Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what food is good for my 6month old pit? im feedin him eukanuba(dry food) NOT WORRYING bout price just want the best food for him so he can stay active and healthy

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Theres really no need to mix wet in with dry food at that age, sometimes mixing wet with dry a dog will scarf it down faster and end up not digesting all the food ate at that time. (vomiting) Occasionally i will buy some high quality wet food as a treat for my dogs (just personal preference as its not needed) but thats very seldom, maybe a couple times a year. Otherwise its always dry.

I personally would recommend:
Orijen - $70 - $90 per 29.7lbs - 38 - 40% protein
Evo - $60 - $75 per 28.6lbs - 36 (i believe) - 42% protein
Acana - $55 - $70 per 29.7lbs - 34 - 38% protein

All three of these are some of the highest quality dog foods when it comes to ingredient and protein source quality. Of course high protein diets should be kept for dogs that are highly active, worked and exercised much more so than just a regular house pet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i personally like canidae ALS (all life stages) its a grain free 5 star food that isnt too hard on the wallet. i have tried taste of the wild but my dog got really bad diarrhea. pretty much if you can get a kibble that is a 5 or 6 star you should be good, just remember if your feed a 6 star food you need to really make sure your dog stays active, once you find a food that you like and your dog i would recommend stay with that food until your dog is about 11 to 12 months old :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
is it cool to mix wet n dry food?
Depends on who you ask ;) Yes, it is cool to add canned food. Your going to get different answers but I mix in canned food because of the moisture content. I don't feel giving a dog a bowl full of dry kibble is sufficient enough for what they need and I have read articles about it that makes alot of sense if you actually think about it. A dry kibble has 10% to 12% moisture and canned food food retains 70% if not more which is more of a species or biologically appropriate diet. Some say you can just add water to there kibble but I'd rather add a can of wet meaty food. This is my opinion and not trying to change anybodys way of thinking but you do what you feel is best for your dog. Personally, I feel that canned food is beneficial to a dogs diet. Here is an article to read :) Food for thought so to speak lol! No pun intended ;)

Pets Protein Dry Food and Disease
The 3 Best Pet Foods for Your Canine or Feline

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I've had good results with Taste of the Wild for my boy. It's ~$47/30lb bag.

A higher grade is better, but ultimately, do what works for your dog. Orijen is supposed to be the top of the top and it's about $80, but I didn't notice a difference between when Kane was on Taste of the Wild and Orijen to warrant spending an extra $40 a month. I'm not saying Orijen is crap compared to TOTW, because it's not by any means, just providing an example of "do what works for your dog".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts