Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so im NOT looking to get one of these, but i like the look of this breed (if really a breed) and was wondering what you guys think of them. The "Canis Panther". :confused:

I did a bit of research but it doesnt say much. I know there is a few breeders around here...

Looks like a doberman mix if you ask me...

Attachments

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Is it a beauceron? They look dobie'ish. They are gorgeous dogs! I've met a few in person when I've gone to schutzhund events.

I just googled them! Looks like they were created by using black lab, Doberman, pit bull, and great dane. Interesting
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canispanther.htm

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it a beauceron? They look dobie'ish. They are gorgeous dogs! I've met a few in person when I've gone to schutzhund events.
No its not a beaceron, beaceron have the same colors of the dodies, heres what i found while searching "Their fur is short. Colors include Black, Chocolate, Fawn/Buckskin, Blue/Gray. Canis Panthers are solid in color."

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
No its not a beaceron, beaceron have the same colors of the dodies, heres what i found while searching "Their fur is short. Colors include Black, Chocolate, Fawn/Buckskin, Blue/Gray. Canis Panthers are solid in color."
Yeah, I see that now that I googled them. I'm on my phone so at first glance on my small screen it looked like a beauceron. I actually posted a link to the breed info on them ;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Looks to me a little great danish... mix with a lil bully and dobie... LOL they're gorgeous... but I've never heard of them before... Big dog... pretty puppy :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Yes, I wonder if they would be put in a "bandogge" category because of the breeds they are crossed with. Maybe KM will chime into this thread and enlighten us :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
wow...... I'm pretty good... I just now read that breed info.. and I hit some of those mixes on the head... YAY ME lol

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow...... I'm pretty good... I just now read that breed info.. and I hit some of those mixes on the head... YAY ME lol
Yea, all you were missing was black lab.. but i couldnt see the black lab in them neither lol

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Yes, I wonder if they would be put in a "bandogge" category because of the breeds they are crossed with. Maybe KM will chime into this thread and enlighten us :)
In essence, yes.. We are talking about a "cross breed" with the purpose centered around personal protection and among other duties.. I don't have a great deal of experience with these CP's however there seems to be a huge lack of consistency thrown in terms of function/ability.. It seems the majority have been bred more under pet radar than anything though that can really be said with the term Bandog to begin with if there is no meaning behind producing, education, etc.

Canis Panthers can be shown and compete in PPDA, though PPDA is owned and ran by the breeders so naturally you have a conflict there to begin with putting aside what point there is.. You can't measure ability through what others suggest of the hound, the hound has to prove that ability for him/herself...

The foundation is also a bit odd to me because if you look at the finished dog, theres not much separating the CP to the Dob.. Which begs the question why? It's not something i would feed because it offers nothing "special".

·
Registered
399 Posts
The foundation is also a bit odd to me because if you look at the finished dog, theres not much separating the CP to the Dob.. Which begs the question why? It's not something i would feed because it offers nothing "special".
:goodpost:

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
In essence, yes.. We are talking about a "cross breed" with the purpose centered around personal protection and among other duties.. I don't have a great deal of experience with these CP's however there seems to be a huge lack of consistency thrown in terms of function/ability.. It seems the majority have been bred more under pet radar than anything though that can really be said with the term Bandog to begin with if there is no meaning behind producing, education, etc.

Canis Panthers can be shown and compete in PPDA, though PPDA is owned and ran by the breeders so naturally you have a conflict there to begin with putting aside what point there is.. You can't measure ability through what others suggest of the hound, the hound has to prove that ability for him/herself...

:goodpost: Thanks for the info KM....always great to hear your input. I also ask this.....

This breed was developed in the USA in the 1970s by Mr. Cleotha " Scorpio " Jones, Mr. Michael Stratten, and Mr. Lucas Lopez by using the Black Great Dane, Black Labrador, Doberman Pinscher, and the Staffordshire Terrier. Today the Canis Panther breeds true. We have established bloodlines and multi-generation pedigrees.

Is this Michael Stratten related to the "dog man" Stratten himself? I'm not sure if it is just a coincidence...... I think the last name is spelled wrong. I believe Richard Stratton was spelled with an "O" :confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've only heard of them once before...they are sort of like a mixed breed meant for sch etc. Apparently from what I've heard they've kind of died out due to the breed not really excelling in any specific sport.
That's just what I've heard though

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
These dogs have NOTHING TO DO WITH Richard Stratton.

Michael Stratten is the real name for a fellow that goes by the alias "Gypsy."

The Canis Panther is a VERY defensive breed...nervously defensive in fact...and very Dobermann Pinscher like, but even more so. Additionally, they have more physical substance than does a Dobermann Pinscher, and they are sharper and due to an imbalance of drive...a lack of prey drive and a lack of confidence. Their defensive drives are very fearful in expression. Protective yes, but totally reactive and nervous. I do not care for such dogs myself, but for someone that thinks protection is all defense, all the time...and keeps their dog on leash or muzzled all the time...I suppose these dogs would do well at such. I just believe such dogs tend to be stressed and uncomfortable with conflict or training, so they are not the type of dogs I like.

Although Gypsy is an intelligent man, he has some very strange ideas, a chip on his shoulder, and has a lot of propaganda around him...much of which I take STRONG opposition to. I have interviewed the man before...about 10 years ago or so, and that is how I learned more about his propaganda. They guy has a lot of issues. His PPDA organization used to be larger, but due to his ban the bite promotions and his muzzle law promotions his organization pretty much fell apart. Also, many of his trainers were not very knowledgeable or experienced trainers...but despite this many of them referred to themselves as "master trainers" in order to self-promote. Honestly, it was bit disgusting in my opinion.

At one time, people from other organizations were on him like flies on cow pies...and to be honest unjustly so in my opinion...as this was PRIOR to his muzzle law promotions and "ban the bite" propaganda. Gypsy knew I was familiar internet as he had seen some of my videos on line from our program, and he sent me some video footage of one of his dogs doing off leash work...asking me to post it to illustrate his program. I felt bad for the guy due to him being so harshly attacked without just cause at THAT TIME...so I made a mistake of helping the guy for a SHORT TIME...taking bits of the video he sent me and I put it up for him..trying to be nice to the guy. But, honestly, I did him a HUGE FAVOR by not putting it all up as I thought a lot of it was very unprofessional. Soon there after though, I decided to take the video back down...for I since I had personal issues with his lack of professionalism, especially his obedience training, I couldn't in good faith associate myself with the guy. In the full video, one could see the dog worked out of fear and was taught with nearly 100% compulsion. This was the FIRST REASON I chose to cut ties with the guy...as I found it disgusting to be honest. So, while I never put the entire video online, as I wasn't interested in bashing the guy...I did take the edited "good stuff" down off the internet. His sales pitch can sound intelligent and contains some truths, but in practice I felt his program really lacks the professionalism I expect from a "professional trainer."

I also strongly opposed his "ban the bite" idea. He promoted the idea that all dogs should be muzzled in public. I can NOT support this idea...and was a 2nd reason I lost support for him. In his defense though, he came up with the ban the bite idea/promotion after being maliciously attacked by other protection training groups. His error was responding "across the board" by proposing that all dogs should be muzzled instead of coming up with a response that illustrated the legitimacy of his philosophies or that pointed out errors in his oppositions philosophies. This is when he began promoting a "ban the bite" idea..which led him to the muzzle promotions. Gypsy taught dogs to be "protective" with both muzzles on and off, and he expressed that he could sustain his organization by teaching dogs to be protective with muzzles on. I mentioned that I thought the idea was not logical as a muzzle takes away the main tool a dog has to work as a protection dog. Upon hearing this, he replied with what I considered to be insane...stating muzzles could be designed with "spears" and such. This was one reason why I eventually cut all ties to the guy. That idea just seemed wacked and sick to me. The possibility that one would suggest changing laws (even if they were unsuccessful in doing so) in order to find a way or maintain a way to make a living seemed too self serving for me to support...so this was a 3rd reason why I cut ties with the guy.

Now, all that said, I hear he is still doing his thing...so in THAT REGARD...the man has some knowledge and has been able to endure time with protection work. So also IN THAT REGARD...the man deserves some credit even if I do disagree with 3 of his beliefs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts