Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Quote:"Generally speaking, a game dog is an emotionally stable, easy-going dog, especially good with kids. Gameness should not be confused with aggressiveness. There are plenty of aggressive dogs that are not game. Aggressiveness will propell a dog into a fight but will only sustain him for the first few minutes. Gameness, on the other hand, will not necessarily make a dog fight-happy; but if the dog has no other choice but to fight, a game dog will fight until it wins or dies trying"

This is the TRUE bull dog in a nut shell in my opinion. This is what I have always believed and adhered to. And I will not own a bull dog that does not exhibit exactly that.
Now if we can teach some of the new youngsters this!

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
in my world,reading this,and witnessing it in the realm of the american pit bull terrier are 2 seperate entities.
for those that read it,and never get to experience it,my heart goes out to you.
describing the virtues,and seeing them displayed in the test of the times is the only way to see it 100%.
I'm glad I'm as old as I am.just this once.for I am not bound to the words,as I have seen it in it's truest APBT fashion.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Good post!

Id like to add :)

A game dog is something most of you will never see or even own or even touch. There is dogs that will give what it was bred to do but that doesn't mean gameness is absolute. Gameness isn't a weight pull dog pulling 9k, that means the dog is strong. Gameness isn't a crazy acting foaming at the mouth dog because it sees another dog, that is aggressiveness. Gameness isn't a dog taking a hold, that is what they were bred to do. Gameness isn't a W or Ch, that means he is pit bulldog. Gameness will be absolute destruction with a no quit attitude ever, no eye rolling to the ceiling, no hesitation to move across the line, no pay attention to the surroundings, eyes forward with the world quite except for the opponent accross from them, just full on ass kicking heart from the Go till the fat lady sings.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
That is very awesome; the Dr left out, the APBT does has muscles in place where their strength is in holding, but yeah lock jaw is crap..they hold on cause they want to and cause they can. Just like a Rotti, GSD, and Wolves have more power in snapping and less in holding. We can see this with current bite tests conducted by Brady Barr, NATGEO. Great Read none the less..

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Great post!! :) I'm glad I read this.

That is a very awesome; the Dr left out, the APBT does has muscles in place where their strength is in holding, but yeah lock jaw is crap..they hold on cause they want to and cause they can. Just like a Rotti, GSD, and Wolves have more power in snapping and less in holding. We can see this with current bite tests conducted by Brady Barr, NATGEO. Great Read none the less..
^^agreed. I believe I either read or watched something about that. The muscles for their jaws ARE bigger than other breeds, so they do have more holding power, but they definitely don't have locking jaws.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I believe if you took 100 of each of the dogs they tested bulldogs would bite harder on average, I'm sorry a GSD is not goin to bite harder than a good bulldog period. But lets face you can't accuratlly test a dogs bite force
Good Read.
As for gameness it is rare and most will never experience it.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
As for gameness it is rare and most will never experience it.
maybe for the folks of modern day,but I've stood on several of the tards in the carolinas,and tennessee are.stood there and looked out at 15,20,40 and one yard had 55 dogs back then.not countin puppies.and each one of them had their respective amount of game dogs..

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Good post!

Id like to add :)

A game dog is something most of you will never see or even own or even touch. There is dogs that will give what it was bred to do but that doesn't mean gameness is absolute. Gameness isn't a weight pull dog pulling 9k, that means the dog is strong. Gameness isn't a crazy acting foaming at the mouth dog because it sees another dog, that is aggressiveness. Gameness isn't a dog taking a hold, that is what they were bred to do. Gameness isn't a W or Ch, that means he is pit bulldog. Gameness will be absolute destruction with a no quit attitude ever, no eye rolling to the ceiling, no hesitation to move across the line, no pay attention to the surroundings, eyes forward with the world quite except for the opponent accross from them, just full on ass kicking heart from the Go till the fat lady sings.
Very nice thread Sadie, extremely good read...

MISSAPBT.. I completely agree!!!!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
maybe for the folks of modern day,but I've stood on several of the tards in the carolinas,and tennessee are.stood there and looked out at 15,20,40 and one yard had 55 dogs back then.not countin puppies.and each one of them had their respective amount of game dogs..
Looking at gamedogs on a yard is not the same as "Experiencing" one show it in the box.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
Looking at gamedogs on a yard is not the same as "Experiencing" one show it in the box.
been in many A 'baccer barn,in tarheel,dublin red springs, the green swamp,
knew many of the old boys from that area and the mountains.all through georgia,Tenn, S.carolina and all over Fl.
seen jacobs dogs go,mountain man dogs go,chavis dogs go boudreaux dogs go.been on them yards where they wouldn't have white or mostly white dogs, or OFRN,cause they were to bulky and hard to tear down and bring back.
I seen and know a lil sum sum.

·
Registered
505 Posts
been in many A 'baccer barn,in tarheel,dublin red springs, the green swamp,
knew many of the old boys from that area and the mountains.all through georgia,Tenn, S.carolina and all over Fl.
seen jacobs dogs go,mountain man dogs go,chavis dogs go boudreaux dogs go.been on them yards where they wouldn't have white or mostly white dogs, or OFRN,cause they were to bulky and hard to tear down and bring back.
I seen and know a lil sum sum.
Then consider your self one of the few.

·
s3x drugs and el3ktro
194 Posts
what a good read :thumsup:

but ive owned 3 english staffys and out of the 3, 2 of them were as game or possibly even gamer than my pit is and so good with kids ive never seen any dog as affectionate as my staffs were i never had none of my dogs in a pit and they werent DA but i adopted a male pit who was at least twice the size of my lil black staff and on the second day after i got him the APBT attacked my staffy and geez it was the biggest blood bath i had ever seen i was able to pull my staffy off but then the pit would snap around nd go for the kill i had to go and get my next door neighbour to help me and unfortunatly when we returned the pit was dead.

all im trying to say is we cant count out other breeds gamness just because of the breed or the lack of selective breeding for gameness because you know what they say
"IT'S NOT THE DOG IN THE FIGHT, IT'S THE FIGHT IN THE DOG"

but i have to say thank you for the post its an excellent definition of what a game dog is ive never seen a better description for it.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
what a good read :thumsup:

but ive owned 3 english staffys and out of the 3, 2 of them were as game or possibly even gamer than my pit is and so good with kids ive never seen any dog as affectionate as my staffs were i never had none of my dogs in a pit and they werent DA but i adopted a male pit who was at least twice the size of my lil black staff and on the second day after i got him the APBT attacked my staffy and geez it was the biggest blood bath i had ever seen i was able to pull my staffy off but then the pit would snap around nd go for the kill i had to go and get my next door neighbour to help me and unfortunatly when we returned the pit was dead.

all im trying to say is we cant count out other breeds gamness just because of the breed or the lack of selective breeding for gameness because you know what they say
"IT'S NOT THE DOG IN THE FIGHT, IT'S THE FIGHT IN THE DOG"

but i have to say thank you for the post its an excellent definition of what a game dog is ive never seen a better description for it.
Hey, mate, nice to see another aussie on here. There's a few of us on here as well as some NZers. Welcome to the forum.

I'd go easy on calling your dogs game, though, mate. Just because they've killed a dog in an accidental fight doesn't make it game. It just means it's the one left. Not quite the same thing. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts