Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Sometimes if mine are doing something they're not supposed to be doing and aren't quite listening as much as I would like them to I clap my hands real loud while saying no to get their attention.
I'm sure some others with better advice than that will chime in to help as well.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Its not usually the word that gets my dogs attention its the tone of voice, have you tried a different tone, if they dont respond you may have to go to them and correct it , redirectthere attention to you. Having them on leash when they are ignoring you helps to correct that faster i find.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use a really dominant tone when I am trying to get her attention. It works, but lately, it seems she has just been like pfft. I dont have to listen to youuuu. That's how I feel about it anyways... :/

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Then that mean there is nothing to back up the voice. If all you ever say is no without any correction to follow up then "no" means nothing. Example they are chewing a sock, if you say "no" and go pop on the leash and take the sock away you have reinforced the "no". Puppies or even adults should be kept on leash in the house so you can make corrections if they are doing bad behaviors. Without a leash you cannot correct properly. Yelling at a dog does nothing. So what is your dog doing wrong that needs correcting?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then that mean there is nothing to back up the voice. If all you ever say is no without any correction to follow up then "no" means nothing. Example they are chewing a sock, if you say "no" and go pop on the leash and take the sock away you have reinforced the "no". Puppies or even adults should be kept on leash in the house so you can make corrections if they are doing bad behaviors. Without a leash you cannot correct properly. Yelling at a dog does nothing. So what is your dog doing wrong that needs correcting?
She is nipping worse now than she did when I first got her.... It's getting a little out of hand... I don't know if its because she is losing some of her baby teeth and they hurt or if she's bored with her toys... She has also been taking my son's toys and running away chewing them up before I can get ahold of her. She used to obey when I told her to spit it and leave it.... Now, I get no response at all...

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Put her on leash so you can catch her and correct her when she gets something she is not suppose to have. You can put her on a long leash like 10 feet, get a cheap long leash from like the dollar store, she may chew on it. When you cannot watch her put her outside if you have a secure back yard or put her in a crate. When you can watch her put her on leash, close the bedroom doors so she cannot get into trouble and try to monitor what she does. If she gets something she is not suppose to have tell her no pop the leash and take it away. replace it with something she can have like one of her toys. I love to have a toy basket for my dogs and I will take my pups over to the toy basket and give them something they can have. You are teaching them what they can and cannot have. Same thing if she is biting (this has nothing to do with teeth hurting) correct her with the leash and tell her no. Biting is one thing you should not tolerate. Puppies bite for everything and that is how they express themselves with other pups. You are not a pup, no tooth to skin contact should every be allowed not even in play.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Put her on leash so you can catch her and correct her when she gets something she is not suppose to have. You can put her on a long leash like 10 feet, get a cheap long leash from like the dollar store, she may chew on it. When you cannot watch her put her outside if you have a secure back yard or put her in a crate. When you can watch her put her on leash, close the bedroom doors so she cannot get into trouble and try to monitor what she does. If she gets something she is not suppose to have tell her no pop the leash and take it away. replace it with something she can have like one of her toys. I love to have a toy basket for my dogs and I will take my pups over to the toy basket and give them something they can have. You are teaching them what they can and cannot have. Same thing if she is biting (this has nothing to do with teeth hurting) correct her with the leash and tell her no. Biting is one thing you should not tolerate. Puppies bite for everything and that is how they express themselves with other pups. You are not a pup, no tooth to skin contact should every be allowed not even in play.
Thanks for the advice. I will go get my long leash out of the car pronto :), and she is crated when I am not present. I do have a yard, but I do not trust the neighbor dogs on trying to get her. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
:goodpost:Great advice Lisa!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts