Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of all the breeds, what drew you to bully/Pitties?
For me, I just love the block head (which is Conner's nick name), the lips 馃ぃ馃榿馃槉, and of course the big silly dorks they tend to be.

I am a tried and true Pug lover, life without a Pug isn't much of a life. But my big silly Conner sure adds a twist to life I wouldn't change for nothing!!
And gotta throw in a word for Willow, my one eyed wonder mini Aussie. She is a total P.I.T.A., but I love her anyhoo.

Registered
There are a variety of reasons why people might be drawn to specific dog breeds. Some might be looking for a specific personality type, while others might be looking for a certain physical characteristic. And still others might be seeking a breed that is known for being good with children or that is especially suited for working purposes.

For many people, the decision to adopt a particular dog breed is based on their personal history with dogs. Maybe they grew up with a certain breed and are looking to recapture some of those childhood memories. Or maybe they have had bad experiences with specific breeds in the past and are now wary of those types of dogs.

In the end, there is no one answer as to why people are drawn to certain dog breeds. Every person has their own individual reasons, and those reasons can change over time.

Administrator
Many years and dogs ago, I rescued a bully mutt that I was told was a pit bull. She was a great girl, and she became very attached to me quickly. I owned/operated an auto repair shop in Chicago, and I had to crate her while I was at work. Every day I would come home from work she would have escaped from the cage. It became a frustrating challenge to try to keep her crated when I wasn't home. I didn't know it at the time, but she had severe separation anxiety. Finally, because I could, I brought her to work with me and she loved it. I soon discovered she was great with my customers and very astute at picking up on shady people and showing her displeasure. With her looks and that "junk yard" dog connotation of an auto shop, I was never once robbed even while other businesses around me were. I credit the dog being there for that. When I had to put her down at 15 years, I didn't want another dog, yet I didn't want to be without one at work. From then on, all my dogs were bully rescues mutts and every one went back and forth to work with me. My girl Athena, that I have now, retired when I did. I love their loyalty, their persistence and how much of a family, kid friendly dog they are. After my boy Titus died last October and always wanting to have a full blooded APBT, I got my new boy Ranger.

Administrator
Ecko was my first BBM. He was happy all of the time. Ready for anything, including naps. He was the best damn dog I've ever had. When he got sick I threw my back out a few times lifting him into my SUV. So while I love bull breeds, I decided I needed to go smaller. That's when pitbullmamainatl posted pics of Geach. I had seen Shorty Bulls before and loved them. So I got Geach and he's perfect. Perfect size, perfect drive, perfect temperament. He was so perfect I went out and got another. LOL! So now I have two and I couldn't be happier. Two different breeders, two different lines. Two different personalities. Both perfect. I don't think I'll ever have another breed. I will always love bull breeds, I just had to down size so I could pick them up as my body ages. Also needed to have more social dogs for my lifestyle.

Registered
I do a lot of sports and training with my dogs and have had a lot of types and breeds over the years. 6 years ago I brought home a shelter bully that blew up my world. We struggled with a lot of things but I also learned a ton. I the long run he has a lot of features I like in a dog and his personality is a fabulous fit for mine. The parts I didn't like is as a bully mutt he is built like crap and so we have to health and durability issues. He is not as confident as a well bred and well raised dog, and he has some mild dog aggression that is not well suited for my life. So I started looking at bull breeds and while I still have him was hesitant to get an APBT or SBT or Amstaff even though I had my eyes on them just because I was worried two that might go at it would be more than I could handle. So, still wanting a dog with similar sport drives, I went for a shorty bull. I'm enjoying the choice. Might still go for an SBT in the future but she is the perfect dog in the here and now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts