Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so last year i used frontline...i was very dissapointed. i put it on the dogs before the summer months and during the summer. but they still caught fleas. it became a hastle because once they caught em it was hard to get rid of the infestation and poor gunnar was all pink n dry from being itchy. so had to bathe him with special medicated oatmeal shampoo for a while. this year i am trying advantix plus for the first time. so far it seems to wrk.today one of the people upstairs brought her dog over. and her poor dog is infested. i ddnt know until i was letting her dog n our dogs sniff eachother. n i noticed all of them scratching. n i am def a hater of fleas so i just took my dogs inside. i noticed one or 2 on them after i took em in. so far they seem fine but i think they def got bitten cuz they have been a bit itchy. its just flea medicine is one thing i hate to waste money on. i hate spending money on crap that isnt cheap but doesnt work. but so far im liking the advantix best out of anything i have tried before.

·
Registered
116 Posts
This year's been hell for fleas here in TN. We've stuck with Frontline, but we've had to treat the yard this year, and that's a first! Used DI earth for the yard because of the chickens and We're just now getting a handle on breaking the flea cycle. This has been the worse year in a verrrryyy long time. I've not havent had a flare of F. Derm. in my big guy 'til this year and he's 7. He looked awful 'til the vet got his meds right.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My vet says fleas in the past two years have developed an immunity to frontline..I use the heartworm med and that keeps mine flea/tick free

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
I use Trifexis for mine. Caesar got a bad case of F. Dermatitis before we could get him on it. It was awful :(
It sterilizes the fleas that do bite, after the first couple of days, there just aren't any fleas. I see the odd one or two (Usually after a long walk) but we haven't had a single infestation in our house this year.

3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well so far advantix plus is working way better for me then frontline. i havent seen a single flea on the dogs after i put it on them. and can anyone tell me why other flea n tick meds just suck!? like the ones in petco tht arent in glass cases...like sentry flea n tick medicine n other cheap name brands. what makes them not work? it seems like most flea n tick medication doesnt do nethng at all..

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
we had them really bad a couple years ago and the advatage wasnt working at all we even bought sprays and treated the house and everything. We started giving garlic pills and havent had any fleas since , If you have them really bad though you have to eliminate them from other sources before you will completely be rid of them , so treating the house and yards are a must.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I just started using frontline about two weeks ago and havent had any fleas at all so far . But I guess it depends on the area and all , my dogs were covered before getting them on this ,works well for me

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
For fleas i use dawn, if i see fleas, get bit by one or any signs i bath in dawn once, wait two days then do it again.. it works. Wouldn't recommend it if you have a serious enough problem as it wont do any good but just to stay a head of the curve every other time i bath my hounds i use dawn..So once every 2 - 4 months. If anyone wants to use this ONLY use the blue one and don't repeat often as it will create more of an issue.

Otherwise for ticks i haven't actually needed to use anything this year, i've pulled a few ticks off here and there but for the most part hasn't been all that bad. Usually i use Advantix when i do need to stock up on it, a local store here cuts me a deal for 5 + packages and end up saving a good bit.

Theres a lot on the market, what works for some doesn't work for others. Some swear by Frontline while others swear it don't work. Whatever you do don't use those cheaper knock off brands, many dogs get sick in some form or another using them

3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i dont plan on switching from advantix plus. works supa great so far...but garlic pills!? rlly??? lol i was always under the impression garlic is horrible for dogs. i ddnt know they made pills like that for dogs. interesting.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
well i dont plan on switching from advantix plus. works supa great so far...but garlic pills!? rlly??? lol i was always under the impression garlic is horrible for dogs. i ddnt know they made pills like that for dogs. interesting.
never used them but heard good things about the Garlic for fleas as well :) they also have a spray I think for the yard...

·
Registered
294 Posts
i actually use the stuff from banfield. i believe its called first shield? i apply it about every 45 days or so, march thru december. never had an issue with it not working. it controls fleas, ticks, and skeeters. my husband started using revolution on his dog but i dont know much about it yet.. just that its super expensive.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Argos was on Frontline when he was young, but I switched to Comfortis, which he has taken with no problems...
Only thing about Comfortis is that they have to bite before they die. But at least they die...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I use Trifexis for mine. Caesar got a bad case of F. Dermatitis before we could get him on it. It was awful :(
It sterilizes the fleas that do bite, after the first couple of days, there just aren't any fleas. I see the odd one or two (Usually after a long walk) but we haven't had a single infestation in our house this year.
A very good friend uses Trifexis for his Lab mix girls and swears by it. It's a double whammy, right? it gets fleas and treats for heartworms, too?

We're using DI earth on the yard right now. We have chickens and I have to be careful about what I use on the yard. We've treated the house and so far we're hitting the right cycle time. 2 weeks and haven't caught or seen fleas on the girls or boy.

Frontline, I was told my my vet, after gripeing about fleas, that Frontline is waterproof, but if you use something other than an oatmeal based shampoo your washing it off your dog. So... i flushed a chunk of money down the drain with each bath. I now know why and how fleas got a foothold.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I tried the whole Diatomaceous Earth thing last year in my yard, I found that it was actually better to just rub it into the dog's fur. It makes him dusty, but it'll have those fleas heading to the hills...

When I spread it around my yard I didn't see much improvement if any...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've used DI earth on the dogs themselves, but it sure will dry out their skin. They got very itchy.

Using it on the yard...I found we have to keep reapplying it. With any rain it gets washed away, thank goodness it's as cheap as it is. I tried to find something more long lasting for the yard that won't kill my chickens but haven't had any luck yet. 'Til then apply...rinse...apply...rinse...apply. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts