogs are sometimes dual-registered with the UKC but almost never with the AKC. Whew!

Why all the confusion? The answer is partly practical, partly political, because the development and recognition of pit-bull types have been inextricably bound to changing social norms and volatile public opinion since their inception.
end of article.

I don't fit the mastiff into the bulldog category,or for that matter the boxer,presa,cane corso etc.
bully,or bully type in my world is very narrow.
what they represent to me cannot be touched by these other dogs.many of which were/are agressor type dogs.with HA attributes or A pre-requisite or propensity to be sentry or security types.
bulldogs were and should always be distinctly left off that list.they are n ot geared for it,and for the most part by psyche,ill wquipped.
when you ask then to step into the agressive arena you are asking them to add a mental dimension that is all but unfamiliar to the breed type.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Rotts and Dobies Rule on their own! Woot to the Rotts and Dobies we still love ya'll!!! :D I am a Rott/Doberman fan so I have to show them some love.

My BYBing neighbor down the road has the cutest Rott puppies, that are getting older on her 16-18 wks and its taking everything I have to not go get one lmao. I want a Rotty so bad but I want to do SCH so I am trying to wait and get a well bred one lol.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't fit the mastiff into the bulldog category,or for that matter the boxer,presa,cane corso etc.
what they represent to me cannot be touched by these other dogs.many of which were/are agressor type dogs.with HA attributes or A pre-requisite or propensity to be sentry or security types.
bulldogs were and should always be distinctly left off that list.they are n ot geared for it,and for the most part by psyche,ill wquipped.
when you ask then to step into the agressive arena you are asking them to add a mental dimension that is all but unfamiliar to the breed type.
William, I see your point here, and I have to agree.

lol I love rotties, I think they're adorable even as adults, dobies...not so much lol I don't know their personalities (ive never really been around them) but I'm not a fan of their looks.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
William, I see your point here, and I have to agree.

lol I love rotties, I think they're adorable even as adults, dobies...not so much lol I don't know their personalities (ive never really been around them) but I'm not a fan of their looks.
not a fan of dobes,had plenty of friends or acquaintances with them,and I never felt anything but edginess or discomfort around them.
oh yeah,I'm not or have I ever been the worry or feared type for anything.to admit this speaks volumes.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
this is cut and paste from the Bully Breed magazine,part of an article in it.

Standards of Strength
If you are having trouble keeping all the bully breeds straight, you aren't alone. Several breeds of dogs are commonly referred to as pit-bull types or bully breeds. Primarily, these are the American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT, also called a Pit Bull), the American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff), the Bull Terrier (BT), the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Miniature Bull Terrier and the American Bulldog. All six share common ancestors and some history. The interwoven breeds share names and characteristics so closely related that the uninitiated can be forgiven if they are a little confused.

For instance, neither the APBT nor the American Bulldog are recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC). The AKC does recognize dogs that are virtually identical to the APBT under the name of the American Staffordshire Terrier, which it changed from Staffordshire Terrier in 1972, to distinguish it from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier of England. This, of course, is not to be confused with the AKC-accepted Bull Terrier, which has a smaller spin-off, the Miniature Bull Terrier. American Pit Bull Terriers are recognized by the United Kennel Club (UKC), and AKC American Staffordshires can be double registered as UKC APBTs. But American Pit Bulls cannot be registered as AmStaffs. And finally, the American Dog Breeders Association (ADBA), established in 1910, registers only American Pit Bull Terriers under its own standard. ADBA dogs are sometimes dual-registered with the UKC but almost never with the AKC. Whew!

Why all the confusion? The answer is partly practical, partly political, because the development and recognition of pit-bull types have been inextricably bound to changing social norms and volatile public opinion since their inception.
end of article.

:goodpost:

Dobies & Rotties I'm a fan of. My dad has a rottie - Bo, he has the goofiest personality. One of my neighbors from years ago had a dobie, sweetest & calmest dog ever. I think they have a great demeanor but they were also Germany's war dogs too from years ago...

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
My chi is Tri colored I don't see how a rottie or a dobie could have been crossed with a 6 pound dog :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts