Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might seem like an odd question, but my pup does not always finish the entire bowl of food. Thing is, she goes back and forth from her food bowl and takes water breaks and drinks. When she goes back into the food bowl her lips and whiskers are wet and dampens the food. Is it ok to save it for her next feeding or, will the wetness some what degrade the content of the food? I don't want her to get sick from feeding mishandled food.

·
Registered
816 Posts
give her the food first....when shes done....the serve her her water right before u empty out the food bowl

would seem easy fix....she ll learn to eat when the food is served or wait til the next one

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I always leave the soggy kibbles the rest of the night and then toss them when I fill the next one. But that's just me. I don't think anything would be wrong with re-serving them though. Unless you see mold or something its cool.

Reactions: strongmasseters

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
hey you got it good.. most wont stop til its gone, or lightning eat it.. yours is just taking her time, which is healthier anyway.. and soggy food is cool.. thats what I tell people to do to wean their pups on kibble.. add water and let it sit... it would take awhile (more than a whole day) for the water to react and start to degrade the food or cause growth..
Youre good man :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
This might seem like an odd question, but my pup does not always finish the entire bowl of food. Thing is, she goes back and forth from her food bowl and takes water breaks and drinks. When she goes back into the food bowl her lips and whiskers are wet and dampens the food. Is it ok to save it for her next feeding or, will the wetness some what degrade the content of the food? I don't want her to get sick from feeding mishandled food.
If she doesn't completely eat the food. Just take it away once she's done.

Stick to a schedule and never leave the food out for too long and always feed the exact same amount. Use a measuring cup if you have to.

Reduce the portions to what she'll actually eat or a little less than that and feed her two or three times a day instead. If you want to incorporate some yummy stuff (mine like apple, cucumber, chicken whatever your dog likes) you can do that but do not leave the food out with an already picky eater.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I have a few who dont finish meals regularly. I just remove the bowl and they get it at the next meal. We dont soak kibble or anything so it can be reused next meal. { I dont leave food out as one of my dogs is highly food aggessive , so would cause issues leaving food out}.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
give her the food first....when shes done....the serve her her water right before u empty out the food bowl

would seem easy fix....she ll learn to eat when the food is served or wait til the next one
Ok I tried this last night and her throat got dry, lol, and she lost her appetite by the time I filled her water bowl :/

I always leave the soggy kibbles the rest of the night and then toss them when I fill the next one. But that's just me. I don't think anything would be wrong with re-serving them though. Unless you see mold or something its cool.
Does making them soggy with water increase appetite? I am trying to get her to eat the amount she should (like she has before). Her appetite is up and down, and for her weight and age she should be eating 2 cup servings. Its on and off though with her appetite. I am taking her to the vet to get her her first set of shots (irresponsible breeder was stupid and didn't do them like they should have at 6 weeks)

hey you got it good.. most wont stop til its gone, or lightning eat it.. yours is just taking her time, which is healthier anyway.. and soggy food is cool.. thats what I tell people to do to wean their pups on kibble.. add water and let it sit... it would take awhile (more than a whole day) for the water to react and start to degrade the food or cause growth..
Youre good man :)
Thanks! She has eaten food crazy fast before! Her paws/bone structure and loose skin lead me to believe shes gonna be big.

If she doesn't completely eat the food. Just take it away once she's done.

Stick to a schedule and never leave the food out for too long and always feed the exact same amount. Use a measuring cup if you have to.

Reduce the portions to what she'll actually eat or a little less than that and feed her two or three times a day instead. If you want to incorporate some yummy stuff (mine like apple, cucumber, chicken whatever your dog likes) you can do that but do not leave the food out with an already picky eater.
Definitely. I feed her at 12 hour intervals.

This is her schedule and I am VERY adamant to following.

-Wake up 6 am immediately out to pee (reward with treat)
-Feed immediately after morning business
-6 pm feeding (4 hour before bed time).
-Remove water bowl at 8 pm (2 hour before bedtime)

Right now I am reading up on crate training and trying to implement the method.

I have a few who dont finish meals regularly. I just remove the bowl and they get it at the next meal. We dont soak kibble or anything so it can be reused next meal. { I dont leave food out as one of my dogs is highly food aggessive , so would cause issues leaving food out}.
Thank you! :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Right now I am reading up on crate training and trying to implement the method.
Instead of crate training, use crate games. Instead of feeding her, you can use the food to play crate games with her or simply re-place it with high value. I love the Natural Balance Sausage Rolls. They have a strong smell and come in different flavors. Use little portions and do it several times a day, if you have the time for it. That way she gets her food, and you don't overfeed.

Grate Games are an absolutely amazing tool and not only teaches the dog motivation and love for the crate but impulse control and it will help you with so many things later down the road with obedience and other things.

Instead of the sit, personally, I'd use the down, especially when you take your dog with you and he travels in a crate.

I swear on those games. One of my bitches was 15 months old when I got her. Completely green, the epiphany of high drive and Landshark and crate games gave her self-control, impulse control, patience and focus. To top it all off, she learned to love her crate. :)

That's definitely one way to crate train your dog. :)
Plus, the dogs learns to make a choice for himself, since you don't say anything at all during that training and only reward him in a positive way, you shape the dog and make the dog decide for himself that the crate is a wonderful place to be. Even better, the dog learns to stay until you release the dog in a completely motivational manner. No compulsion, or anything else is used.

Those games have their origin in Agility and they are used by Schutzhund, SAR, Agility and Obedience people and they really work, since they truly have an influence on many different training aspects.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Instead of crate training, use crate games. Instead of feeding her, you can use the food to play crate games with her or simply re-place it with high value. I love the Natural Balance Sausage Rolls. They have a strong smell and come in different flavors. Use little portions and do it several times a day, if you have the time for it. That way she gets her food, and you don't overfeed.

Grate Games are an absolutely amazing tool and not only teaches the dog motivation and love for the crate but impulse control and it will help you with so many things later down the road with obedience and other things.

Instead of the sit, personally, I'd use the down, especially when you take your dog with you and he travels in a crate.

Crate Games Part 1: Zelda 13 wks - YouTube

I swear on those games. One of my bitches was 15 months old when I got her. Completely green, the epiphany of high drive and Landshark and crate games gave her self-control, impulse control, patience and focus. To top it all off, she learned to love her crate. :)

That's definitely one way to crate train your dog. :)
Plus, the dogs learns to make a choice for himself, since you don't say anything at all during that training and only reward him in a positive way, you shape the dog and make the dog decide for himself that the crate is a wonderful place to be. Even better, the dog learns to stay until you release the dog in a completely motivational manner. No compulsion, or anything else is used.

Those games have their origin in Agility and they are used by Schutzhund, SAR, Agility and Obedience people and they really work, since they truly have an influence on many different training aspects.
Sorry I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is the difference between crate games and crate training? I am a total noob when it comes to crate/potty training. Crate training is when you put your dog in the cage, making sure you don't attend to him/her when they cry. And taking them out at intervals so they can pee/you can reward them for peeing. And crate games is games you can play with your dog to enjoy the crate more? Do they get potty trained as well as crate trained?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is the difference between crate games and crate training? I am a total noob when it comes to crate/potty training. Crate training is when you put your dog in the cage, making sure you don't attend to him/her when they cry. And taking them out at intervals so they can pee/you can reward them for peeing. And crate games is games you can play with your dog to enjoy the crate more? Do they get potty trained as well as crate trained?
Crate Games is a form of Crate Training.
Crate Training teaches a dog to rest and sleep in a crate. But what happens as soon as you open the door? The dogs bolt out. When you have a dog in the car, what happens when you open the car door? The dog bolts out the door. What happen when you open the front door? Most dogs bolt out.
When you have a ball in your hand and your dog is extremely driven and you take the ball off that table, some dogs jump for the ball an get your hand in the process. My dog would steal an apple right out of my hand.

Now what does that have to do with Crate Games?

With Crate Games you make the dog decide for himself, he doesn't just rest in the crate, he learns to love the crate and to decide for himself that it's better and more beneficial to stay in the crate until YOU release the dog. And all that has a huge impact in anything you do.
Through these games she learned to sit and wait rather than acting on her impulses. It's all about controlling their impulses and you don't need the yank and crank method for it and the best thing is, THEY THINK it's in their best interest and decide for themselves.

The dog learns to listen and focus on what you do, they get motivated and have fun being in the crate and work with you. Especially a puppy that age is perfect to start out with those games.

Nala did not know what the down is, nor did I teach her the stay command. Through the crate games, once she learned the down, she stayed down automatically just because she learned to wait for my release through the games.

Many people teach the down first and then the stay command and it takes ages to build up a stay under distractions. Etc etc etc.

With the crate games, you can do all that from the very beginning. :)

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crate Games is a form of Crate Training.
Crate Training teaches a dog to rest and sleep in a crate. But what happens as soon as you open the door? The dogs bolt out. When you have a dog in the car, what happens when you open the car door? The dog bolts out the door. What happen when you open the front door? Most dogs bolt out.
When you have a ball in your hand and your dog is extremely driven and you take the ball off that table, some dogs jump for the ball an get your hand in the process. My dog would steal an apple right out of my hand.

Now what does that have to do with Crate Games?

With Crate Games you make the dog decide for himself, he doesn't just rest in the crate, he learns to love the crate and to decide for himself that it's better and more beneficial to stay in the crate until YOU release the dog. And all that has a huge impact in anything you do.
Through these games she learned to sit and wait rather than acting on her impulses. It's all about controlling their impulses and you don't need the yank and crank method for it and the best thing is, THEY THINK it's in their best interest and decide for themselves.

The dog learns to listen and focus on what you do, they get motivated and have fun being in the crate and work with you. Especially a puppy that age is perfect to start out with those games.

Nala did not know what the down is, nor did I teach her the stay command. Through the crate games, once she learned the down, she stayed down automatically just because she learned to wait for my release through the games.

Many people teach the down first and then the stay command and it takes ages to build up a stay under distractions. Etc etc etc.

With the crate games, you can do all that from the very beginning. :)
Thank you VERY much! Ok then crate games it is. This might be totally irrelevant, but when trying to potty train...when they get used to lovin the crate they don't crap where they sleep...so by crate training its beneficial in the way they try to hold their pee/poop in then capitalize on praising them when outside to pee/poop (since they'll be loaded).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thank you VERY much! Ok then crate games it is. This might be totally irrelevant, but when trying to potty train...when they get used to lovin the crate they don't crap where they sleep...so by crate training its beneficial in the way they try to hold their pee/poop in then capitalize on praising them when outside to pee/poop (since they'll be loaded).
No worries, they won't poop into the crate. :)

There is a lot of material on crate games on youtube.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Does making them soggy with water increase appetite? I am trying to get her to eat the amount she should (like she has before). Her appetite is up and down, and for her weight and age she should be eating 2 cup servings.
She's 11 weeks? 2 cups of food is a lot per serving.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She's 11 weeks? 2 cups of food is a lot per serving.
Really? Its starting to really worry me now I am have to cut up treates and mix them so she at least eats half the bowl. This is the guide I am following:

Large Breed Lamb and Rice Puppy Food - Diamond Pet Foods

Pitbulls are large breeds right? I got this food recommended to me by someone in this forum. Also her energy expenditure is not high, and not by choice. I am waiting for the weekend to give her her first set of shots since the stupid breeder didn't give the first set at 6 weeks. I am worried if I take her for a walk she will catch something from another dog.

So could it be the combination of: location change, new dog food (they were feeding her benefull...gross), and lack of walks?

Her head has gotten bigger but it does look like she has leaned up a bit.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
No they are not large breeds. Id just stick with normal puppy food and we usually did 1 cup per feeding 3x a day for those under 4 months then 2x a day after that. What they dont eat pick up and remove after meal time. Here its about 15-20 min for eating then dishes get picked up. They will eat when hungry. Also watering it down is only needed if there teeth arent fully in usually by 8 weeks they should be able to eat kibble unsoaked 10 weeks max.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
as long as she is healthy you should be good, but agree with Angel, this is not a large breed. That is more for dogs who will end up being over 125lbs+ typically. Also, the bags will tell you to use more food because then you need to buy more food faster.

Find out what works for your pup, if she is eating less adjust, if she is eating more, adjust, basically until she is older and you can gauge her weight easier and she isn't getting growth spurts and what not. My boy is 3, neutered, and gets 3/4 cup of kibbles 2 times a day. When he was a puppy he ate 1 1/2 cups 3 times a day.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No they are not large breeds. Id just stick with normal puppy food and we usually did 1 cup per feeding 3x a day for those under 4 months then 2x a day after that. What they dont eat pick up and remove after meal time. Here its about 15-20 min for eating then dishes get picked up. They will eat when hungry. Also watering it down is only needed if there teeth arent fully in usually by 8 weeks they should be able to eat kibble unsoaked 10 weeks max.
THANK YOU SO MUCH. I was sooooo worried about her. Like I was in class and couldn't even concentrate about what the teacher was saying because all I could think about was my pup not getting bigger.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
if your ever worried about weight post pics we can say if she is too thin. I wouldnt compare a puppy to any other though they are each different. You will notice her appetite increase like mentioned above if they hit a growth spurt and then it may die of and seem like she is hardly eating its normal. As long as she is drinking, active , alert, stools are normal and isnt losing weight its most likely ok.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
as long as she is healthy you should be good, but agree with Angel, this is not a large breed. That is more for dogs who will end up being over 125lbs+ typically. Also, the bags will tell you to use more food because then you need to buy more food faster.

Find out what works for your pup, if she is eating less adjust, if she is eating more, adjust, basically until she is older and you can gauge her weight easier and she isn't getting growth spurts and what not. My boy is 3, neutered, and gets 3/4 cup of kibbles 2 times a day. When he was a puppy he ate 1 1/2 cups 3 times a day.
Thank you! What did you feed him as a pup? I heard they will eat more if you get them something like beneful/kibbles.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
benful is garbage. Eating moer isnt always best I find a higher quality kibble they will eat less as they dont need as much to get the nutrients they need and in turn feel fuller on a smaller amount. I hear alot of people talking about going through 3-4 bags of cheap food a month and then switch to a better kibble and notice they only use 1.5-2 bags a month. I would stick to a good quality , things like acana, orijen, BB wilderness, TOTW , Kirkland if your on a budget { costco brand}.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts