Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We adopted Dessa from the Humane society 11 months ago. At that time she was 2 months old and 10 pounds. We were told that she was a apbt. As she is getting older we believe that she may possibly be mixed with something else. She is now just over a year old, 60 pounds, very tall, and very lean and athletic. She is Black with a reddish brown undertone (seal). She has a ton of energy, loves to swim, loves every dog and every person she meet. She can run circles around you and jump onto a table from a standing position. She is a beautiful dog. Do you think she is a mix?

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
I would say Lab(mix, most likely) as her other mix...
Regardless, beautiful dog :)

Thank you for adopting :D

And everyone will tell you this: No papers= you'll never know.
A lot of mixes can "look" pure.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Hmmm...hard to say just by looking. If she is mixed sounds like she has big chunk of APBT. But like mama tank said...you will never know for sure with out papers.

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A MAGNIFICANT DOG THOUGH...CONGRATS! :)

Also, keep this in mind. The original APBT was not bred for looks (I.e big head, wide chest, etc...) it was bred for its abilities to perform.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Hmmm...hard to say just by looking. If she is mixed sounds like she has big chunk of APBT. But like mama tank said...you will never know for sure with out papers.

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A MAGNIFICANT DOG THOUGH...CONGRATS! :)

Also, keep this in mind. The original APBT was not bred for looks (I.e big head, wide chest, etc...) it was bred for its abilities to perform.
:goodpost:

Though i may point out she may not have any APBT in her genes, often mixes can give the visual impression of a certain breed but does not mean they are what they appear. I've seen known boxer - lab crosses resemble APBT's almost to standard however lacked heart, drive, will, etc that defines the APBT.. Aside from that, there was no tie to the breed what so ever.

Shelters often mislabel dogs...With as many dogs that they deal with day to day, lack of knowledge when it comes to individual breeds, characteristics, etc they will "best guess" it and move on.

Ive seen some good ole tree hounds look a good bit like your pup.. Who knows..

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Cute dog. I would say some sort of lab mix.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I see something around the hound family. Such as maybe a hint of grey hound, or whippet

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would say lab but no way to know without paper work. You did a good thing adopting from a shelter treat her like a dog and don't worry about her mix. imo

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also see hound or whippet in her!!! Just cause her snout is so narrow compared to a pit or even a lab!

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts

Though i may point out she may not have any APBT in her genes, often mixes can give the visual impression of a certain breed but does not mean they are what they appear. I've seen known boxer - lab crosses resemble APBT's almost to standard however lacked heart, drive, will, etc that defines the APBT.. Aside from that, there was no tie to the breed what so ever.

Shelters often mislabel dogs...With as many dogs that they deal with day to day, lack of knowledge when it comes to individual breeds, characteristics, etc they will "best guess" it and move on.

Ive seen some good ole tree hounds look a good bit like your pup.. Who knows..

I was going to say this same thing last night.

OP, if you don't know how that dog is bred just simply call her what she is.. An adorable mutt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you every one for the replies! We were also thinking it may be Whippet or Greyhound. When we saw her at the shelter we fell in love with her, not the breed they said she was. I have the most beautiful dog in the world, her exact breed doesn't matter much to me. I was just wondering out of pure curiosity. Its like trying to figure out who the father to your child is. It doesn't make you love your kid any differently, but it sure would be cool to know. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Now that I can see the last 2 pics(they didnt show up earlier for me), especially the last one makes me think Greyhound or whippet even more! Look at her body!!! :)

·
Banned
34 Posts

That's one of the best lines I seen on here! You ain't kidding neither. Shelter folks got they heads screwed on wrong (but who can blame ' em?) Take the purest dog to a shelter, you'll hear a number of breeds mixed in the dog.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts