Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone my King start sniffing more than out the norm in the same area he go and run at. Just to gain info what are some thing that will gain a dogs interest beside food ?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I think you're asking why dogs sniff.

If so, they sniff for a few reasons. First, that is their primary sense to get information. It goes nose first, then eyes, then ears. That's why a dog's head is designed the way it is (front to back).

Anyway, they sniff to get the scent of other dogs. Usually if they smell another dog's scent, it's squattin' time. They also sniff to determine if something is food or not.

I'm sure there are some additional reasons...just can't think of them now.

Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I just asked that because his head be down sniffing almost the whole time he be outside and he goes out three to four times a day and for about 1 hour. and just for to the last two days he was doing that.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Pitbulls, being terriers, are really alert to rodents and other varmints. If you've got rats or mice, possums, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits or any other critters that might walk through an area, you can bet your dog will be very interested. My old dog used to smell out and dig up moles from under the ground.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts