Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had used peroxide for years and finally heard it is not good after the initial cleaning as it opens up the wound again if repeated. Does rubbing alcohol hurt or is ok on dogs? or would you stick to polysporin? what does everyone recommend { need to stalk up on supplies } And has anyone used this liquid bandaid stuff on dogs before, is it safe to use on them { I have a ton of it from the hospital , not the bandaid brand but similar comes in little glass vials you break and then open the sterile packaging }

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I have used alcohol and witch hazel. I have also used peroxide mixed with a bit of water. I never knew that about the peroxide.....good to know :) also that bacitracin sp? stuff.

Reactions: angelbaby

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was at the store today looking at a ton of stuff but wasnt sure what i could and couldnt use on the dogs , I bought rubbing alcohol and peroxide since i was out { i have always used peroxide on all my animals but then been hearing it kills the good and bad bacteria as well so not good to use more then the initial cleaning you do 1st. also if it scabs the peroxide can break that down and reopen the wound as well so not good} I have used polysporin as well but wanted to know if there was anything over the counter kinda stuff I could get to have on hand for them as well was looking at something called demotrol or something like that i remember it from when i was a kid but i couldnt remember if it stung and says it contains pine oil so wasnt sure if that was ok to use on the dogs or not. I have alcohol wipes as well { but i have always used that to more or less sterilize an area not really for open wounds. } and we always seem to have bottles of iodine around as well , guess that could be used to clean as well.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide can be toxic to cells involved in healing, and Rubbing alcohol will dehydrate the tissue around the wound and stretch it which can sometimes slow healing. Not that they can't be used I just don't. Anti-bacterial soap and warm water are good (make sure soap is rinsed out).

Reactions: angelbaby

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks good to know. what about the iodine , is it a better bet to go with over the alcohol or are there down sides to that as well, the soap sounds fine it doesnt hurt though?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
I haven't seen any reaction to soap, but I couldn't say. We use to have packets that had iodine swabs for wounds but I am not sure of any bad or good sides to it.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that lol , but do you think i ever remember when im out I dont know why I cant and I must miss them at the store every time otherwise i would remember to add those lol , epsom salts . im making a list now while im at the computer and getting stuff from you guys , this way I hopefully wont forget :) thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks ronnie , good info as well , I know all these things for cleaning out wounds and most i can just get my mom to grab from the hospital lol , but I never know if its something I can use on the animals as well . Are most things like this ok for animals if its ok for humans?

·
Registered
901 Posts
I use Karo Syrup or natural honey. I was amazed after Fat Boy was injured really bad. The open wounds from a serious dog fight (started by him). The vet came out with a bottle of Honey. He said it has natural healing agents, infection prevention and pain reliever. It is to be flushed out with sterile water then syrup or honey placed on injury. I was surprised how well it fast it healed. Fat Boy wore a tee shirt because the wound was on his shoulder. I repeated the procedure 3x's/day.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow thats crazy cool , i have never heard of that before who woulda thunk honey hmmmm, good post thanks for sharing that

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
Depending on the wound... superficial injuries like scrapes... I'll juice scrub with soap and water, juice with peroxide and seal it with vaseline. Larger injuries like punctures or gashes i wash the area with betadine, seal with vaseline and put them on Cephalexin 250mg 2x a day.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you get the cephalexin from the vet ? can you just get it without needing it {like just to have on hand?}

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
Fish-flex - 100 Pk - 250 MG per Tablet

Cephalexin, still the same shiz the vet gives you but you can get it over the counter if it's labeled for fish tanks.

I keep both Cephalexin and Ciprofloxacin on hand at all times

Amazon.com: Fish Flox Forte 100 Ct - (Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg): Kitchen & Dining

I use Cipro for Neela because the Cephalexin (keflex) tends to increase the yeast production on her body and she's allergic to yeast. I don't have any issues using the cephalexin on the other dogs though.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
oh yeah, when administering antibiotics I recommend administering it faithfully for 7 days. There are other circumstances which antibiotics are necessary for longer periods, but this is not one of them.

Reactions: angelbaby and Sadie

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Depending on the wound... superficial injuries like scrapes... I'll juice scrub with soap and water, juice with peroxide and seal it with vaseline. Larger injuries like punctures or gashes i wash the area with betadine, seal with vaseline and put them on Cephalexin 250mg 2x a day.

Yep this too:goodpost:

If a wound is larger the dog need's antibiotics or it will get infected and most likely abscess which will need cleaning and draining this is what you want to prevent which is why antibiotics is necessary for larger wounds.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the info shana , ill have to get some.

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
You have to watch though recommending oral antibiotics most people will use them for everything and when you really need to put a dog on it you will have built an immunity to it there for that antibiotic won't work. Antiobiotics if so should be IMO a last resort depending on how bad the wound is ... especially since I read or hear people putting their animals on antibiotics for everything under the sun , they sneezed antibiotics, they had the runs for a day antibiotics, ooo a cut antibiotics ... just use them wisely and according to severity ...

Edit to add: Most of the people replying with answers have experience in a lot of these situations for years of being into animals period not just our breed so our judgement in these circumstances are far different then those of new and/or less experienced owners .... so please to those seek professional (Vet ) advice first , you can always come here to ask the have WE ever used or other ....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.