Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok from what i heard ia dat pitbulls are friendly dogs who love people....my dog KING ia 6months i got him when he was 3 months in the house he is very friendly and playful....but outside he is scared of EVERYTHING!!!!! dont kno why..... im new to this dog stuff just need some advice maybe someone can help me out...i was thinkin maybe the person who had him was abusive or something i dunno...

·
Registered
471 Posts
What do you mean by scared what is he doing? running , barking, growling, running behind you and hiding?

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
ok from what i heard ia dat pitbulls are friendly dogs who love people....my dog KING ia 6months i got him when he was 3 months in the house he is very friendly and playful....but outside he is scared of EVERYTHING!!!!! dont kno why..... im new to this dog stuff just need some advice maybe someone can help me out...i was thinkin maybe the person who had him was abusive or something i dunno...
I got my girl at 4 months from a breeder and she missed alot of early socialization time which leaves a huge imprint on a puppy. She is afraid of alot as well but I signed her up for two OB classes a week to get her out of her shell. She is still shy but she has come out of her shell alot. Sounds like your pup is not being socialized enough.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
running behind me....running away sometimes when i tell him to sit.....he'll sit but then he''l jump up and try to run when someone is walking pass...sometimes when smaller dogs walk past he'll start barking and going crazy other days if a smaller dog barks he'll jump like he just seen the devil or something

·
Banned
314 Posts
If he were abused he would show it at all times, not just in one place.
If he is shy, nervous, and fearful, it is most likely hereditary...
There are two choices for you:
1. Get immediate help in training, which may help, but never fix it completley. This will cost you money. The APBT is to be totally without all of this, so,
2. You must ask yourself, "Do I want a dog like this when grown?" Do not allow yourself to feel sorry for the pup's faults. This pup is a perfect example of poor breeding. If this is your first APBT, why not get a well bred one that will give a true representation of the breed. What I'm meaning is, put it down. I would. I've had one like that, and it's bad...nothing but trouble comes from dogs like this. Why not get the real deal, and be free of any mental or physical health problems?

Just my opinion, but that's what I'd do, rather than give it back, and risk that poor example of the breed to breed other poor examples. If you start with a quality APBT, you'll never have to worry about getting ripped in the future, and you'll never be satisfied with less.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Socialize your dog , meaning not always with other dogs but new places , take him everywhere you can. Dont praise when he is showing fear or trying to hide , keep yourself calm in every situation if you get anxious when you see a situation comming up where you think he will act up he most likely will , more because of your energy and body language. he is just not sure about some of these situtations and his instinct is to run , setting up situations that set him up can help work through them such as if its bicycles that freak him out get a buddy to ride a bike by him repeatedly { but calmly and quiet } be patient and show him its nothing to fear. Since you dont have experience with this breed I would also suggest maybe getting him invovled in a puppy class for socializing and then find a good trainer who can work one on one with you and help with some of the individual needs your pup might need. Really this is just a stepping stone and depending how you handle this it can make things alot more easier in the future or it can escalade into something worse later on, fear can turn into aggression depending on the situations so this something to address now. If yuo post your location we can help find a trainer in your area, or talking to performance kennel she would be the one to talk with and probably has someone she can refer you too.

·
Registered
471 Posts
running behind me....running away sometimes when i tell him to sit.....he'll sit but then he''l jump up and try to run when someone is walking pass...sometimes when smaller dogs walk past he'll start barking and going crazy other days if a smaller dog barks he'll jump like he just seen the devil or something
Sounds alot like Izzo when I first got her .. 1st I want you too look at this ..

Developmental Stages

Looking into a good puppy socialization class never hurts .Understand your pup is in flight or fight stage right now and if you hold or try and make him feel better when he is acting like this it can and most likely will only make things worse.If he was owned by someone else before new things can be scary that he hasnt ever seen . Most puppies learn all these things when they are young , so it doesnt seem as bad when they are older , ya get where Im going with this . ? Is he hand shy ? this would be a good indicator if he has previously been abused.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I don't believe that Real APBT's belong in the hands of Novice owners. I do however feel that the dog needs socialization and a lot of training. Some pup's are just not confident and need to be worked with to build up that confidence. Ideally you want a pup who is out going confident and sure of itself from the beginning this is what I look for when choosing a pup. But not everyone gets that lucky or has the ability to pick out good qualities in such a young pup. The key to bringing getting your pup to where it needs to be is putting in a lot of time socializing in different situations with as many different people as possible. You also need to work on building up confidence try doing new activities daily with your pup and reward him when he's performed a job well done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Socialize your dog , meaning not always with other dogs but new places , take him everywhere you can. Dont praise when he is showing fear or trying to hide , keep yourself calm in every situation if you get anxious when you see a situation comming up where you think he will act up he most likely will , more because of your energy and body language. he is just not sure about some of these situtations and his instinct is to run , setting up situations that set him up can help work through them such as if its bicycles that freak him out get a buddy to ride a bike by him repeatedly { but calmly and quiet } be patient and show him its nothing to fear. Since you dont have experience with this breed I would also suggest maybe getting him invovled in a puppy class for socializing and then find a good trainer who can work one on one with you and help with some of the individual needs your pup might need. Really this is just a stepping stone and depending how you handle this it can make things alot more easier in the future or it can escalade into something worse later on, fear can turn into aggression depending on the situations so this something to address now. If yuo post your location we can help find a trainer in your area, or talking to performance kennel she would be the one to talk with and probably has someone she can refer you too.
iim from bronx, ny

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im going to try some classes maybe it will help him out...when he is outside with my kids or my brother he is a totally different dog he is playful running jumpin and all the things i would like to see but when its just me and him he acts scared of everything

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If he were abused he would show it at all times, not just in one place.
If he is shy, nervous, and fearful, it is most likely hereditary...
There are two choices for you:
1. Get immediate help in training, which may help, but never fix it completley. This will cost you money. The APBT is to be totally without all of this, so,
2. You must ask yourself, "Do I want a dog like this when grown?" Do not allow yourself to feel sorry for the pup's faults. This pup is a perfect example of poor breeding. If this is your first APBT, why not get a well bred one that will give a true representation of the breed. What I'm meaning is, put it down. I would. I've had one like that, and it's bad...nothing but trouble comes from dogs like this. Why not get the real deal, and be free of any mental or physical health problems?

Just my opinion, but that's what I'd do, rather than give it back, and risk that poor example of the breed to breed other poor examples. If you start with a quality APBT, you'll never have to worry about getting ripped in the future, and you'll never be satisfied with less.
what do u mean by APBT? n he is not hand shy neva had a problem with someone pettin him....its just on walk his tail is between his legs he just looks scared and tha size he is people are scared of him lol

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
what do u mean by APBT? n he is not hand shy neva had a problem with someone pettin him....its just on walk his tail is between his legs he just looks scared and tha size he is people are scared of him lol
American Pit Bull Terrier

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
im going to try some classes maybe it will help him out...when he is outside with my kids or my brother he is a totally different dog he is playful running jumpin and all the things i would like to see but when its just me and him he acts scared of everything
Don't get discouraged. Keep spending time with him you need to establish yourself as the leader and continue to work with him. Try doing different things with the pup just you and him like playing tug of war with a rope. Take him to the park and bring a ball. These are all activities you can do with your pup to bond and build a relationship with him gaining his trust and building his confidence at the same time. And continue to use treats and praise to reward him when he's done something worth rewarding. You can take him to obedience classes as well this will give you a lot of time to work with him one on one.

·
Registered
225 Posts
One of mine was shy as a very young pup too. Afraid to walk more than 30 ft. too far from the house when on a 'walk' (on a leash, just put on the breaks and 'shake'), hid behind me when other dogs or noisy children came near, etc. etc. The others gave you good advice, socialization, gentle acclimation to different situations, and development of a relationship changed all that.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I don't agree with the advice to put this dog down just because it's afraid. It clearly hasn't been socialized appropriately to the outside world. It's not the dog's fault it's afraid and it certainly doesn't mean it should be put down. Maybe if it was turning that fear into aggression, but this dog, even terrified, is choosing to run rather than fight. That shows a good pet dog, IMO, and one worth working with.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I would never tell someone to cull a pup unless it had severe birth defects. You can't even tell the true temperament of a dog until it's at least 2 years old. How do we know this pup is unsound? I know plenty of dog's that come right off Tom Garner's yard that have had issues with shyness due to poor socialization and those are some fine bulldogs indeed. I wouldn't cull a pup because it's shy and needs work on building self confidence. I don't even know what kind of dog this guy owns because I haven't seen a pedigree.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks everyone for the advice i'm not going to put down my dog just want to see him more active outside then looking like a scared bug in a room full of giants

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would never tell someone to cull a pup unless it had severe birth defects. You can't even tell the true temperament of a dog until it's at least 2 years old. How do we know this pup is unsound? I know plenty of dog's that come right off Tom Garner's yard that have had issues with shyness due to poor socialization and those are some fine bulldogs indeed. I wouldn't cull a pup because it's shy and needs work on building self confidence. I don't even know what kind of dog this guy owns because I haven't seen a pedigree.
my girl i got from garner was very shy at first too. so much so that i had considered returning her after i brought her home. after a week she was no longer shy. even then she was only shy around people, not other dogs. i also dont agree with culling an animal for shyness. i wouldnt breed an APBt that was afraid of other dogs but i see no reason to cull the animal as a puppy when its clearly just being raised as a pet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts