Go Pitbull Forums banner

What got you into the breeds?

Tags
breeds
3K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  Silence 
I got Kane because my ex got Roxie.

I'd always loved dogs -- my mom tells me I had no problems walking up to a dog any size since I was 3 years old -- and had actively pressured her to get one starting at the age of 7. One Christmas she said she had a surprise for me and I was so excited because I thought I was getting a puppy ... and then she pulled out a kitten. I was so bummed out but fell in love with Smokey anyways, and she's still happy and healthy at 12 years old.

Well, I moved out into my own apartment a year ago or so, and thought that this was my chance to get a dog since I didn't have to worry about upsetting Smokey in her old age. My ex was going on and on about pit bulls and how amazing they were -- I was aware of the fact that they got a bad rap, but got most of my information on the breed from him. Wasn't the best thing in the world, because he told me they had locking jaws and other BS like that. Later, after already getting the pups from his best friend's uncle who bred his two pit bulls together for money (hello, BYB :hammer:), when I went online to look up more information (and found you guys), I went back to tell him that pit bulls didn't have locking jaws and that pit bulls shouldn't be over 80lbs, he insisted that he was right and I was wrong.

One of our many arguments over our dogs that never got resolved. Eventually, I chose my dog over him, because even though Roxie was a harder dog than Kane and could withstand my ex's sometimes harsh treatment (believing that these were PIT BULLS and because of that you had to be harsher with them and beat them when they were doing something wrong), Kane couldn't. I hated seeing what he was becoming, losing his confidence.

So, I got stronger for the both of us and ditched the ex. I've put a lot of work into fixing Kane's confidence issues and re-establishing his trust with men and he's come a long ways. At this point, he will approach men on his own and beg them to pet him, as long as they don't reach their hands over his head or body. If they come at him from the side or underneath his chin, he's great.

Anyways. He's an amazing dog, everything I could've wanted and more, and I don't think I'll ever get another breed of dog, unless one comes to me. lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.