Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My back yard is fenced in pretty good and I have a good visual of the yard (except for behind the shed) but it is super dark at night. There are no street lights or city lights. We live out int he county. When letting the dogs out someone always goes out with them (mostly me). every now and again an animal whether its a cat, skunk, opposum, etc. will wonder in and not make it out alive. I've only caught the dogs "in action" & stopped them three times. Once was the skunk. I stopped that one for obvious reasons although it was too late- lol! the second time it was a stray cat that looked like a skunk. I know its gruesome it was funny in a sick kinda way to see a apbt & a yorkie on each end of a cat playing tug-o-war. (the cat is still alive). the last time i tried to stop a killing was two days ago. it was a rabbit. The rabbit was already dead when she dropped it. The reason I called her off was I'm worried about the parasites & stuff that wild animals carry. Every time I gave them baths immediately b/c i was worried about the funk since they're housedogs.
So what do you all do? I know its instict regardless of breed (still trying to convince my husband of that- he's a part time dummy)

· Registered
287 Posts
my dogs are all up to date on their shots so i let them do their thing. aside one rather gruesome display where my then chained dog had killed and was eating this big raccoon i havent had any real issues.

· Registered
6,174 Posts
my backyard backs up to hundreds of acres of woods.Part of my yard is wooded.When I let mine out at night I go with them too.But sometimes an animal will be out there.I just hope that the animal makes it to the fence before my dogs get to him.lol.
It's quite comical when they realize there's an animal out there and they go hauling butt after it through the woods.One time Pretty Girl was chasing an animal and came across part of an old wire fence sticking up outta the ground that she couldn't see in the dark.As soon as she hit that wire she cut a flip.She just got up looking around like what in the heck was that?!

· Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
If Kane catches something, I let him finish the job because I'd feel bad if I tried to get it away from him while it was still alive and had it suffer. Kane knows what he's doing. He's even gotten some "fast food" before--he saw a vole running around in the grass next to the sidewalk on one of our walks and snapped it up and swallowed it in one gulp. I didn't even realize what had happened until it was all over, and I had to laugh. :)

· yea, i'm that guy
2,448 Posts
i get a lot of birds in my backyard, crapping all over my patio so i go to pop them off w/ my pellet gun.. Daisy will catch them mid air as they're falling.. lol.. no animals or anything here so my dogs go out alone.. they usually book it to the back fence because cats hang out back there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.